• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 2-1 Southend United

This is what I don't get. Taking Morton off on Saturday and dropping Husin back, left us open then, and Maher does exactly the same tonight - this is unacceptable management as he's clearly not learning!!
Perhaps he was trying to win the game, rather than sit on a 1 - 1. Kevin is often accused of being negative, when he is being positive that is wrong as well. One thing that Kevin can't do anything about is the loss of the team's spine and injuries.

Would say there is absolutely no chance on this planet of this happening. Let’s just go with the reason that it would have already happened by now rather than what the rumours suggest. As it’s been mentioned a lot on here that chapter is closed and Kensdale won’t be playing for us again but he is replaceable and not the main issue in my opinion.
Is he still being paid or have we cancelled his contract?

A few things to consider, I think:

1) We’ve lost the spine of the team and have not replaced them. Cards, Cav and Kensdale are immensely hard to replace.

2) We’ve bought in perceived quality: Moncur, Bonne, and KAF but they need time to get fit and fit in to the plans, yet none really fill those gaps.

4) The siege mentality has gone, Powell and Cards, big characters have gone, and due to Kens as well I’d imagine the team spirit has fallen off a cliff.

I think we had a chance of a promotion push with the feel good factor and the fact this league is not as good as last year, but a lack of pre season, missing targets like Pearce, have left us behind and we’ll struggle to catch up but we will come good. Kev and co have proved we can do that.

We are all frustrated, we all wanted a big push and we’ve been stunted. That is frustrating to anyone, but I bet the players and management hate it even more than we do.

Keep the faith, we have good people at our club.

Why are the so called 3 amigos, keep persisting with a formation when Plan A is not working and they don’t seem to have any other plan!!

Play a 442

Colin

Wind Crowther Taylor Ralph

Moris Morton Moncur Bridge

Bonne. Pepple

Surely it’s this simple!!!
Moncur hasn't got the legs to play CM in a 2. Huge part of the problem IMO as you're always trying to shoehorn the guy in. Neither of the two forwards is match fit. Wind has never played 90 mins at this level.

Not that simple at all.

Why are the so called 3 amigos, keep persisting with a formation when Plan A is not working and they don’t seem to have any other plan!!

Play a 442

Colin

Wind Crowther Taylor Ralph

Moris Morton Moncur Bridge

Bonne. Pepple

Surely it’s this simple!!!

We don’t have a squad that’s geared to play 4-4-2. Firstly, we don’t have any wingers in the squad. Bridge you could argue is but he’s best work over the last few seasons has been as a LWB.. same as Gus, I know everything he touches at the moment turns to goals but he is still by nature a RB/RWB. Plan A as you say isn’t working right now and I myself am frustrated that we keep doing the the same thing hoping it’ll suddenly click but I don’t see Kev suddenly altering how we lineup because we don’t have many other options at the moment to change.

Why do footballers think they have this god given right not to be criticized when 99% of people in private sector jobs would be on the end of it if they were not performing how they should.

I was luckier, in the sense I only had to endure that rubbish from the comfort of my sofa, and didn't trouser £100 odd quid, use day off work and 12 hours on a coach journey on a Tuesday night.

Those fans who travelled have EVERY right to vent their frustrations so Gus and others who were playing part time football before we came along need to wind their necks in a little bit.

That part ****ed me off as much as the performances especially after the usual pre match comments from Bridge and the like saying they need to put it right well put it right boys instead of talking a good game in the local rag.
Yet again bang on the money

For what it's worth I was watching the game on Telly, and in the second half I was screaming at Kev to bring on Pepple to partner Bonne, with Ralph moving to LCB, Bridge out to LWB and Gubbins withdrawn. I must have had some sort of telepathic power because that is exactly what he did. Just goes to show that my tactical genius needs a bit of polishing, sorry Kev, I'll stay quiet for the next game.

Take a breath people.
Mini injury crisis compounded by late start with transfer dealings have glitched things out on the pitch a little.
Seems cruel after waiting so long for a change at the top to give us a level playing field.
A little more patience boys and girls and more importantly we stick with the absolute icons who helped save this club.
Kev and Co
Gus, collin, Taylor, Bridge, Ralph, noor et al could have walked during the bad times and didn't, they have more than earned our backing and then some.
Breathe.

