• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Conservative Leadership Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, on 24th June 2016 Cameron says he's going to resign and as a result there should be a leadership contest.

Enter May, Johnson, Gove, Crabb, Leadsom and Fox. after a Borgia style assassination Johnson goes. Then comes the first round of MP voting, off with the head of Fox and Crabb thinks better of carrying on. Down to three then. Next voting round and bye bye Gove. Two horse race between the two aspiring 'Iron Maidens'. From nowhere Leadsom commits dramatic political suicide giving an interview to Murdoch's Times. Next working day, bye bye Leadsom. During all of this Theresa May does very little on the speeches front (a bit like she did through the referendum campaign).

So only 18 days on from Dave calling time on his job all the faces in the frame apart from Theresa are no more. I wonder whether Mr C will stay until September now.

time for a general election I'd say

Theresa May still needs to be confirmed by the party membership so maybe this week is a bit premature on the PMQs. As for General Election now? - not a chance.

No doubt, that article 50 will be triggered earlier now than the previous expected date of sometime in mid to late September.

My mistake, actually I believe the previous date that it was expected to be triggered was mid to late October.

Cameron was expected to remain as Prime Minster until at least September 9th.

The House Of Commons are in their summer recess between July 21st until September 5th, (so if she wants to do it, she better get her skates on, as she will only have a week).

Maybe the date will remain about the same? and perhaps it will be announced after the Conservative Annual conference, that takes place between the 2nd - 5th October?

Last edited:
No doubt, that article 50 will be triggered earlier now than the previous expected date of sometime in mid to late September.

December at the earliest but more likely January is my bet. I still have a sneaky idea that it wont be triggered at all. We shall see.

Clearly no place for democratic elections involving all the membership in the modern Tory party, as far as leadership elections are concerned.

Just like back in the bad old days when Tory leaders "emerged," rather than were elected as such, really.:winking:

Clearly no place for democratic elections involving all the membership in the modern Tory party, as far as leadership elections are concerned.

Just like back in the bad old days when Tory leaders "emerged," rather than were elected as such, really.:winking:

Leadson pulled out which left 1 candidate, what would be the point of taking it to the membership? Anyway, your mate wants to change the rules so he gets to flog a dead horse a bit more.

Leadson pulled out which left 1 candidate, what would be the point of taking it to the membership? Anyway, your mate wants to change the rules so he gets to flog a dead horse a bit more.

Hardly a "change n the rules".More like a realistic interpretation of them.Bring on the Eagle.:thumbsup:

December at the earliest but more likely January is my bet. I still have a sneaky idea that it wont be triggered at all. We shall see.

I and probably the majority of the 48% 'remainers' hang onto that improbable hope that article 50 will not be invoked. However, as time moves on it becomes more apparent to me that, apart from some legal ruling, invoked it will be. I wouldn't take much comfort in the ascension of May to PM, even if she voted remain.
The Tory establishment 'assassinated' Leadsom but I can't imagine she will have withdrawn without some assurances concerning the application of the referendum result. The party won't hold together unless movement towards Brexit is taken within a reasonable amount of time..........that sounds to me like within the next six months.
If there is any other doubts it could come down to whether the referendum decision has to be ratified by parliament. This could be interesting, yet the Tories will be extremely heavily whipped (some of them will quite like that:smile:) and the future for any conscientious remainers would be pretty bleak. Even if there were a few, I'm sure there are a number of Labour 'brexiters' who would refuse to vote against 'the will of the people.' so I reckon it would be carried........but it would be quite a lively session!

Leadson pulled out pulled out which left 1 candidate, what would be the point of taking it to the membership? Anyway, your mate wants to change the rules so he gets to flog a dead horse a bit more.

that wouldn't be exactly the term I'd use! :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: I think it wasn't so much that she (Leadson) couldn't stand the heat of the kitchen, it was the raging fire that forced her to retreat!

Hardly a "change n the rules".More like a realistic interpretation of them.Bring on the Eagle.:thumbsup:

Bollocks to interpretation, it's changing the rules. Why do I even care!!? Corbyn is slowly killing tbe Labour Party, by keeping him it will just hurry up the whole sorry process.

Carry on.

Theresa May is being very consistent in her assertion that she will honour the country's vote and Brexit will happen. I believe she will make that happen, when is the burning question.

Seems the 1922 Committee are supposed to find a second candidate if there is only one. Hmm...QUOTE]

Wouldn't have really been any point.

Teresa May single handily gained more votes in the first round than the other 4 challengers put together, and did it yet again in the second round of votes.

IMO, the only one that could have de-railed her political ambitions of becoming the next prime minister would have had to have been to put it to the British public via a public internet vote... and the late contender being the one..... the only... the infamous......"Boaty Mcboat Face" :smile:

Theresa May is being very consistent in her assertion that she will honour the country's vote and Brexit will happen. I believe she will make that happen, when is the burning question.
an odd concept as the whole referendum was carried out in a thoroughly dishonest manner and then within two weeks all of the major players had ****ed off and left us to pick up the pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back