• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which rose tinted brigade. The fools who think sacking a manger will solve all their clubs problems.

Its bizarre really. Yes Fleetwood have signed a number early none of which we would want. Better players may take a bit longer. For example Holloway is a L2 striker who has scored 8 in 60 odd games. Now he's gone somewhere else we can say 'oh there we are Brown has missed another one, we should have snapped him up'. Yet if we had signed a L2 striker with that record it would have be absolute proof, a 'fact' no less, that we were in crisis and on the way down..

Looking through the signings that have gone through to date virtually none would we be interested in or need, and two we had and chose to let go.

BTW Deegan to Shrewsbury- pleased for him, I said I felt he would go to L2 or maybe a bottom half L1 club and he has done the latter and hopefully will get more game time there.

In fairness it is May 26. Some clubs haven't even finished their seasons yet!

I was told that the 28th was an important date with our club. Something to do with registrations ?

We would then know where we stand even with the likes of Bentley and Payne.

It's great that literally every thread on here these days turns into a Brown In/Brown Out saga.

I've heard Chris Assombalonga signed a pre contract with Dagenham but seems odd it hasn't been announced yet? If we can get in and nick him from them we should, think he has a big future.

I've heard Chris Assombalonga signed a pre contract with Dagenham but seems odd it hasn't been announced yet? If we can get in and nick him from them we should, think he has a big future.

He's not a youth prospect from a prem club who we can loan, so we won't be interested.

Shame, I haven't heard so many non league players buzzing about someone they think is going to do well since Dwight Gayle

I'd love to see us dip into the non league more. It's helped us find the odd gem with the likes of Nicky Bailey, Sean Clohessy, Ryan Hall and Ben Coker in recent times. I know it's not a massive haul but we don't often do it. Then you look at how many unsuccessful youth loan spells we've had and it makes you wonder why we keep going back. All the other clubs are reaping the rewards even the prem clubs are looking there especially with the success of Vardy! It's obviously not Brown's thing.

Ben Coker, Isaac Layne. It's not like Brown has never signed a player from non-league.

The fact is most non-league players are down there for a reason. No doubt there are a few gems of course - for example I'd love us to pick up Akinola from Braintree.

The loan rules are changing this year which may force Brown's hand a little. Clubs are not going to be able to sign loan players outside of the transfer windows, which will necessitate a more solid player base. I think a lot more non-league players and U21 players will be stepping up this season generally.

I'd love to see us dip into the non league more. It's helped us find the odd gem with the likes of Nicky Bailey, Sean Clohessy, Ryan Hall and Ben Coker in recent times. I know it's not a massive haul but we don't often do it. Then you look at how many unsuccessful youth loan spells we've had and it makes you wonder why we keep going back. All the other clubs are reaping the rewards even the prem clubs are looking there especially with the success of Vardy! It's obviously not Brown's thing.

I think a lot of people get carried away with the non league thing, there are very few Vardy's and most are flops. It is worth a gamble sometimes though. I wouldn't say change our recruitment policy completely, just be a bit more flexible.

Bailey - got promoted with Barnet and played L2 before coming to Southend
Clohessy - established at Gillingham, youth at Arsenal
Coker - ex Col U
Hall - played a few games at Palace

None of these were exclusively non-league.

Bailey - got promoted with Barnet and played L2 before coming to Southend
Clohessy - established at Gillingham, youth at Arsenal
Coker - ex Col U
Hall - played a few games at Palace

None of these were exclusively non-league.

You can say that about a lot of players though:

Dwight Gayle - Arsenal youth
Chris Smalling - Millwall youth
Jamie Vardy - Sheff Wed youth

All I'm getting at is there is a lot of players in there with more determination to make it as they've had that knock back. Look at how Kightly proved us wrong after we let him go. I'm not saying these prem youth loanees don't have the determination but they have a contract at a prem club and haven't had to struggle like the lads who have been in their position and dropped down and out of the league.

You can say that about a lot of players though:

Dwight Gayle - Arsenal youth
Chris Smalling - Millwall youth
Jamie Vardy - Sheff Wed youth

All I'm getting at is there is a lot of players in there with more determination to make it as they've had that knock back. Look at how Kightly proved us wrong after we let him go. I'm not saying these prem youth loanees don't have the determination but they have a contract at a prem club and haven't had to struggle like the lads who have been in their position and dropped down and out of the league.

Yeah maybe you're right. But the players I mentioned were at least well known by local scouts, they weren't complete unknowns who have played non-league all their life.

ps Smalling played for England schoolboys whilst at Maidstone, so he hardly kept his light under a bushel so to speak. He was head and shoulders the best player at the Stones, even at 18.

I understand the thinking behind getting a "diamond" from the non-league ...... but as said the players are in the lower divisions for a reason.

Having said that players develop and mature at differing rates and so it can be that a player that falls down the leagues after having been a promising youth can come good ............ but quite who to pick is tricky, isn't it?

That Dave Martin was an England Under 21 captain I think ........ and he played most of his career in the 3rd and 4th division, didn't he?

In some ways it is a Catch 22 situation - you need to have some budget reserve to take the risk on the players and their wages and then hopefully hit the jackpot ........... but you can't do that when you have such a tight financial position. :'(

Why is it that no-one mentions Anton Flood in discussions like this. Oh hang on, I just did.

Hash tag: Nonleagueflopsandsuccesses

I understand the thinking behind getting a "diamond" from the non-league ...... but as said the players are in the lower divisions for a reason.

Having said that players develop and mature at differing rates and so it can be that a player that falls down the leagues after having been a promising youth can come good ............ but quite who to pick is tricky, isn't it?

That Dave Martin was an England Under 21 captain I think ........ and he played most of his career in the 3rd and 4th division, didn't he?

In some ways it is a Catch 22 situation - you need to have some budget reserve to take the risk on the players and their wages and then hopefully hit the jackpot ........... but you can't do that when you have such a tight financial position. :'(

Why is it that no-one mentions Anton Flood in discussions like this. Oh hang on, I just did.

Hash tag: Nonleagueflopsandsuccesses

Wasn't he Irish league, not non-league? Similar principle though.

ps Smalling played for England schoolboys whilst at Maidstone, so he hardly kept his light under a bushel so to speak. He was head and shoulders the best player at the Stones, even at 18.

Oh, glad to hear he's been the best at something somewhere as he's a long way from being the best current England defender!!! :facepalm:

There aren't any central defenders these days as you're not allowed to make contact with the opposition forwards. Pat Scully, Paul Clark, Spencer Prior - where are the players like this?

I've clearly got to the stage where I sound like my dad.

There aren't any central defenders these days as you're not allowed to make contact with the opposition forwards. Pat Scully, Paul Clark, Spencer Prior - where are the players like this?

I've clearly got to the stage where I sound like my dad.

I think I know what you mean ...... but I remember watching Thompson closely one game and I was surprised by quite how much blocking, holding, pushing and "in your face-iness" that he was doing. And Mark Philips was another who was good at that ..................... but no, it's not like in the old days - but then you had players like Doughnut who more than gave as good as he got in return. :'(:'(

Back