• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something here , how can what he was meant to have shouted out in any way racist ? Was there any mention of colour or race ? He didn’t specifically shout it out at one particular player as I understand it
Because allegedly the black player believed it was a racist comment directed at him?
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t but that doesn’t stop people believing they are being targeted when they aren’t.

I really wasn't going to get involved in this thread BUT.

I think the reason his has been taken as a racist remark is due to the current 'woke' (whatever that is) society we live in. Society is looking to jump on anything that could be construed racist. If this gentleman had shouted out to all white players nothing would be thought of it. However, one of the players was black. If a group of black people shout out Honkey to a white man nothing gets said. One rule for one and no rule for the other.

Before anyone starts on me for being racist let me tell you I am a 65 year old white male. I have a coloured Son in Law and 2 lesser coloured grandchildren, all of whom I love with a passion.

I use the term coloured because my Son in Law is a very dark brown colour and my grandchildren a lovely colour between brown and pinkish. They are not black. Why should I have to use black. It is inaccurate.

Racism is such a sensitive topic at this time. No allowance seems to be given for regional and national slang, sayings etc. Is offence continually taken if 'PET' LASS' is said to woman. My partner has been called Lass by my Mother ever since we became an item. Lass to me indicates a young girl. My partner is no longer that. Our history. (please do not bring up slavery) has happened. Move on. As a world we are moving forward from offensive/racist language but in the mean time cut some slack

I am certain this guy would have been using the term as the Woking players were physical and used this in a suggestive manner that they were behaving like animals and should be lock up as such. If it was just aimed at a coloured person yes I agree it could be construed as more racist in todays world but it was to a group of white (which I do not agree with) and coloured people.

For god sake chill out.

My 10 year old son shouted stop cheating and he said shut up u snowflake which we laughed about but now I’m wondering if I should report it
Yes you should. In todays society that is racist. Make a stand.

I don’t think the guy should have said anything. I don’t think the players should have acted how they did.
I don’t think anybody should stereotype others.
You are allowed to stereotype whites without any problem though.
Strange times...

If you are in the East Greens I guess that had to be me? ........ I stopped swearing years ago and now just resort to "shocking" words like pillock, moron and cretin when shouting at the ref. .............It does make you wonder though how its perfectly acceptable to hurl really filthy stuff at players etc, and no one says a word? ..................Any slight reference to the colour of a blokes skin however, and you can be barred for life? World has gone stark raving mad!!

No the Greens are far to unruly for me. Brawling with players, invading the pitch and wobbly pints of fosters.

I didn't fancy joining the Ayrian Brotherhood in the Reds so its the Captains bar for me with a seat in the Directors. We can here you though so keep up the entertainment.

Your right though the funny comments are drowned out by some vile people. Still in my experience self appointed language police are always hiding something. Just like the grammar and spelling police.

I think the reason his has been taken as a racist remark is due to the current 'woke' (whatever that is) society we live in. Society is looking to jump on anything that could be construed racist. If this gentleman had shouted out to all white players nothing would be thought of it. However, one of the players was black. If a group of black people shout out Honkey to a white man nothing gets said. One rule for one and no rule for the other.

Before anyone starts on me for being racist let me tell you I am a 65 year old white male. I have a coloured Son in Law and 2 lesser coloured grandchildren, all of whom I love with a passion.

I use the term coloured because my Son in Law is a very dark brown colour and my grandchildren a lovely colour between brown and pinkish. They are not black. Why should I have to use black. It is inaccurate.

Racism is such a sensitive topic at this time. No allowance seems to be given for regional and national slang, sayings etc. Is offence continually taken if 'PET' LASS' is said to woman. My partner has been called Lass by my Mother ever since we became an item. Lass to me indicates a young girl. My partner is no longer that. Our history. (please do not bring up slavery) has happened. Move on. As a world we are moving forward from offensive/racist language but in the mean time cut some slack

I am certain this guy would have been using the term as the Woking players were physical and used this in a suggestive manner that they were behaving like animals and should be lock up as such. If it was just aimed at a coloured person yes I agree it could be construed as more racist in todays world but it was to a group of white (which I do not agree with) and coloured people.

For god sake chill out.
well said @Shrimper57.
hopefully your sensible comments calm us all down.

Reactions: 8

For god sake chill out.
Well said that man!!!! 100% agree :Clap:

For god sake chill out.
What would be interesting is the objective opinion from those around the melee.
Was the comment aimed at one person?
Please, unless you were within earshot or eye-shot, if that's a word?, no speculation.

Reactions: 8
Because allegedly the black player believed it was a racist comment directed at him?
I’m pretty sure it wasn’t but that doesn’t stop people believing they are being targeted when they aren’t.
'Pretty sure'? Great! You were close to the problem.
Tell us how you saw it from where you were.

Sorry but it was relevant. It was showing that certain phrases can upset some, but not others. I don't know any man or woman that is upset by by someone announcing Ladies and Gentlemen. A lot don't even know it's banned from announcements. The cricket thing, and the Ladies and Gentlemen things happened after pressure from a anti sexist movement. They had a list of things to change and took action. They've got a lot of words or phrases changed so as to not offend women or gender neutral people. The ICC finally agreed, and said it would attract more women to the game. The 'Get back in your cage saying is again, not offensive to some, but offensive to others. Going by his age, I suspect the person said it in the context it used to be said. Working in plastic injection moulding, double glazing and glass cutting factories in the 70s and 80s, it was catchphrase heaven. Get back in your cage was very common. Quite a few of those catchphrases would be deemed as inappropriate nowadays, but are still used by the elderly, as they don't know they are now inappropriate.
My, there are an awful lot of elderlies who are clueless!
Shall we put this one under sweeping statements, or do you have an age limit in mind?

My, there are an awful lot of elderlies who are clueless!
Shall we put this one under sweeping statements, or do you have an age limit in mind?
Well, you are so desperate to make this out to be a racist attack. Why? I happen to think it wasn't. Yes, in the past I have heard many racist comments at Roots Hall and other grounds. Before the 2000s though, Thankfully not recently.

'Pretty sure'? Great! You were close to the problem.
Tell us how you saw it from where you were.
I didn’t here what was said. But I definitely saw the white player hear the comment turn around and say that’s racist to the fan in the stand. The black player clearly hadn’t heard the comment as he then said to the other player what did he say to me or words to that effect.

As you say it’s important not to speculate but also important to have things in context.

Wonder how that works. surely the white player was invited to make the comp!aint as he's the one classing it as racist. ? sounds like the black player has been told hed had a racist comment without actually experiencing one. Can't believe he was asked if he'd like to complain. Is this the next stage of ambulance chasers ! If that turns out to be the order of events , are we shooting ourselves in the foot. I
We l probably never know the outcome

Last edited:
Congratulations. You have won the prize for the most condescending comment in this thread.
Do tell me what is more condescending than: 'but are still used by the elderly, as they don't know they are now inappropriate'?
'Mind you don't spill your soup, love, and wrap up warm before you go off to that Roots Hall...'

So I was in the front row where it kicked off and the Woking no 6 clearly directed the word c##ts towards the Southend fans.

As its a sexually expletive word derived to describe a female body part can it not be claimed he was using inappropriate sexist language?? Surely any female in that area who heard that could have been offended .....

That's how far accusations are going now just to screw over your opposite....

Certainly if racism was used and meant, its unacceptable, though I'm not convinced what was said was meant in that way as much as the example I've given. However, what is disappointing is that the thuggish behaviour of the Woking players has been completely overlooked. They started the brawl, had a number of aggressors including the manager, and only got a couple of yellows for it which is a disgrace. No further action taken I doubt by the FA ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back