• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Looking at goalkeepers I see Simon Eastwood was among the players released by Blackburn. Not played much for them in the last few years but was quite highly rated at one point and at 26 is a good age. And with a surname like that...

Bobby Zamora's nephew plays for Trinity his sister lives locally his wage is the issue I think for a team like us, probably would get a few in league 1

I'm sure his name has been mentioned, but how about Marvin Sordell?

He is at a good age (turned 25 in February) and is obviously a player that was highly regarded a few years back, playing at the London Olympics.

We've all been crying out for that pacey strike that can play off the should for a few years. He seemed to start well at Col U, but inevitably in such a poor side, chances were going to be few and far between. If we can offer Mooney a two year deal, why not Mr Sordell - I'm sure that would be appeal to the boy?

He is at a good age (turned 25 in February) and is obviously a player that was highly regarded a few years back, playing at the London Olympics.

We've all been crying out for that pacey strike that can play off the should for a few years. He seemed to start well at Col U, but inevitably in such a poor side, chances were going to be few and far between. If we can offer Mooney a two year deal, why not Mr Sordell - I'm sure that would be appeal to the boy?

I would be really disappointed if we signed Sordell. He was highly regarded once upon a time but has been trading off past glory for the last few seasons as he's done absolutely nothing of note for a long time now. We can do so much better than that.

I would be really disappointed if we signed Sordell. He was highly regarded once upon a time but has been trading off past glory for the last few seasons as he's done absolutely nothing of note for a long time now. We can do so much better than that.

I tend to agree with this. We need a bit of experience in the team but also someone who has a proven track record of scoring goals. Sordell stinks of being another Hunt, Eastwood, Barnard etc. We need pace up top, and someone with an eye for goal. I'm not saying it will be easy to find said person, but then that's why PB is paid his wage. No doubt though that we need more goals from the side next season

I'd prefer to gamble on a non league striker who is banging them in than someone who was good once. There are plenty of Charlie Austins and Lee Gregorys in the conference players who will snap your hand off for a chance at league football. We had success with Eastwood, Ryan Hall and recently Coker came from Hitchin. Surely better than someone who is past their peak or another young loanee from a premier club.

I'd prefer to gamble on a non league striker who is banging them in than someone who was good once. There are plenty of Charlie Austins and Lee Gregorys in the conference players who will snap your hand off for a chance at league football. We had success with Eastwood, Ryan Hall and recently Coker came from Hitchin. Surely better than someone who is past their peak or another young loanee from a premier club.

ah those were the days, but we prefer very expensive, experienced older players, who will offer a third of a season if lucky.

All in the last week, Payne from Dover to Barnsley, Nadeson , Horley to Fleetwood, Yiadon , Barnet to Barnsley, Jones daggers to Coventry, Goddard Woking to Swindon.

Quite right. But you have to remember you're in the minority as every year people hanker after ageing relics who were good 5 years ago, are seeking 1 last pay cheque, and "could do a job at this level".

Marvin was released by us yesterday along with several other players, he looked a class act when fit but missed virtually all the second half of the season due to injury but as you say is still only 25.

ah those were the days, but we prefer very expensive, experienced older players, who will offer a third of a season if lucky.

All in the last week, Payne from Dover to Barnsley, Nadeson , Horley to Fleetwood, Yiadon , Barnet to Barnsley, Jones daggers to Coventry, Goddard Woking to Swindon.

Jones has huge potential.

What a lot of people forget is that the majority of non-league are part time, and have full time jobs as well. I think I'm right in saying when Braintree won at Grimbsy in the first leg of the play offs, the only person who didn't have to work the next day was Mark Phillips. I know a few people who have turned down full time football because they won't make the money they do at present.

Non-league players aren't always cheap. Some of my mates are working in the city on £50-60k a year, plus money at non-league. It'd have be be similar money to take the risk of going full time.

A mate of mine is a season-ticket holder at the AMEX and said that although Zamora still has class, he was persistently dogged by injuries all last season. Surely we don't need another player like that? Basically Noel Hunt take two

I agree with you. We don't seem to be looking in depth at the non league scene. Plenty of players have come through that route at other clubs, some going on to international level. Obviously they don't always turn out as gems but they are much cheaper to sign and are well worth a punt. Much better than signing journeyman players who rarely improve. For a club with a limited budget I would have thought we would do more business outside of the football league .

What a lot of people forget is that the majority of non-league are part time, and have full time jobs as well. I think I'm right in saying when Braintree won at Grimbsy in the first leg of the play offs, the only person who didn't have to work the next day was Mark Phillips. I know a few people who have turned down full time football because they won't make the money they do at present.

Non-league players aren't always cheap. Some of my mates are working in the city on £50-60k a year, plus money at non-league. It'd have be be similar money to take the risk of going full time.

That is a fair point but there are hundreds who would love a crack at Football League level.

That is a fair point but there are hundreds who would love a crack at Football League level.

If the money is right, which means it isn't always the cheap option.

The cheaper option is, more often than not, taking the youngster on loan from the Premier League/Championship.

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of 'Conference' teams are full time these days. Shows what a good job Braintree did as part timers. Danny Cowley has proved he's no one hit wonder, If we're ever looking for a new manager he could well be a good (and more importantly cheap) bet.

I agree with your analysis, rayleigh dan. But there is a lot of 'snobbery' in soccer. A lot of club boardrooms at the lower level would rather appoint someone with a Premier/Championship connection but little managerial track record rather than someone like Danny Crowley who has consistenly demonstrated he can produce and manage successful teams on very tight budgets.

Back