• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wingers

Ryan Hall was outstanding for goal scoring.

Gower was class, Mitchell Cole was very decent and I always though Macglauchlin ( lad now at Mansfield...however you spell his surname!) He was excellent in both attack and defence

Andy ansah, Steve Tilson, Jon hunt and by far the best I've seen ever in supporting blues... Ricky otto. I haven't seen anyone really come close since
Johnny McKinven was twice the player that Ricky Otto was , and in 57 years of watching Southend Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis from the 1971/72 promotion team are the finest ever wingers playing in the same team .

Johnny McKinven was twice the player that Ricky Otto was , and in 57 years of watching Southend Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis from the 1971/72 promotion team are the finest ever wingers playing in the same team .

Derek Woodley on the right and John McKinven on the left played a lot of games together in the 60s .

Woodley was sheer pace - never got his shorts dirty even on the wettest muddiest pitches and we called him Brylcreem Boy as he never had a hair out of place. He was my first Blues idol!

Gary Nelson used to beat the full back then go back and beat him again, trouble was forwards couldn't time their run very frustrating sometimes!

I recall he signed from Raith Rovers and had apparently played there with Jim Baxter. I saw him play when I was a kid, not desperate to know but it would be nice to clear up the debate in our car. I think he broke his leg at least once in the old South Bank end but don’t recall if he hit the wall or was subject to a heavy tackle!
He broke it in front of me whilst I was in the paddock .
I can still remember the noise as if it was yesterday,it was awful .

Ryan Hall was outstanding for goal scoring.

Gower was class, Mitchell Cole was very decent and I always though Macglauchlin ( lad now at Mansfield...however you spell his surname!) He was excellent in both attack and defence
No G

Also back in the late 50's was Gordon Barker...who also opened the batting for Essex during the summer
Explosively , in partnership with Dickie Dodds.
A tiny man,an ok winger—he later taught for many years at Brentwood School.

Back