4) The siege mentality has gone, Powell and Cards, big characters have gone, and due to Kens as well I’d imagine the team spirit has fallen off a cliff.
I think this could be a major factor. Having been told the details (and if I, a no-nothing with no contacts, have found out the details then they must be pretty common knowledge by now) I can imagine that team spirit might have taken quite a knock.

Absolute ****e and I've had a sleep on it.

I see safety first tactics. 532 always lends more pressure on a team as there are less outlets forward when attacking - amplified at this level of skill and because there are more defensive players on the pitch naturally.

With the players we have we shouldn't be frightened to play and attack from the off yet the handbrakes are always on until we are chasing a game which then renders us susceptible to counter attack eg last night.

We play round pegs in square holes. Bridge is not a striker nor is he a defender. Gus is a full back (so many comments on here referencing him this way and highlighting his scoring prowess. But is he? Or is he a more robust winger? Can't be everything. 3 central defenders - one traditionally a midfielder and the other 2 look like they've played more in a back 4 based on the balls they go for.

Sorry but this isn't entertainment whatever the excuses - and this is what they are fast becoming ie not reasons.

Actually teams are starting to move back to 442. The majority of teams in the premiership play 442 433 or a 4231 - all are similar based on where a player plays and their responsibility. The latter 2 essentially sacrificing a striker for a more deeper attacking player to control midfield.

And we do have the players for the above formations. Arguably they are better suited. Bridge isn't a lwb and he never has been. We've played a lopsided setup but switching Ralph to lwb means we have 2 full backs as our width.

I didn't go but did watch.

What id like to see is:

Handbrake off from the get go.
Possession football moving the ball quicker forward using width
Press
5 defensive players 5 attacking
4 at the back
Keep 2 Def mids / box to box to track back so the full backs can offer more width.
And attack let them free to play.

This isn't entertainment

I posted a couple of weeks back that the events of that week ( the loss of Cardwell and Kensdale, the injury to Miley) had turned us from an upper mid table side into one that might flirt with relegation. I was told to behave.
We are 17th.
It is said that you should wait for ten games into a season before you get an indication of how you’re doing, and how things are likely to go.
We are 17th, after 9 games.
If we lose on Saturday, we might well be lower.
I think the recruitment this season has been highly questionable. Compare Bonne, for example, with Fylde’s Haughton.
People have been unkind about Fylde, small club, not many supporters, no one’s ever heard of them, shouldn’t be in the same league as us. They played better football than us, were faster, more direct, quicker thinking. So we’re Sutton, for most of the game. Both deserved to win.
Am fed up with hearing: this player’s had no pre-season, that player’s not had many games, needs to get up to speed, needs to get used to how his team mates play, our training pitches have been poor, blah blah. The team in the first half at Fylde looked like they’d never met before,
The players recruited in the last six months are simply not good enough. I do not question Mayer’s tactics, although maybe the criticisms are justifiable sometimes. But I absolutely do question the quality of the players he has brought in.
No doubt I shall be told to behave again.
Exactly

A few things to consider, I think:

1) We’ve lost the spine of the team and have not replaced them. Cards, Cav and Kensdale are immensely hard to replace.

2) We’ve bought in perceived quality: Moncur, Bonne, and KAF but they need time to get fit and fit in to the plans, yet none really fill those gaps.

I think we had a chance of a promotion push with the feel good factor and the fact this league is not as good as last year, but a lack of pre season, missing targets like Pearce, have left us behind and we’ll struggle to catch up but we will come good. Kev and co have proved we can do that.

We are all frustrated, we all wanted a big push and we’ve been stunted. That is frustrating to anyone, but I bet the players and management hate it even more than we do.

Keep the faith, we have good people at our club.
I think you’ve nailed it. We all hoped the momentum from last season would carry onto this season and with the COSU takeover we all were expecting a cloud to be lifted. Losing Cards and Kensdale wasn’t really something we could control and it’s been a bit of a kick in the teeth.

It’s clearly going to take some time so perhaps play off talk should be locked away for now.

Last edited:
Absolute ****e and I've had a sleep on it.

I see safety first tactics. 532 always lends more pressure on a team as there are less outlets forward when attacking - amplified at this level of skill and because there are more defensive players on the pitch naturally.

With the players we have we shouldn't be frightened to play and attack from the off yet the handbrakes are always on until we are chasing a game which then renders us susceptible to counter attack eg last night.

