• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Part of our recruitment debate is about whether Ted Smith might make it straight away next season or we need to recruit a number 1, experienced keeper. I suppose our more experienced Mr Smith . still registered, is well placed and would be a good judge in assessing this.
If you were a scout or recruiter assessing I assume you would look at the candidates Positioning,, Size, stature, ability, kicking with either foot, Preparation, handling, temperament, soft hands,, getting body behind everything, moving feet quickly, Communication and mastery of the your area/box, ability to dominate, not get bullied on crosses or free kicks, able to tidy up behind defenders, awareness, and reflexes. team member type
Easy peezy, its all probably on a spread sheet somewhere? No doubt Dan, England and Paul Smith have been helping Ted in these areas, I think he will develop a treat

I think Ted will undoubtedly be our number 1 in the near future, but don't think he's ready for League 1 football yet. That's by no means a criticism of him, we've seen how even Dan has made a couple of errors this season and he is as good as you'll get at this level. I'd be looking for an experienced keeper, perhaps nearing retirement and with one eye on coaching, who can help to bring him on and can accept that he may not get more than one year as number 1 and will have some stiff competition. That said, having had a quick look at the out of contract players in the Championship and League 1, there's not an awful lot of options of that mould out there. Stephen Bywater has been released without playing for Burton, Dean Gerken would have been perfect if a bit expensive and ex-Col Ewe, but he's got a year left on his Ipswich deal.

I think Ted will undoubtedly be our number 1 in the near future, but don't think he's ready for League 1 football yet. That's by no means a criticism of him, we've seen how even Dan has made a couple of errors this season and he is as good as you'll get at this level. I'd be looking for an experienced keeper, perhaps nearing retirement and with one eye on coaching, who can help to bring him on and can accept that he may not get more than one year as number 1 and will have some stiff competition. That said, having had a quick look at the out of contract players in the Championship and League 1, there's not an awful lot of options of that mould out there. Stephen Bywater has been released without playing for Burton, Dean Gerken would have been perfect if a bit expensive and ex-Col Ewe, but he's got a year left on his Ipswich deal.

I think a lot will depend on how well Ted does in pre-season. We'll have some decent fixtures (Chris Phillips said almost certainly West Ham) and if he gives a good account of himself in those games, he may just get the nod. Personally I'd be happy to see us take a chance on Ted as number 1 next season. Not sure I would fancy Paul Smith as second in line though.

I think a lot will depend on how well Ted does in pre-season. We'll have some decent fixtures (Chris Phillips said almost certainly West Ham) and if he gives a good account of himself in those games, he may just get the nod. Personally I'd be happy to see us take a chance on Ted as number 1 next season. Not sure I would fancy Paul Smith as second in line though.
Don't disagree, but exactly that, we need to sign a keeper, preferably one who will accept that he may end up sitting on the bench while a kid is playing without throwing his toys out the pram.

Thorsten Stuckmann has just been transfer listed and would tick most of the boxes required.

Last edited:
Teams in the race for Bentley are Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford and Glasgow Rangers. The Echo believes the last two clubs are his best bet of regular 1st team football. If he stays with us he is definitely guaranteed 1st team football, shame we aren't in the Championship!

If Bentley goes to Glasgow Rangers we won't get a fee will we? Aren't Accrington going to lose josh windlass to them for nothing in the same way?
Personally I think he will end up at Bournemouth

I reckon Bentley will want to go to Brentford. Decent Championship club with big ambitions, good chance of first team football and it will allow him to stay living where he is now, close to his family and girlfriend. Good luck to him - just hope we don't get shafted by the tribunal!

Teams in the race for Bentley are Burnley, Bournemouth, Brentford and Glasgow Rangers. The Echo believes the last two clubs are his best bet of regular 1st team football. If he stays with us he is definitely guaranteed 1st team football, shame we aren't in the Championship!

May be true regarding play time but don't believe that means they are the two most likely destinations.
IMO
- wages, as the first two are in the Prem they are likely top offer the best deal
- being in the Prem is a big draw and providing he thinks he will be no. 2 then he is a loss of form or injury away from being a PL goalkeeper. Once you perform on that stage you in the big time club.

I struggle to believe he will turn down a Prem league club for an average championship side or Scotland.

But who knows. The agent will probably advise 'play at the highest level you can'.

Neil Alexander, 38, ex-Ipswich and Palace, released by Hearts, could be an option...

That's my problem. I always find things to worry about, things that are so silly, things I can't do anything about. Not so long ago I used to worry that my team hadn't signed enough quality players for next season 9 days after the final game of the previous season.

is that all it's been - it's gonna be a long Summer:smile:

You are presuming that PB has targeted players at this stage

Which of course he has. The player he interviewed on Monday was the 15th so far. He did more than just his commentating on Hull whilst he was up north.

Phil Brown will be on a beach somewhere getting some down time as he should be, the entire football world is doing the same. I am sure his mobile phone is on though.

Back