• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks the this "month" lockdown is a smokescreen. I think the government know already that it will be considerably longer than that. I'd be surprised if the lockdown didn't last until after Xmas with a restriction amnesty on Xmas and boxing day.

Am I the only one who thinks the this "month" lockdown is a smokescreen. I think the government know already that it will be considerably longer than that. I'd be surprised if the lockdown didn't last until after Xmas with a restriction amnesty on Xmas and boxing day.

That's already been widely rumoured. Just saw on Twitter the Mail's front page today says the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read today that holidays abroad or in UK are banned for the next month come Thursday. But no mention of whether foreigners are still able to fly to UK, & wander free from airports without 2 weeks isolation?. Anyone know what the situation is regarding this?. Seems pointless we cant fly abroad, yet allow those from Europe or where-ever to come here & not having to isolate before having their holiday?.

As far as I'm aware the 2 week quarantine rule is still in force (not that I'm too fussed unless there's live football,a gig or theatre to go to).

if I were you I'd take the flu a bit more seriously.I had a bad dose about 10 years ago now, when I was working at the UAB.It laid me low for over a week (only got up to do a couple of classes at Uni. and alsoa few high paying company ones).Had a few students asking me why I bothered to come in at all (as any freelance knows if you don't work you don't get paid). Ever since I've had an annual flu injection.Never bothered before.Reason I mention it at some length is that given the nature of the gig economy I think we can expect quite a few low paid workers (you know those people delivering stuff from supermarkets or Amazon) to work this winter even when they're not feeling well from flu or covid symptoms.

I don't suppose you have ever read the study that says flu jab is ineffective for the over 65's. Still never mind if t makes people feel safer and GP's earn out if, then why not.

Interestingly there are also claims that Covid is more dangerous for people who have had a flu jab than those who have not. Same for non smokers.

Still as long as we all stick to Hands, Face, Distance......No one will stop and ask any difficult questions.

Last edited:
I don't suppose you have ever read the study that says flu jab is ineffective for the over 65's. Still never mind if t makes people feel safer and GP's earn out if, then why not.

Interestingly there are also claims that Covid is more dangerous for people who have had a flu jab than those who have not. Same for non smokers

Still as long as we all stick to Hands, Face, Distance......No one will stop and ask any difficult questions.

My flu vaccination (and my wife's) was free courtesy of the Catalan Health Service.ps they 're normally adminstered by a nurse here in Spain and not a doctor.Can't say I give too much creedence to the other claims you make either.

My flu vaccination (and my wife's) was free courtesy of the Catalan Health Service.ps they 're normally adminstered by a nurse here in Spain and not a doctor.Can't say I give too much creedence to the other claims you make either.

Nothing is for free, that’s why Spain can’t pay its debt.

You have a long record of dismissing anything you don’t know about.... Try looking some info up first.

1.Nothing is for free, that’s why Spain can’t pay its debt.

2.You have a long record of dismissing anything you don’t know about.... Try looking some info up first.

1.thought you might come back on that.I ,of course, meant free at the point of delivery.

2.Just been checking :-

and can't find any evidence for your claims yet.

Interestingly there are also claims that Covid is more dangerous for people who have had a flu jab than those who have not. Same for non smokers.

There are a lot of claims around medical treatments.
MMR especially, and it is likely correct that a very very small number of children will be adversely affected yet a huge majority won't, imo any risk that is on such a scale against the benefit has a value but those affected adversely need 100% support, compassion and honesty.
I suspect to an extent the flu jab(s) is similar and not all are the same or react the same on all folk, but again I will get mine when available.
GPs need their scope, finances and priorities, practices reviewing imo but that is moving into politics.
Smoking? Get on with it, people want to but not near me please, they pay the taxes but I wish there would a development of non nicotine, non addictive substitute that is less harmful and fulfills the smokers wants.

Go on, spice the debate, shoot the awkward question.

I have just got back from town and have not seen Southend High Street so busy in ages.
It appears that lots are out doing early Xmas shopping in light of the forthcoming lockdown

I have just got back from town and have not seen Southend High Street so busy in ages.
It appears that lots are out doing early Xmas shopping in light of the forthcoming lockdown

I noticed how busy it was as well.

Queues outside many shops.

I've read the studies that unequivocally prove that flu vaccines are effective in the over 65s.

No vaccine is perfect. People can take a vaccine and could still be infected, doesn't mean it's not effective, or isn't a good thing. The benefit of vaccination programmes is both to minimise your direct risk by being vaccinated, and also via herd immunity. If people around are vaccinated then it'll be harder for you to acquire it. Herd immunity and potential eradication doesn't need a vaccine to be 100% effective.

Stop spreading misinformation and fake news. Whenever I decide to pop into this thread I always seem to find you in here spouting garbage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back