We play round pegs in square holes. Bridge is not a striker nor is he a defender. Gus is a full back (so many comments on here referencing him this way and highlighting his scoring prowess. But is he? Or is he a more robust winger? Can't be everything. 3 central defenders - one traditionally a midfielder and the other 2 look like they've played more in a back 4 based on the balls they go for.

Sorry but this isn't entertainment whatever the excuses - and this is what they are fast becoming ie not reasons.

Actually teams are starting to move back to 442. The majority of teams in the premiership play 442 433 or a 4231 - all are similar based on where a player plays and their responsibility. The latter 2 essentially sacrificing a striker for a more deeper attacking player to control midfield.

And we do have the players for the above formations. Arguably they are better suited. Bridge isn't a lwb and he never has been. We've played a lopsided setup but switching Ralph to lwb means we have 2 full backs as our width.

I didn't go but did watch.

What id like to see is:

Handbrake off from the get go.
Possession football moving the ball quicker forward using width
Press
5 defensive players 5 attacking
4 at the back
Keep 2 Def mids / box to box to track back so the full backs can offer more width.
And attack let them free to play.

This isn't entertainment
We will not be allowed to play with 16 players. The league would not allow it

Disappointing, that. I'm one who criticises Maher for not trying to win games, and thinks Miley is a great player but slows the whole thing down. As I'm driving home last night I'm thinking we wouldn't have lost if we'd shut up shop and Miley had been in the side. Difficult job for Maker to move this side forwards - there were a number of changes last night to his 'original XI' and we didn't look better for it. I wonder at what point he'll try something other than a 3-5-2?

I disagree with those who said there was no effort - I thought they tried. It was tactics for me, and an inability to break down a Fylde side who had set up not to lose, until the last 10.

Collin 6
Taylor 6
Crowther 6
Gubbins 5
GSM 8
Husin 7
Morton 5
Moncur 6
Ralph 6
Bonne 6
Bridge 6

I'm not buying the calls for more/new strikers, to be fair to anyone who's played up top for us this season we simply aren't supplying them - Kane wouldn't get goals in this team at the moment - so im withholding judgement.

Our issue is midfield and the lopsided defence, and for me it's Miley we're missing more than Kensdale - he's critical to this style of play, his press and defensive role allows Moncur and Husin to sit a few yards further forwards and pick up the ball in more space when play breaks down. Without Miley both Moncur and Husin are dropping deeper around Morton, so even if we turn the ball over we have no one in front of the ball in the middle. It also means we arent seeing the Ralph/Moncur and Husin/GSM working together down the wings, if the ball goes wide the player is almost always isolated and having to turn back.

The positive side of me is saying this is down to critical injuries in the team and to give them time to get players back and our fortunes will improve.

The negative side of me is starting to feel we have an unbalanced team lacking in width and pace and until we address this we'll be fodder for teams who are stronger/fitter and win the midfield battle.

It's got me thinking....when was the last time we had an out and out right sided winger who could run and beat defenders...it feels like a position we've never got right but sure someone with a better memory can correct me....JCR is the last name springing to mind?

I'm not buying the calls for more/new strikers, to be fair to anyone who's played up top for us this season we simply aren't supplying them - Kane wouldn't get goals in this team at the moment - so im withholding judgement.

Our issue is midfield and the lopsided defence, and for me it's Miley we're missing more than Kensdale - he's critical to this style of play, his press and defensive role allows Moncur and Husin to sit a few yards further forwards and pick up the ball in more space when play breaks down. Without Miley both Moncur and Husin are dropping deeper around Morton, so even if we turn the ball over we have no one in front of the ball in the middle. It also means we arent seeing the Ralph/Moncur and Husin/GSM working together down the wings, if the ball goes wide the player is almost always isolated and having to turn back.

The positive side of me is saying this is down to critical injuries in the team and to give them time to get players back and our fortunes will improve.

The negative side of me is starting to feel we have an unbalanced team lacking in width and pace and until we address this we'll be fodder for teams who are stronger/fitter and win the midfield battle.

It's got me thinking....when was the last time we had an out and out right sided winger who could run and beat defenders...it feels like a position we've never got right but sure someone with a better memory can correct me....JCR is the last name springing to mind?
Could Wood not play right wing? He’s always looked at his best when stuck out there. I know he’s largely been disappointing but at least he tries to drive forward. We’ve not really persisted with playing him there.

Back