• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me!
But how the hell anyone not within earshot of the comment can have a view on this is impossible.
If you want a poll on whether 'get back in your cage' directed at any black person is racist, that would be illuminating.
How do you know he aimed it at the black player? There are clues. His age in his 70s. In what context it was used in his era. The poster said that the guy said he didn't say it in a racist way. Another poster said the guy was also calling them animals, which clearly indicates with the animals and cage comments, he was having a go about their behaviour and not their colour. rigsby said he was bewildered when they arrested him. I feel really sorry for this old guy. Some have condemned him already. Let's see what the police decide. I trust their judgement in deciding whether he was being racist or not.

How do you know he aimed it at the black player? There are clues. His age in his 70s. In what context it was used in his era. The poster said that the guy said he didn't say it in a racist way. Another poster said the guy was also calling them animals, which clearly indicates with the animals and cage comments, he was having a go about their behaviour and not their colour. rigsby said he was bewildered when they arrested him. I feel really sorry for this old guy. Some have condemned him already. Let's see what the police decide. I trust their judgement in deciding whether he was being racist or not.
Note the words 'any black person' - as in any black person in general.
There is debate over whether such a phrase directed at a black person is racist or not.

Last edited:
The club need to take a look at Liams video on here as well. At least one if not two Woking players tried to get at our fans. Certain the league should take action against them for this. Separate from the alleged racism but certainly a catalyst to what happened after the game
I've had a look.
You can see Woking players shouting at fans in the East.
You can see Mr Follically Challenged charging on to the perimeter presumably as a reaction.
It's unclear whether there's any physical stuff going on between fans and players.

The club need to take a look at Liams video on here as well. At least one if not two Woking players tried to get at our fans. Certain the league should take action against them for this. Separate from the alleged racism but certainly a catalyst to what happened after the game
They will if someone shares it. With the SUFC police and league.

Note the words 'any black person' - as in any black person in general.
Because this is what it's all about. You are heavily suggesting he aimed a racist comment at a black player. Anyway, I'm done now, you've worn me out. I'm one of those old people. Please have the last word. I won't respond tonight. I promise. Tomorrow's a different story. We get a bit feisty now and again after breakfast.

The possible racist comment about animals and cages by an elderly gent to a group of young thug footballers during a game will probably take police priority over aggravated burglary, rape fraud and scamming thousands from older people and who according to one on here probably should've kept up to date with phishing, spoofing, data breach, ransomware, malware etc on their pc's tablets and latest phones inbetween checking updates thesaurus and dictionaries. Maybe they're relaxing and enjoying life after work instead and enjoying a game of footy until goaded too far by the 'woke'ing thugs.

The possible racist comment about animals and cages by an elderly gent to a group of young thug footballers during a game will probably take police priority over aggravated burglary, rape fraud and scamming thousands from older people and who according to one on here probably should've kept up to date with phishing, spoofing, data breach, ransomware, malware etc on their pc's tablets and latest phones inbetween checking updates thesaurus and dictionaries. Maybe they're relaxing and enjoying life after work instead and enjoying a game of footy until goaded too far by the 'woke'ing thugs.
You've got that wrong. Burglary will be priority .... didn't Liz promise police will attend every single burglary for peace of mind. Bearing in mind the police shortages, she must have authorised a hell of a lot of overtime to manage this!! Delusional.......

You've got that wrong. Burglary will be priority .... didn't Liz promise police will attend every single burglary for peace of mind. Bearing in mind the police shortages, she must have authorised a hell of a lot of overtime to manage this!! Delusional.......
They might be investigating this not altogether unrelated matter to the thread topic first

On the narrow subject it used to be all about intent. Now it seems almost fashionable to be offended at the slightest comment.

On the wider subject sorry but I’m just not prepared to spend the rest of my life waking up to check what is acceptable wording that I am allowed to use today. George Orwell got some things wrong but many things right. There’s an entire western world agenda fuelled initially by ambulance chasing Americans that looks for the slightest opportunity to sue for ‘damages’.

Queer was widely used then not the done thing now back in fashion. The N word can be used by certain people and not others.

Personally I couldn’t give a flying **** about the colour of skin or what floats your boat in life. However I refuse to be brow beaten into stereotypical behaviour. This for me defines Woke. Today’s BLM, taking the knee, cisgender, genderqueer, gender neutral or any other label they decide is in are yesterdays goths, punks etc but with a much stronger voice.

I’ll try to learn what’s in and what’s out but that’s my limit. And as for pronouns at work I refuse to tread on eggshells. If you look like a he to me your are a he.

Some of this has veered off topic and sorry for that but I’m reading this thread in full 3 miles into my regular morning walk and I just needed to get a stream of thoughts out of the system. I realise that many won’t agree with my views and that’s perfectly fine by me

If something spoken or written is subject to interpretation then there is danger in condemnation based on a perceived negative intent.
If the words spoken are as reported in this case then the guilt of racism needs to be proved rather than the proof of innocent defended.
We have to be careful that we do not become a society intolerant to genuine errors in political correctness and throw accusations of racism around like confetti, we don't need a witch hunt mentality that will only impede progression.

I didn’t here what was said. But I definitely saw the white player hear the comment turn around and say that’s racist to the fan in the stand. The black player clearly hadn’t heard the comment as he then said to the other player what did he say to me or words to that effect.

As you say it’s important not to speculate but also important to have things in context.
Exactly right. The player making the big fuss of it was the 8 (Daly). Most of the other Woking players had gone down the tunnel. A few of their players were making comments to those in the East Reds as they left the pitch which in turn is always going yo get abuse back.

And if the team has just had 3 cards dished out for a bust up not 10 minutes before your not going to get the usual chant of you dirty northern barstards, mainly as Woking is further South than us.

Personally I think the player may have taken it out of context (forgetting what had happened earlier)

Racism has no place, not only on the terraces, or on the pitch but in society in general.

The comment was not racist in and of itself.

The only person who knows the intent of the comment was the person who made the comment. If he says it was not racial and was not directed specifically at a person of another race then that should be the end of it.

Ah, but I forgot, this is 2022! All that there needs to be is one person who finds a comment "offensive" and that's it, the utterer of said comment is guilty as charged and must be condemned and shamed. Forget intent or even if the comment is reasonably able to be considered offensive.

Add to that the need for many online to call for ever increasingly severe punishments for the utterer of the comment in order seem the most virtuous and we have the current internet in a nutshell.

That this is now being investigated by the police is both sad and hilarious. Considering the police seem completely unwilling or unable to investigate and solve crimes like assaults, burglaries etc. yet have all the time in the world to investigate comments at football games or online because someone, somewhere found it offensive.

Anyway, I hope the man who made the comment is ok and that the police do not proceed with anything against him.

It's okay, she'll grow some pies to pay them with

So I was in the front row where it kicked off and the Woking no 6 clearly directed the word c##ts towards the Southend fans.

As its a sexually expletive word derived to describe a female body part can it not be claimed he was using inappropriate sexist language?? Surely any female in that area who heard that could have been offended .....

That's how far accusations are going now just to screw over your opposite....

Certainly if racism was used and meant, its unacceptable, though I'm not convinced what was said was meant in that way as much as the example I've given. However, what is disappointing is that the thuggish behaviour of the Woking players has been completely overlooked. They started the brawl, had a number of aggressors including the manager, and only got a couple of yellows for it which is a disgrace. No further action taken I doubt by the FA ....

That's important testimony in the context of what kicked off Phil. I would make sure that this information is passed on to the Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back