• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Based on those two games alone he should have been playing Premier League football...

Shame his attitude stinks... maybe he'd be better in a better side? He was influential at Bristol City when they gained promotion a few years back?

My only two visits to the South stand upper last season were against Gillingham. It was like watching Jonah Lomu in full flow and there no stanchions getting in the way of my view, he was absolute awesome. You question that has to asked is why nobody wants him permanently.

Because wow to you might mean differently for others. We've just signed an ex premier and Championship player and when the deal was being discussed, PB never mentioned WOW at any point.

Just because he didnt mention the word wow when signing Kightly doesnt mean any player he does use the word wow for must be even bigger.

That's reading a lot into one or two words.

A decent ex championship player would still meet his criteria and if people are thinking we are going to sign a premiership player they are likely setting themselves up for an anti-climax, because his wording could easily include far less than that.

That also goes for AF, Cox and MAF. At no time was the word wow used......... Just saying :winking:

But he if we signed any one of them now the statement could apply, the fact he didnt use it back then doesnt mean anything. The fact we would sign one of them AND Kightly could be the thing that warranted the comment for example. ie signing two marquee players shows we mean business, yet none of them are premiership players anymore.

I think now the full quote is out there - less of the player is a "wow", but more "wow, these guys mean business". Thats 2 completely different things and now could be anyone decent really from anywhere.

I'd even put someone like JET into a "wow, these guys mean business" at a stretch.

Indeed.

I would have thought whatever player it is would be a pretty high profile player and beyond what we would expect. As JET was playing at Gillingham I wouldnt have thought he would be high profile enough Im not sure he would have merited the comment though.

We're going for another centre back.

We had a positive goal difference of 17 last season - that's good but Sheffield United had a goal difference of +45 - that's over double ours.

We have the same strike force from last season so if we can improve the defence then we (Southend United) should be getting more points over the course of the season.

Hash tag: Attackstartswithasounddefence

I get the impression from the quote that the "wow" will be an overall impression of our intent rather than just about the next player who joins us. Having said that I would be quite prepared to go "wow" if we sign someone who is so exceptional that he will make the difference between play-off and automatic promotion. It's nice to know that someone is so keen to join that he sends a text. We ARE worth joining after all. Looking forward to a good start to the season...a strong middle bit and a great finish for automatic promotion. We were very close last season and albeit for a couple of duff run of games we would have been in the play-offs at least.

I get the impression from the quote that the "wow" will be an overall impression of our intent rather than just about the next player who joins us. Having said that I would be quite prepared to go "wow" if we sign someone who is so exceptional that he will make the difference between play-off and automatic promotion. It's nice to know that someone is so keen to join that he sends a text. We ARE worth joining after all. Looking forward to a good start to the season...a strong middle bit and a great finish for automatic promotion. We were very close last season and albeit for a couple of duff run of games we would have been in the play-offs at least.

Lets hope it wasn't a sextext when mystery man saw Phil in that rather fetching polo shirt he wore for the Kightly photos.

Just because he didnt mention the word wow when signing Kightly doesnt mean any player he does use the word wow for must be even bigger.

That's reading a lot into one or two words.

A decent ex championship player would still meet his criteria and if people are thinking we are going to sign a premiership player they are likely setting themselves up for an anti-climax, because his wording could easily include far less than that.

But he if we signed any one of them now the statement could apply, the fact he didnt use it back then doesnt mean anything. The fact we would sign one of them AND Kightly could be the thing that warranted the comment for example. ie signing two marquee players shows we mean business, yet none of them are premiership players anymore.

Indeed.

I would have thought whatever player it is would be a pretty high profile player and beyond what we would expect. As JET was playing at Gillingham I wouldnt have thought he would be high profile enough Im not sure he would have merited the comment though.

These of course are your opinions. Why are some of us wrong, yet you're right? Do you know something? You seem quite happy to put us wow people in our place.

Back