• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Disagree.

cringe-hague_2661220k.jpg
good point well made, I now have William Hague banging around in my head to the tune of '7 Nation Army'

I would agree that Labour ran a far better campaign than the Tories, and that the result was a disaster for May. I dislike her as a leader and I am appalled by her proposals to use Islamist terror as an excuse to censor the internet.

However, reading the comments of the leftist bots on this site and many others, I find myself strangely delighted that May did win. Corbyn's 'achievement' was to get a little closer to the Tories, and to win the votes of immigrants, students and morons. He's a million miles away from power, and still doesn't have the support of the PLP. If May gets some sensible advice, steers away from censorship and towards hard Brexit and getting tough on terrorism and immigration then she might just survive. As in the US, the left has lost and can't accept it.

I would agree that Labour ran a far better campaign than the Tories, and that the result was a disaster for May. I dislike her as a leader and I am appalled by her proposals to use Islamist terror as an excuse to censor the internet.

However, reading the comments of the leftist bots on this site and many others, I find myself strangely delighted that May did win. Corbyn's 'achievement' was to get a little closer to the Tories, and to win the votes of immigrants, students and morons. He's a million miles away from power, and still doesn't have the support of the PLP. If May gets some sensible advice, steers away from censorship and towards hard Brexit and getting tough on terrorism and immigration then she might just survive. As in the US, the left has lost and can't accept it.
I think you are tragically missing all of the points that 'immigrants, students and morons' didn't miss, but when this temporary Conservative/DUP government implodes you will have another opportunity to see what the 'immigrants, students and morons' have seen, so there is still hope that we will all attain an understanding.

Tories in bed with the DUP could scupper the power sharing talks going on in Northern Ireland. This means the deadline could be missed and they would be ruled by Westminster. It's hard for the opponents of the DUP to do a deal whilst the DUP are hand in hand with the Tories. The Tories are meant to be unbiased in all of this.
This could lead us back to the bad old days of sectarianism and trouble.

I think you are tragically missing all of the points that 'immigrants, students and morons' didn't miss, but when this temporary Conservative/DUP government implodes you will have another opportunity to see what the 'immigrants, students and morons' have seen, so there is still hope that we will all attain an understanding.

What are the points that I'm 'tragically missing'. Genuinely interested.

However, reading the comments of the leftist bots on this site and many others, I find myself strangely delighted that May did win. Corbyn's 'achievement' was to get a little closer to the Tories, and to win the votes of immigrants, students and morons. As in the US, the left has lost and can't accept it.

Ouch. I was born in England, I'm now retired, and I hope I'm not a moron, but you can never be sure. I have left leanings but always accept democratic outcomes, and I voted Labour. Maybe your statement was a bit sweeping?

Ouch. I was born in England, I'm now retired, and I hope I'm not a moron, but you can never be sure. I have left leanings but always accept democratic outcomes, and I voted Labour. Maybe your statement was a bit sweeping?

Maybe so. As with the Democrat party in the US, I think there are many Labour voters who genuinely think they are doing what's right for the country, and that the left has the workers' best interests at heart. I hail from working class stock and I work a blue collar job, but I don't feel represented by the modern Labour or Democrat party - I get the impression that they want to eliminate the white working class entirely.

And CS, I'm only an "angry little man" when someone who's an immigrant themselves and probably voted for Trump, calls me a moron. :finger:

What are the points that I'm 'tragically missing'. Genuinely interested.
To be honest the reasons to vote Labour are all in this thread. I've spent all waking hours discussing politics in various formats for 6 weeks and if at this point someone thinks Labour voters are 'Immigrants, students and morons' then I'd just scroll back through this thread to get up to date. I don't feel inclined to offer any more than that.

In other news - George Osborne thinks that divisions on Europe are tearing the Conservative Party apart again - that was the reason we had a referendum in the first place, and if he is to be believed May's election has opened up all those recently stitched wounds.

Maybe so. As with the Democrat party in the US, I think there are many Labour voters who genuinely think they are doing what's right for the country, and that the left has the workers' best interests at heart. I hail from working class stock and I work a blue collar job, but I don't feel represented by the modern Labour or Democrat party - I get the impression that they want to eliminate the white working class entirely.
woah, we haven't had this level of paranoia round here for a while.

To be honest the reasons to vote Labour are all in this thread. I've spent all waking hours discussing politics in various formats for 6 weeks and if at this point someone thinks Labour voters are 'Immigrants, students and morons' then I'd just scroll back through this thread to get up to date. I don't feel inclined to offer any more than that.

In other news - George Osborne thinks that divisions on Europe are tearing the Conservative Party apart again - that was the reason we had a referendum in the first place, and if he is to be believed May's election has opened up all those recently stitched wounds.

Fair enough. I've been following this thread from the beginning and I guess nothing jumped out for me from the left other than Corbyn being more authentic than May, and that the Labour manifesto made some nice promises. On a personal level, I find Corbyn more appealing than May, but I could just as easily say that I find Orient more appealing than Col Ewe. I like that he is anti-Israel, anti-Globalist and that he didn't actively campaign for Remain, and as I said before, I would have voted for him over May if I still had my vote. My main issue with him is his party and its coalition of SJWs, corrupt Trade Unionists, aggrieved ethnic minorities and their crowing about losing by a bit less than they lost by the last time.

Fair enough. I've been following this thread from the beginning and I guess nothing jumped out for me from the left other than Corbyn being more authentic than May, and that the Labour manifesto made some nice promises. On a personal level, I find Corbyn more appealing than May, but I could just as easily say that I find Orient more appealing than Col Ewe. I like that he is anti-Israel, anti-Globalist and that he didn't actively campaign for Remain, and as I said before, I would have voted for him over May if I still had my vote. My main issue with him is his party and its coalition of SJWs, corrupt Trade Unionists, aggrieved ethnic minorities and their crowing about losing by a bit less than they lost by the last time.

FYI.Cameron's overall majority of 15 back in 2015 was the first parliamentary majority won by a Conservative leader for 23 years.

Back