• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Barnet 2-1 Southend United

Personally still think we need 2/3 more signings at least. Get wood out. Get an out an out striker and an attacker with bit of trickery and pace to come off the bench. Also don’t think Coker is good enough as a starter . Maybe another attack minded midfielder to come in as well

Something the two Glenn’s on BBC Essex pointed out was crosses not being delivered early enough into the box, and the lack of playing it forward (especially in the added 5 minutes- always back to Collin 🤷‍♂️).

It’s something I posted on the post-Boston thread - why do we seem so scared to go forward again this season?
We never seem to move forward with pace, we fanny about with it until the opposition are all back in defence.

Lost a tight one in the end to a team that will undoubtedly be challenging for the title. 1st half thought we were bossed all over.
2nd half much better, had all the momentum then the penalty deflated the whole thing.
Obviously need a couple more attacking options off the bench, some real pace please maher and Co.
No panic no knee jerk reaction, onto Monday.

A defeat that's tough to take having worked our way back into the match at the start of the second half and scored a well deserved equaliser.
Added to that, Barnet's winner from the spot was completely against the run of play. Despite some naive defending (Taylor?) there was more of a hint of offside in the build up.

With that said, I always felt uncomfortable whenever Barnet attacked. They looked to use pace out wide meaning Gus and Bridge had to do a lot of tracking back to help the back 3.

We played a lot of good football as we always do, but failed to take the few key chances we created. Waldron has got to be putting that headed chance away. Cards too failed to connect properly from a cross with his head.

My biggest criticism was our failure to have a few more shots on target. From memory, only Miley took aim and tried his luck.
Moncur was marked heavily when he came on and couldn't get the ball close enough to goal in order to try his luck.

I think Wood's brief cameo showed us all why Kev doesn't have full faith in him. He failed to hold onto the ball on 3 occasions when it was played into him and he looked well out of his depth.

Barnet were nothing special, however they both defended and passed the ball around well. Crucially though, they always looked that bit more dangerous when moving forward, particularly on the break.

We're a good team....but we're still lacking that something extra in attacking areas that will turn us into a very good team allowing us to pick up points against the top teams.

Last edited:
Don't have anyone that can run at defenders I think that's a big problem. We are too easy to play against.
Yep, same old argument of everything being backwards and sideways.

It IS a bit hard to criticise as this is Kevs style and we could have gone up last year playing it. But we just need an X factor when that approach isnt working. Think Moncur will help, we need to get him starting games (and if we have to bring him off after 60-70 then so be it), but we absolutely need a striker ASAP and has to have pace/trickiery - so I hope the Adarkwa rumours are more accurate than the Bonne ones.

Lost a tight one in the end to a team that will undoubtedly be challenging for the title. 1st half thought we were bossed all over.
2nd half much better, had all the momentum then the penalty deflated the whole thing.
Obviously need a couple more attacking options off the bench, some real pace please maher and Co.
No panic no knee jerk reaction, onto Monday.
Exactly this. It is obvious that our coaching staff know what extras are needed to make us truly competitive, and for now it will be a waiting game, possibly until the FL transfer window closes. We have now played some good teams and this is the first time we have come up short, so we are not the rubbish team that some on here relish saying.

Too many sideways passes in the first half. Not able to penertrate what was an average Barnet team that went long all half.
We managed to find our rhythm after half time. Husin should of stayed on. Coker should of been subbed.
After our goal Barnet made subs that turned the game in their favour. When they score the penalty our substitutions aren't the type that would turn the game around. Again, and I've said it before, Maher lacks the nouse to make substitutions that can influence results.
As for the penalty, I expected the offside flag. But maybe I was just being hopeful!🙄

I have to be honest and I’m open to criticism, but our lack of attacking intent against stronger opponents is becoming a bit tiresome, it is embarrassing how much respect we pay these teams almost as if we know they’re a good footballing side so we’ll frustrate them instead of giving them a footballing battle.. our team has got creativity in abundance but yet we keep the handbrake on and almost as if our priorities lie in a clean sheet instead of scoring 5.. we won’t go up as champions and probably not playoffs with this style of football (safety).

I saw Gateshead won 3-1 again today - they’re not afraid to ship the odd goal but my lord they’re putting serious numbers into the back of the net and are playing exactly how a team looking for promotion should play (no risk no reward) exactly as Stockport did, Wrexham did, Notts did, and Chesterfield did.. I have no doubt we will win against lesser teams but we need to start getting at these higher quality teams and create changes, also passing the ball a bit quicker wouldn’t be a bad idea either..

Besides the negativity to end it on a light note - our support is unmatched and to outnumber the home support challenging for promotion is unbelievable.

Sadly imo we arent going to push forward with Wood, waldron, coker, morton. We'll be upper mid table.

Really feels like the extra subs this year have changed the landscape, we cant just wait for teams to tire and hope to nick one.

Maybe its time to start moncur and try an early high press smash n grab then hold on, it worked well for us last year.

The style and lack of entertainment is a bit concerning in terms of not just results, but attendances over time.

Last edited:
We still need more. Our strongest 11 competes with anyone in this league but where we faulty is our strength off the bench. Take today for example, Morton and Wood are players who are technically good players but aren’t enough to open up games for us. That said, for all the money they’ve spent we more than matched them for periods of the game from what I saw which I admit, was limited due to being in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea on a cruise (which I admit, is softening the blow of defeat somewhat!).
...that's exactly what they're not.
They fail to trap a bin lid for the most part.

Been a fan of Wood, but he was utter pony when he came on today. We will win most games against the poorer teams this season, but the current squad won’t compete against the other top sides. We pay them too much respect.

Play offs at best I think, unless we bring in another couple of attack minded players.

We have a very tough start in terms of fixtures, so let see where we are after Monday.

Exactly this. It is obvious that our coaching staff know what extras are needed to make us truly competitive, and for now it will be a waiting game, possibly until the FL transfer window closes. We have now played some good teams and this is the first time we have come up short, so we are not the rubbish team that some on here relish saying.
To add to the game view....Waldron should have buried that header

Cricko, I don't what colour glasses you watched the game through?! Sadly I'm sorry to say, I don't think we deserved anything from the afternoon. We had a short purple patch at the start of the second-half which led to our goal. The penalty then swung it back in their favour, as it had been for most of the first-half. Cardwell and Waldron missed great chances with headers, both of which should have been, at least, on target, unfortunately the latters was the more glaring miss, with a free header. Once Barnet regained the lead we hardly ever threatened them and our substitutions didn't change things much........Moncur can't do it on his own. I'm not complaining too much it was just a reality check and I suppose, in the end, sadly, BIG bucks count and like Chesterfield and Wrexham Barnet are trying to buy their way back into the league. With that level of support it just doesn't seem sustainable........at sometime the money is going to dry up. Perhaps I should have cooled off before posting? It's been a pretty awful afternoon. Starting with the incompetent mess up by NLTV. Then I kept their commentary on until just before half-time when I got sooo pis'ed off with it. It wasn't so much that It was biased but most of It was about Barnet rather than thé game itself. Will be interesting to see our réaction to that defeat on Monday.

Back