• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That amount alone would pay our wage bill for three and a half seasons.

The one we need to keep an eye on is Wolves' Dominic Iorfa, could net us a tidy sum if he moves as we have a sell-on clause.

Read today a few clubs are interested in him and he favours a move to West Ham.

That amount alone would pay our wage bill for three and a half seasons.

The one we need to keep an eye on is Wolves' Dominic Iorfa, could net us a tidy sum if he moves as we have a sell-on clause.

Absolutely! Just shows how vital it is for lower league clubs to negotiate good sell on clauses into the transfers of their best players.

Iorfa could be great business for us. I would hope we have no less than about 20% and he apparently has a £15m release clause in his contract if you believe everything you read on t'internet.

Just a reminder there is no evidence whatsoever that taking your time in the transfer market is good, what small scale research evidence there is points to the opposite conclusion. Brown himself knows this and this is why he has stated his determination publicly to make early signings and that he has been hampered in the past by not doing so. The reasons for doing so could fill a book .i have highlighted many of them. You can fantasise if you wish that waiting late is a wise move!

Just a reminder there is no evidence whatsoever that taking your time in the transfer market is good, what small scale research evidence there is points to the opposite conclusion. Brown himself knows this and this is why he has stated his determination publicly to make early signings and that he has been hampered in the past by not doing so. The reasons for doing so could fill a book .i have highlighted many of them. You can fantasise if you wish that waiting late is a wise move!

There is no evidence that getting your signings in early equals success.

You said this last summer, and when questioned, you couldn't back up your "evidence".

Bury did their summer business early last year, and only finished above is due to a last minute penalty against us.

I doubt we are purposely taking our time. It's more to do with the better players hold out, and people on holiday. PB has been on holiday, and look at Payne & Bentley, neither of them have moved yet. They are both on holiday too at present.

Bazza change the record mate. Your research is in the PL, where surprise, surprise the clubs with more money can buy who they want and nice and early. Guess what... they tend to be the clubs who do better in the PL.

For your research to have any relevance we would have to look at several seasons of the 12 teams with the lowest budgets in L1.

This time last year we had not approached hardly anyone, partly due to having to work out our new finances after a late promotion. This year we have contacted and interviewed up to 30 targets. Yes none of them have signed so far but they know we mean business, which is far better than a late desperate attempt after they and their families have already got their feet half way through the door of another club. If you remember even Noel Hunt was talked out of going to the USA.

The bottom line is a, is a good signing is a good signing. Whether they come in May or July.

Bazza change the record mate. Your research is in the PL, where surprise, surprise the clubs with more money can buy who they want and nice and early. Guess what... they tend to be the clubs who do better in the PL.

For your research to have any relevance we would have to look at several seasons of the 12 teams with the lowest budgets in L1.

This time last year we had not approached hardly anyone, partly due to having to work out our new finances after a late promotion. This year we have contacted and interviewed up to 30 targets. Yes none of them have signed so far but they know we mean business, which is far better than a late desperate attempt after they and their families have already got their feet half way through the door of another club. If you remember even Noel Hunt was talked out of going to the USA.

The bottom line is a, is a good signing is a good signing. Whether they come in May or July.

if we have interviewed these 30 targets and I seem to remember an article about 6 weeks ago that PB had started to to talk to a couple of players then don't you think that it is worrying that none have signed?

I appreciate ate no club unless very rich are going to get to get all there first targets but it appears that we may have to settle for much much lower than this.

if we have interviewed these 30 targets and I seem to remember an article about 6 weeks ago that PB had started to to talk to a couple of players then don't you think that it is worrying that none have signed?

I appreciate ate no club unless very rich are going to get to get all there first targets but it appears that we may have to settle for much much lower than this.

No, because like I have said we need to know what money we have from Bentley and Payne before we can sign our first choices. Even clubs like Man U, if they need 5 players, will have a list of 5 primary targets for each position and a list of 5 secondary targets.

Where PB's skills, based on nearly 40 years in the pro game will come into effect. Will be, how does he get player A, when he looks like he will go to a bigger club. If we chase player A, then how long do we wait/stall player B before they sign for someone else and we end up with player C. All to be done on a smaller budget than about 15 other clubs in our Division.

