• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing devils avocado, I’d suggest that more exposure to women’s cricket (or women’s sport in general) is what’s likely to attract future generations… not a pronoun.

More and more womens sport is shown live on TV these days, which is a massive driving factor for kids, as this is where their sporting idols are usually formed.

It may never get the exposure that the mens game(s) get, but you can put the blame for that squarely on the fat cats in boardrooms
Now you are being fruitist

It’s not to “not offend” but so as to not discourage girls from taking up cricket, so they can see it as a sport they can play and are treated equally. I can’t imagine anyone (except the Taliban) is against encouraging girls/women to play.

But can we please try and stick to discussing Southend United.
Sorry but it was relevant. It was showing that certain phrases can upset some, but not others. I don't know any man or woman that is upset by by someone announcing Ladies and Gentlemen. A lot don't even know it's banned from announcements. The cricket thing, and the Ladies and Gentlemen things happened after pressure from a anti sexist movement. They had a list of things to change and took action. They've got a lot of words or phrases changed so as to not offend women or gender neutral people. The ICC finally agreed, and said it would attract more women to the game. The 'Get back in your cage saying is again, not offensive to some, but offensive to others. Going by his age, I suspect the person said it in the context it used to be said. Working in plastic injection moulding, double glazing and glass cutting factories in the 70s and 80s, it was catchphrase heaven. Get back in your cage was very common. Quite a few of those catchphrases would be deemed as inappropriate nowadays, but are still used by the elderly, as they don't know they are now inappropriate.

Dear oh dear. I suspect neither are on the internet, by their age. I suspect they are not trying to keep up with what very old sayings means nowadays. I'm sure they would be shocked to know you can't say 'Ladies and Gentlemen' now. Are you O.K. with batsmen, and Ladies and Gentlemen? Because I certainly am, and will never change for no one.
Maybe, but I have at least three relatives over 75 who use the web most days, so difficult to generalise.
Not trying to keep up is a shame. Choosing different terns is their prerogative, I guess.

As per usual all the focus is on the fans. What about the behaviour of players. Without doubt the levels of giving it to the crowd have increased rapidly in the last few years. Time wasting is at record levels. A few minutes after our goal last night we lost our momentum when they faked an injury and regrouped on the touchline. Their manger clapped above his head for shoves in the back that the ref missed.

Back in the day a forward was entitled to put his finger to the lips after 85 minutes of stick and then scoring the winner. Now they even give it trudging off as time wasting sub.

Me personally I never abuse players or mangers with 4 letter words from the safety of my seat but I don't expect some gobby little s*** on the opposition to mouth off to me now that the pitch is this sacred lawn where none must enter or risk a life ban.

I remember players getting cards for inciting the crowd. As we see last night it seem they have a free hit. If your a well paid professional in any career there price is responsibility for your actions.

Part time poster here but can I suggest this thread is closed. There are lots of judgements here from what I will presume are a majority white group of people about whether a comment is racist or not.

If a black player is offended by a comment and considers it to be racist then none of us have the right to question it. The classic white privilege comment that it wasn’t intended as a racist comment simply doesn’t wash anymore.
I don't understand why things like this can't be questioned to be honest. It was in public for those around to see and hear. Why does the players actions and considerations in this circumstance deserve to go unquestioned while the guy that said the remark gets scrutinised and his actions constantly questioned. Is there an immunity going on or something. Everyone is equal surely. Any judgement or considerations must surely include the players actions that caused it too. Surely a person's considerations do not become unquestionable because of being black!
This racism could be seen as confusing sometimes as illustrated by the comments above.

Last edited:
Embarrassed to be a Southend fan after reading the response to the racism allegations from the majority of our fans. The older generation seem so narrow-minded and out of touch with modern day society
Kinda...
But I agree some of the comments here are worrying.
Worse still, terms like 'snowflake' and 'woke' show a trend towards unsavoury politics.
We are becoming more polarised, sadly.

I don't understand why things like this can't be questioned to be honest. It was in public for those around to see and hear. Why does the players actions and considerations in this circumstance deserve to go unquestioned while the guy that said the remark gets scrutinised and his actions constantly questioned. Is there an immunity going on or something. Everyone is equal surely. Any judgement or considerations must surely include the players actions that caused it too. Surely a person's considerations do not become unquestionable because of being black!
This racism stuff is very confusing sometimes.
No; racism isn't confusing. But I take your point about players' responsibility - and endorse it.

Kinda...
But I agree some of the comments here are worrying.
Worse still, terms like 'snowflake' and 'woke' show a trend towards unsavoury politics.
We are becoming more polarised, sadly.
At least all on here are still united by being SUFC fans regardless of everyone's different views on all subjects

No; racism isn't confusing. But I take your point about players' responsibility - and endorse it.
I've amended my last sentence for you. It was just a sentence to end the paragraph A little light heartedly as it's got a bit heavy on the thread, but as it appears it may have caused you to pick up on it I've changed it.
On rereading it I could have put it better

Part time poster here but can I suggest this thread is closed. There are lots of judgements here from what I will presume are a majority white group of people about whether a comment is racist or not.

If a black player is offended by a comment and considers it to be racist then none of us have the right to question it. The classic white privilege comment that it wasn’t intended as a racist comment simply doesn’t wash anymore.

I’m not sure how not discussing it will help. Surely it is better to discuss it and learn from it? If, as some are saying, this came from a position of ignorance whereby the potential racist connotations were not thought of, closing the thread only perpetuates that ignorance.

Part of my entertainment at RH is listening out for retro insults. Last night someone was calling the ref a (hope its not filtered) pillock
If you are in the East Greens I guess that had to be me? ........ I stopped swearing years ago and now just resort to "shocking" words like pillock, moron and cretin when shouting at the ref. .............It does make you wonder though how its perfectly acceptable to hurl really filthy stuff at players etc, and no one says a word? ..................Any slight reference to the colour of a blokes skin however, and you can be barred for life? World has gone stark raving mad!!

This disagree with white privileged, as this could be applied to any group and if you were to use the equivalent term it would be considered derogatory and discriminatory.

But you point still stands, we all need to be better informed

The terms moron and cretin are insulting to people with learning disabilities.
I feel they can be...But Only if you personally choose to associate them with those people. Surely theyre usually just words indicating someone's been silly.
Like all of this stuff. It seems to me things deliberately get associated and latched on when the words were used harmlessly with no derogatory intentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back