• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would take Rea as a centre half not as a midfielder. Would have Weir here all day but he will not be short of offers.

Weir and Cansdell-Sheriff would be a great double scoop, from what I saw this season.

Rea as CB I would be happy with- I think he can be a really good defender but importantly is good with the ball at his feet and can play from the back. Rea plus an experienced solid additional CB sounds good.

Weir is a really solid defensive midfielder at L1 level and having lost Deegan I can see why this would be attractive. I think Hasselbaink covered him successfully to the defensive role having been more of a 'box to box' type.

Neither of these really 'excite' but you can see how they could be an upgrade on some of those we are letting go- I think its a question of patience as we will only know how good a summer we have had when we have completed all the signings and can compare the complete list of outs to the complete list of ins- although we will try and do so sooner. The better targets might be those that come later as they will expect more offers..

Would be happy with both those signings. We have mainly slow players who can play CB so Rea would offer something different, and much as I like Deegs, Weir would be an upgrade.

Rea to hold talks about Roots Hall return

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown is interested in bringing Glen Rea back to Roots Hall.

More...

We never really got to see Rea as a CB but I can't say the prospect of him returning excites me!

We don't need anymore midfielders, especially centre mids. A big problem we had last season was not getting a settled side because we had too many players who all played the same position. CM is the last thing we need at the moment.

Only game I can really remember Rae as a CB was away at cov, he looked good and solid enough in that one. I'd be happy to have him back, good in the ball, versatile and even though his young he could probably Come straight in at this level.

Why does he keep returning to past loanees who never set the world alight? Is it laziness? Bad scouting not coming up with anyone else/better? Lack of knowledge of players at this level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does he keep returning to past loanees who never set the world alight? Is it laziness? Bad scouting not coming up with anyone else/better? Lack of knowledge of players at this level?

What about all of the above?

Or maybe it's actually the answer PB gave: that he really rates him, but accepts he was unlucky with injuries and international call ups, and didn't get a good run in the side.

But he's said that about other loanees that he's gone back in for and it's hardly ever rung true.

I thought Rea actually had something about him, especially at centre-half. I couldn't work out why he kept trying to shoe-horn him into a defensive midfield role. Would imagine he wouldn't break the bank and he's a young player with potential, decent signing if this one happened I would say.

Saw a few Brighton comments earlier and they seem to really rate him! They were commenting on why they would let him leave with Goldson possibly moving on. He can't be too far down the pecking order and I think he'd be a good addition to the squad.

don't see him as any better than tommo tbh ... we need height at the back now after losing prosser and bolger ... rea doesn't bring that and don't remember him being particularly good in the air ... think the interest in him is due to being a free agent as much as anything and because he is young will be quite cheap on wages ... if he rated so highly why was he sent to luton in l2 on loan

don't see him as any better than tommo tbh ... we need height at the back now after losing prosser and bolger ... rea doesn't bring that and don't remember him being particularly good in the air ... think the interest in him is due to being a free agent as much as anything and because he is young will be quite cheap on wages ... if he rated so highly why was he sent to luton in l2 on loan

Regular game time & Brighton's first team coach ended up taking the managerial post at Luton during the last season.

Back