• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I see Peterborough have continued their policy in signing the best players in league two by signing Newport’s Andrew Hughes and Mansfield’s Ryan Tafazolli. Two of the best players in their positions from that league....and both on free transfers. The defender (Taffazoli) is a giant at 6ft 5 and is a great age at 24.
They've done their homework with those two.....I just hope we've done ours too.

Peterborough must have the best transfer policy in the bottom two leagues. Extensive scouting and confidence in non-league players, decent free transfers and looking after their own interests, i.e. transfer listing any player in the last year of their contract until a new one is agreed.

Peterborough must have the best transfer policy in the bottom two leagues. Extensive scouting and confidence in non-league players, decent free transfers and looking after their own interests, i.e. transfer listing any player in the last year of their contract until a new one is agreed.

And the results are fabulous - the club is surging up the leagues .... oh, hang on a minute - they finished in the bottom half of Division 3 - and we took 4 points from them last season.

That sounds a little harsh but you get the point - there is more to a successful club than just one feature/element. I notice no-one is crowing about Crewe and their marvellous system at the moment .........

Hash tag: Justbalancingupthediscussion

And the results are fabulous - the club is surging up the leagues .... oh, hang on a minute - they finished in the bottom half of Division 3 - and we took 4 points from them last season.

That sounds a little harsh but you get the point - there is more to a successful club than just one feature/element. I notice no-one is crowing about Crewe and their marvellous system at the moment .........

Hash tag: Justbalancingupthediscussion

I take your point, but I would put that more down to poor management. If you compare their squad with ours, I would take theirs all day long. So for me, their recruitment policy is still a very good one.

Regardless of Crewe's poor results in the last couple of seasons, their system is still a class above the rest. They're always going to have peaks and troughs as it depends on the talent coming through. If two or three brilliant academy lads break into their first team next season, they could well be straight back up.

From the squad that had us well beaten in the JPT final, ex-academy lads Tootle, Moore, Murphy, Clayton, Colclough and Leitch-Smith have all departed for bigger things. Any squad would struggle to lose that talent. History suggests that they'll continue to bring lads through of that quality in the future and that could easily see them back into the Championship, where we'll all be crowing over their marvellous system again.

In the last 10 years, we've only made 2 signings by 6th June (Steve Collis signed 6th June 2006 and Charlie MacDonald signed on 6th June 2007).

Other than that, Simon Francis (14th June 2006), Steve Mildenhall (9th June 2008) and Neil Harris (9th June 2011) are the only other signings we've made in the last decade in the first half of June.

Of Brown's signings, only 3 have come in June - White, Weston and Barnard.

Let's be patient. This time last year there was panic as Shrewsbury had gone up and almost had a whole new squad by mid-June, yet they only just avoided relegation.

In the last 10 years, we've only made 2 signings by 6th June (Steve Collis signed 6th June 2006 and Charlie MacDonald signed on 6th June 2007).

Other than that, Simon Francis (14th June 2006), Steve Mildenhall (9th June 2008) and Neil Harris (9th June 2011) are the only other signings we've made in the last decade in the first half of June.

Of Brown's signings, only 3 have come in June - White, Weston and Barnard.

Let's be patient. This time last year there was panic as Shrewsbury had gone up and almost had a whole new squad by mid-June, yet they only just avoided relegation.

That's all good and well saying that but maybe PB needs to keep his gob shut for once in his life. He came out saying because we weren't in the playoffs it would benefit us and we could do our business early. When he comes out with lines like that we are going to be looking forward to early signings and when they don't come of course we are going to be ****ed off.

I take your point, but I would put that more down to poor management. If you compare their squad with ours, I would take theirs all day long. So for me, their recruitment policy is still a very good one.

Regardless of Crewe's poor results in the last couple of seasons, their system is still a class above the rest. They're always going to have peaks and troughs as it depends on the talent coming through. If two or three brilliant academy lads break into their first team next season, they could well be straight back up.

From the squad that had us well beaten in the JPT final, ex-academy lads Tootle, Moore, Murphy, Clayton, Colclough and Leitch-Smith have all departed for bigger things. Any squad would struggle to lose that talent. History suggests that they'll continue to bring lads through of that quality in the future and that could easily see them back into the Championship, where we'll all be crowing over their marvellous system again.

On the same hand there's a reasonable chance Crewe could fall into the conference if they don't have some top youngsters coming through.

So after 445+ posts, what we are saying, is that we are totally financially reliant on departures before arrivals can visit the seaside to consider their options?

Personally I like the Peterbough **** or bust attitude...lots of entertainment, success rate ..hit and miss....but didn't they keep their fans be/amused all season, not knowing the end product :thumbsup:

That's all good and well saying that but maybe PB needs to keep his gob shut for once in his life. He came out saying because we weren't in the playoffs it would benefit us and we could do our business early. When he comes out with lines like that we are going to be looking forward to early signings and when they don't come of course we are going to be ****ed off.
I've just come to ignore all of the **** that comes out of his mouth. For every 10 things he says, 1 will be true and actually happen and the other 9 are complete ******** and, if anything, the opposite will happen.

The players we are after have all been identified and interviewed. We can't sign them until we know where Bentley is going. Just like When my van got written-off last month, I couldn't collect my new car until the cheque arrived from the insurance company. Simple economics.

I would rathe PB took his time and got the right signings instead of some of the dross rhat has been signed the last couple of seasons. Im sure he has identified what positions need filling and what players he would like to bring in.Im also pretty sure he has spoken to the players and their managers ,now its a waiting game as im sure also those players and thier managers are hoping on a better deal from other clubs .After all we are Southend not ManU or Chelsae etc with a big fat cheque book.

They also have the wonderful Barry Fry, whom I believe, took us to our highest ever position in league football. Legend:smile:

The players we are after have all been identified and interviewed. We can't sign them until we know where Bentley is going. Just like When my van got written-off last month, I couldn't collect my new car until the cheque arrived from the insurance company. Simple economics.

Why can't we sign them until we know where Bentley is going? Unless we agree a fee with the club that wants him it will go to tribunal and won't get the money for a good while. And if he goes to Rangers well we are just ****ed then!

Why can't we sign them until we know where Bentley is going? Unless we agree a fee with the club that wants him it will go to tribunal and won't get the money for a good while. And if he goes to Rangers well we are just ****ed then!
By which time the players we want will have signed for someone else!:sad:

Speaking of Shrewsbury, I see they've released Jermaine Grandison. Big 6ft 4in defender who can play centre back or full back. Has had injury problems this season but only 25 so not sure if it's anything recurring. Sounds like a smashing lad by all accounts and was a fans favourite with many Shrews fans for his on and off the field antics. Definitely worth a look.

Is the exact type of defender we are missing. Is great at winning the first ball and a danger at set piece's.

Heard Phil on talk sport just now co-hosting the breakfast show. Making s toungue in cheek comment about signing Eider Gudjohnson is he isn't offered a deal at Bolton.

Also so was asked about Bolton job, responded with "I have a job to do at Southend Alan... You know that"

Exactly......So how much has PB got to spend £1m or zero.

His dad still not decided where he's going yet then?

so Phil Brown has done well then?

I too would like us to adopt Peterborough's transfer strategy but 1) if it was so good and easy why isn't everyone doing it?
2) if it's so good why did they only finish 4 points ahead of us (i know you've addressed that)
but
they've been in the Championship recently, we haven't.

Back