• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

We’ve found our level, think we’re going to have to get used to this
I could just about take challenging for promotion/playoffs for a few years and failing, it's a tough league to escape.

But anything less than playoff-pushing is just not acceptable for a club our size. And this squad should not be in a relegation scrap.

It's still too early(tm) to start talking about what our fate will be this season - 6 points and we're back on track. But tactics and 1 up top need to change.

Last edited:
We’ve played 9 games this season and the recognised striker on the pitch has scored in one of the games… but it isn’t mahers style of play 😂😂🤦‍♂️

KM: “There are only two recognised fit strikers at the Club, so that tells you where we’re at.”

Yes it does tell you where we are at. The bigger concern is why we’re unable to bring anyone in. You’re telling me there’s not youngster at a league club that needs some game time, or a free agent that has actually played some football recently?

Constantly bemused as to why we’re failing to fill glaringly obvious gaps. I don’t buy the excuse of “there’s nobody out there” or “not the quality we need”… right now we need some bodies who can last an entire game of football. I actually think the recruitment this season has been pathetic, so who does it lie with? John Still? COSU? Maher? Needs sorting out before it’s far too late.

I never really had a strong opinion of him when he came on loan and played I think about 10 games. But this season totally agree, looks a very average non league centre half. He pinged a few straight out of play the other game. Genuinely thought it was deliberate so a teammate could take treatment
I remember Richard Taylor in the left back position look up and pass the ball straight to the opposition centre forward standing on the penalty spot. Taylor was the defensive equivalent of Kargbo.

I remember Richard Taylor in the left back position look up and pass the ball straight to the opposition centre forward standing on the penalty spot. Taylor was the defensive equivalent of Kargbo.
Now playing in the SPL same league as our new apparent signing last played in … 🙄

On the BOT coach home. A very quiet place at the moment. A mix of anger, frustration, confusion and despair. I can take losing but it’s the manner of defeat that hurts. Fylde were nothing special but we made them look a much better team than they are. They had conceded 18’goals before tonight and we hardly laid a punch on them. If I’m right the only shot we had on target was the goal. Otherwise we were toothless. We simply don’t gamble. Fylde did and scored the winner. I left home at 11:30am this morning and will be home around 03:00am tomorrow. We deserve better. Around 200 of us there tonight and we got behind the team and gave them the support. What we got in return was poor. I can take losing but it’s the manner of defeat that hurts.

Defence looked comfortable mostly although we left ourselves open second half especially after Gubbins and Morton went off. Not sure how Morton gets taken off but Bridge stays on. Seemed the wrong sub to me. Midfield works hard but we are lacking that cutting edge. Husin and Moncur in particular play some lovely stuff but when it comes to the final third we seem to lack. One shot tonight on target against a very poor side is simply not good enough. I get that we have players missing but that staring 11 today should be good enough to win that game tonight. Our top scorer thank god is our RWB. That tells you all you need to know. Bonne and Pepple work hard but still don’t look match fit. Kev tonight said that there is no imminent incomings. Need to hope Walker at least comes back soon as feel he he will offer a spark. So I believe there were around 200 of us there tonight and there was a lot of frustration and anger directed towards Kev and the players. Gus clearly took it personally and confronted the fans before being dragged away, he of all the players doesn’t deserve the stick, least it showed he cared. Kev looked very upset and disappointed also and held his hands up and apologised but he will know that that tonight was not good enough. We worked hard to get back in the game and at 1-1 you felt we’d push on but we simply didn’t and in the end it was no surprise that they won and that hurts. After the performance I would have taken a draw as don’t think either team really deserved to win but to lose in injury time is hard to take.

So onto to Solihull and another very tough game. No doubt there will be 400-500 shrimpers there but the pressure is staring to build on Kev and this squad. Whether it should or not is debatable. It’s only 9 games in but it already feels like a season of stability and then have a real go next season. I think this team is good enough to make playoffs with the games left but something needs to change in personnel and also tactics. The handbrake needs to be taken off and allow the players to express themselves more.

Anyway we shall be there Saturday and it will be my 1000th game. I’ve had many of these journeys home during that time and sure there will be many more but I’m certain one day the good times will return

If things continue on this trajectory how long do you give Maher?

I don't see him being here come Christmas if it continues
Sod it I'm in.
There's a fantastic poster @damien who asked a rather deep question comparing the job Maher done under embargoes and points deductions to Churchills leadership during war time where as he was a woeful peacetime leader. Really gets the debate flowing in a direction that encompasses more than football, tactics and Xs and Os if you will. The power of adversity, them against us a siege mentality if you will. This debate is so nuanced.
Also.... pay a decent striker you mugs.

Back