• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

so Phil Brown has done well then?

I too would like us to adopt Peterborough's transfer strategy but 1) if it was so good and easy why isn't everyone doing it?
2) if it's so good why did they only finish 4 points ahead of us (i know you've addressed that)
but
they've been in the Championship recently, we haven't.

I think he has done well. Despite being tipped for relegation, we were strong playoff contenders for the best part of the season. Had you put Phil in charge of Peterborough, they would have fared far better in my opinion. They sacked two managers last season, so the management clearly wasn't right.

Never said it was easy. It involves a lot of scouting and financial risks. You're not putting your money into a Wordsworth, Mooney or Atkinson - someone proven at this level who you'll get some performance out of. You're putting your money into a lad who may not cut it, but that's where the extensive scouting comes into play. They still get it wrong from time to time though, as for every Marcus Maddison and Lee Angol, there's a Kyle Vassell.

It all comes down to our appetite to risk. On one hand I would say we aren't in the financial position to take those risks, but on the other hand, Brown's recruitment has always been the weakest aspect of his management, so why not try something different?

Heard Phil on talk sport just now co-hosting the breakfast show. Making s toungue in cheek comment about signing Eider Gudjohnson is he isn't offered a deal at Bolton.

Also so was asked about Bolton job, responded with "I have a job to do at Southend Alan... You know that"

He also said that Bentley's 'possibly' going to Brentford and Payne's 'possibly' going to Huddersfield.....

I hear we will have news in about a week. Looks like we have a wide man and a striker close to signing. Don't bother asking my source. You may have seen them play last season :winking:

I hear we will have news in about a week. Looks like we have a wide man and a striker close to signing. Don't bother asking my source. You may have seen them play last season :winking:
McQueen, Loza, Barnett? Worrall? Any others potentially?

Would Moussa count as the creative midfielder? If so then a move for Knott seems unlikely which is a shame.

I would rathe PB took his time and got the right signings instead of some of the dross rhat has been signed the last couple of seasons. Im sure he has identified what positions need filling and what players he would like to bring in.Im also pretty sure he has spoken to the players and their managers ,now its a waiting game as im sure also those players and thier managers are hoping on a better deal from other clubs .After all we are Southend not ManU or Chelsae etc with a big fat cheque book.

Indeed. It's better if you take your time.

That's why the best managers will have signed up/extended their key players for the next season in January.

They also have the wonderful Barry Fry, whom I believe, took us to our highest ever position in league football. Legend:smile:

No he didn't.

Our best finish was under Webby (12th) who also was the only one to have us top of the second tier.

Judas never hung around long enough to complete a full season. We finished 18th and 15th the two seasons he managed us for part of.

The lowest two finishes we've ever had in that division without being relegated.

I think he has done well. Despite being tipped for relegation, we were strong playoff contenders for the best part of the season. Had you put Phil in charge of Peterborough, they would have fared far better in my opinion. They sacked two managers last season, so the management clearly wasn't right.

Never said it was easy. It involves a lot of scouting and financial risks. You're not putting your money into a Wordsworth, Mooney or Atkinson - someone proven at this level who you'll get some performance out of. You're putting your money into a lad who may not cut it, but that's where the extensive scouting comes into play. They still get it wrong from time to time though, as for every Marcus Maddison and Lee Angol, there's a Kyle Vassell.

It all comes down to our appetite to risk. On one hand I would say we aren't in the financial position to take those risks, but on the other hand, Brown's recruitment has always been the weakest aspect of his management, so why not try something different?

By three people out of 98

That's eight new players, wow!

And more defenders than attackers.

Last time I looked a team has more defenders than attackers. Especially as we are including the obvious need for a keeper in those 8 players.

Fleetwood are going to splash the cash I reckon. Getting potentially £6.8m from the Vardy transfer to Arsenal if it happens.

Fleetwood are swimming in dosh already thanks to their chairman's megarich company sponsoring them huge wodges of cash every year.

****ing hell!

That amount alone would pay our wage bill for three and a half seasons.

The one we need to keep an eye on is Wolves' Dominic Iorfa, could net us a tidy sum if he moves as we have a sell-on clause.

Back