• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would love to see us get someone like Tom Eaves. Looked dangerous when he played us and I fancy Cox would do well playing off someone like that. Despite only having a year left on his deal though, I imagine Gillingham would want a fee far bigger than we could afford.
See I thought he was pony in the home game...

Eaves ? Occasional Pony, Donkey? and thoroughbred , 5th highest scorer in our league with 17 goals, But apparently club policy is not to buy from lower leagues where half the top goal scorers regularly come from

I think Aneke would be a quality signing and someone I would very much hope is on our radar. It's clear we need someone of that type of centre forward who is better than Ladapo. We need someone to be a real presence and someone we can play off. If we're going to play 4-4-2 next year with two genuine wingers which seems to be the way Powell wants to play, we need someone like that in our squad. It's clear Ladapo was signed with that in mind but it's a gamble that hasn't paid off.

That's the down side to Cox. He is not the right man to partner a big number 9.
That's interesting - I thought that is exactly what Cox needs to get the best return from him, why do you think not?

That's interesting - I thought that is exactly what Cox needs to get the best return from him, why do you think not?

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of things Cox does and he has been well worth the money. He does play his best when dropping into the number 10 hole. If you are going to work off a big forward then you need a bit of pace and someone who can play against off-side. Theo would fit that bill.

CP has certainly tried to get the ball forward early so maybe that's the combination he will be looking for. In a perfect world Cox would be 3rd choice as he can do both jobs but as Saturdays endless crosses into the box where nothing happened proved, we need someone strong in the air.

Don't get me wrong I like a lot of things Cox does and he has been well worth the money. He does play his best when dropping into the number 10 hole. If you are going to work off a big forward then you need a bit of pace and someone who can play against off-side. Theo would fit that bill.

CP has certainly tried to get the ball forward early so maybe that's the combination he will be looking for. In a perfect world Cox would be 3rd choice as he can do both jobs but as Saturdays endless crosses into the box where nothing happened proved, we need someone strong in the air.
I agree we need to sign someone who's strong in the air - think cox would be a better partner than Theo, but get your thinking...I guess Cox/Theo may alternate depending on who we play. The key here is to get a good number 9 - it probably our most important position to get right next season.

Zak Ansah just finished the season scoring 20 goals in 19 appearances for Hythe Town. Would be a cheap roll of the dice as a young backup striker with plenty of room for improvement in the years to come?

you still think Theo has got pace? I don’t see it, knee op and 10 year ago.

you still think Theo has got pace? I don’t see it, knee op and 10 year ago.

More than others we have had. There may well be other options out there this summer but I would like to see Theo as part of the squad.

He actually spins of the defenders shoulder with very good timing which is a worth a few yards. Mooney was always off-side a McGlashan was the opposite and used to give himself to much to do. I always thought if he just sprinted out side the full back and we passed it inside he would be a real handful.

Zak Ansah just finished the season scoring 20 goals in 19 appearances for Hythe Town. Would be a cheap roll of the dice as a young backup striker with plenty of room for improvement in the years to come?
I dare say Chris knows all about Zak .:winking:

Some really good Chelsea youngsters out there available for loan, fed up with the standard of the young loanees we've been getting in the main. Would like us to have some other clubs use us as "development".

If Conor Clifford is indicative of the standard of Chelsea youngsters then no thanks.

If Conor Clifford is indicative of the standard of Chelsea youngsters then no thanks.

We also got Grant and Sawyer from Chelsea. Sawyer was decent on his first stint and Grant was a hell of a servant to the club. They seem to have a good amount of talent in their youth set up. But unfortauntely trying to find a gem is hard and we’ve had our fair share of **** from prem clubs on loan.

We also got Grant and Sawyer from Chelsea. Sawyer was decent on his first stint and Grant was a hell of a servant to the club. They seem to have a good amount of talent in their youth set up. But unfortauntely trying to find a gem is hard and we’ve had our fair share of **** from prem clubs on loan.

I thought I was stretching it with Conor Clifford; Anthony Grant was a decade ago!

Lots of these young lads show promise in youth/under 23 set ups but when they play real mens football it comes as a major shock to many of them!

Totally and we’ve seen that with Amos and Harrison recently.

The trouble is most of them have a very cosseted life and are paid great money, all of a sudden they are having to train harder than they have done in their entire career often in training grounds far inferior to what they are used to. Then they come out to play against tough league one or two defenders who scare the ***** out of them, to say nothing of the hostile crowds they are not used to playing in front of. Welcome to the real world young man!

The trouble is most of them have a very cosseted life and are paid great money, all of a sudden they are having to train harder than they have done in their entire career often in training grounds far inferior to what they are used to. Then they come out to play against tough league one or two defenders who scare the ***** out of them, to say nothing of the hostile crowds they are not used to playing in front of. Welcome to the real world young man!

That’s why they’ve introduced that stupid format for the Pointless LDV Checka Paint Johns Trophy. Give them more of an insight into what real men’s football can be like so it’s less of a shock when they do go out on loan.

Totally and we’ve seen that with Amos and Harrison recently.

I was sat with Luke Amos at the sponsors dinner last year and he was a great lad, as such I've followed him since. At the time he said that spurs had prepared him well for his 1st loan and was told not to be disappointed that he may not get much game time and to learn from being in and around 1st team football and that the second loan he should get more football. At the time he commented that he'd love to come back but it ended up that he went out to Stevenage instead. I'm guessing a division lower meant his chances of playing were higher, and he has played and he has impressed. Interesting that before his loan Pochettino gave him another years contract, they must think there is still potential there.

This article is quite good if anybody is interested: http://www.thecomet.net/sport/footb...amos-looks-set-for-promising-future-1-5505230

Back