No, because like I have said we need to know what money we have from Bentley and Payne before we can sign our first choices. Even clubs like Man U, if they need 5 players, will have a list of 5 primary targets for each position and a list of 5 secondary targets.

Where PB's skills, based on nearly 40 years in the pro game will come into effect. Will be, how does he get player A, when he looks like he will go to a bigger club. If we chase player A, then how long do we wait/stall player B before they sign for someone else and we end up with player C. All to be done on a smaller budget than about 15 other clubs in our Division.

But we are not going to have access to that money as the way we get the most money will be going to tribunal. Which takes a good while, look how long it took Danny Ings fee to be sorted. I also think it took a fair while for them to sort out Anthony Straker's fee out.

But we are not going to have access to that money as the way we get the most money will be going to tribunal. Which takes a good while, look how long it took Danny Ings fee to be sorted. I also think it took a fair while for them to sort out Anthony Straker's fee out.

True but at the very least we need to know we will be getting money eventually. We can't pay a transfer fee for a couple of players in June and then load up our wage bill throughout July, only to find Bentley has gone to Rangers and Payne to Rotterdam.

At least if we have £1m coming our way over the next year and then add-ons beyond that. We can plan and budget accordingly.

I totally agree. The tribunal will take ages and also the money is likely to be staggered over a period of time and also the majority will be used to service the debt and not used as part of the playing budget let's be honest.

There is no reason not to sign players prior to Bentley and Payne leaving. Last seasons budget has been slashed with all the number of players released and it is worrying that no one has signed of the reported 30 players PB has spoken to.

It is a dangerous game leaving your signings late as undoubtedly you miss out on your prime targets and have to settle for players lower down your list. We have without doubt already missed out on some of them, whether it's because of financial terms offered or other reasons.

I appreciate that there are still numerous good players yet to sign for clubs but the statement we seem to be very slow and have always been so in signing players for the new season.

Mark Duffy? Winger who has been released by Birmingham and was on loan at Burton last season.

++++EDIT++++++

Just found out he has signed for Sheffield United. NEXT!

I totally agree. The tribunal will take ages and also the money is likely to be staggered over a period of time and also the majority will be used to service the debt and not used as part of the playing budget let's be honest.

There is no reason not to sign players prior to Bentley and Payne leaving. Last seasons budget has been slashed with all the number of players released and it is worrying that no one has signed of the reported 30 players PB has spoken to.

It is a dangerous game leaving your signings late as undoubtedly you miss out on your prime targets and have to settle for players lower down your list. We have without doubt already missed out on some of them, whether it's because of financial terms offered or other reasons.

I appreciate that there are still numerous good players yet to sign for clubs but the statement we seem to be very slow and have always been so in signing players for the new season.

We need to know that we will get compensation for Bentley and Payne- once we know they are not going outside England we can be pretty sure of the minimum we would get at tribunal. We don't need the money now but need to know it is coming. We are more likely to spend the money on wages than transfer fees so we will also be paying out over time.

Rumours are that Jack has now signed with Huddersfield. Hopefully Bentley's dad will pull his finger out soon and as a nice big bonus Spammers will sign Iorfa.

We are talking meaningful sums for these three events happening.

thank you:blush:

It is made all the more difficult when the top names at your club want to move on. Selling the clubs dreams and aspirations to new players looks dodgy when a number of the present crop do not buy into it. It's always easier to tempt players when you have a strong nucleus of a side that looks as though it just needs a few new faces to progress further. Do we have that? Once DB, JP, DB, LP and DW join KH and others elsewhere, then are we building on or rebuilding. A rebuild has more uncertainty and can be less appealing.

That's assuming that Bentley and Payne's deal goes to tribunal. It isn't really in either clubs' interest that it does and I'm sure we'll try to negotiate with whoever they sign for.

Gavin Massey has signed for Orient. Transfer fee paid as well. Would of been a good signing for us!

That's assuming that Bentley and Payne's deal goes to tribunal. It isn't really in either clubs' interest that it does and I'm sure we'll try to negotiate with whoever they sign for.

We don't need the money up front just know at least a certain amount is coming- its wages over the next couple of years we need to fund not transfer fees.

Back