• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wingers

We haven’t had a decent winger since Francis Laurent and obviously this is the reason we are not scoring goals. Apart from JCR I cannot remember another decent winger in the last 20 years. Anyone got any thoughts?

We haven’t had a decent winger since Francis Laurent and obviously this is the reason we are not scoring goals. Apart from JCR I cannot remember another decent winger in the last 20 years. Anyone got any thoughts?
You have to go back 50 years to find a couple of good wingers , Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis knew just how to beat defenders and get the ball over .

I'm sure many will point out reasons why Laurent WASN'T decent but I actually liked him. I thought he was an exciting player to watch on his day, sometimes he even seemed unplayable.

JCR was fun to watch and all the skill but sadly loved the corner flag rather than running into the box. Infuriated me back then.

You have to go back 50 years to find a couple of good wingers , Terry Johnson and Bernie Lewis knew just how to beat defenders and get the ball over .
A fair few decent wingers from the last twenty years are mentioned above. Gower was absolute class. Going back a bit further. Otto? Ansah? Were they not good?

Do traditional wingers still exist? Full-backs tend to provide the width these days and those who do play as wingers tend to be inverted to use their 'stronger' foot.

Also, to be nit-picky, didn't Laurent play up front rather than on the wing?

I would argue a lack of decent wingers is not the reason for our lack of goals!

A fair few decent wingers from the last twenty years are mentioned above. Gower was absolute class. Going back a bit further. Otto? Ansah?
A fair few decent wingers from the last twenty years are mentioned above. Gower was absolute class. Going back a bit further. Otto? Ansah? Were they not good?
I am not saying they were not good , but to my mind you have to go back 50 years to Johnson and Lewis , if I went back a little further Johnny McKinven was twice the player Otto was .

Back