• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who are the passengers Maher is referring to?

Continually tactically inept, poor substitutions, too afraid to move from his beloved 5-2-3 after getting swamped in midfield most games.

The most frustrating thing is I believe we have rhe nucleus of a very good team, some fantastic players at this level at least. Sadly I think our manager is showing real signs of being very naive and possibly too big a job with his lack of experience as a manager
Currie should be the number 1

I fear how many goals will be scored by wrexham should we not have an experienced GK come saturday . NDI confidence now must be at a very low point., Seems Wrexham of late are scoring goals for fun.
At home they are,and who have they played??

Maher picked the team, if any player is not good enough then drop them simple.
I would still give Maher this season to work on the team but if there is no improvement by the end of the season then sorry to say he will need to go.
Being realistic I was prepared for Southend to be stuck in this league for 5 years, its so hard to get out once in.
Well done to Chesterfield a great team at this level and they showed last season how good they were but just fell short towards the end.

As for Southend have to be looking at mid table this season.
Stick with the manager Shrimpers unless we are really struggling obviously.
Mid table? Why?? This time last season we was lower down the league standings and results were worse.We then went 15 games unbeaten and the only reason we didnt make playoffs is because lopata was recalled to Sheffield.Dont u think it's a little early to be writing us off? We have loads of points still to play for and we will get our act together.

If I've said it once I'll say it again,no matter what happens to us this season Darren Currie should have been given the managers job."Sorry stan u and the panel got the roles the wrong way round.

There is no coincidence that Barnet were poor with Fonguck in their side last year but have started so much more impressive this season without him. He clearly has talent on the ball but goes missing in stages .... dare I say it, he reminds me of Nathan Ferguson.
Agreed the poor man’s Timothy Diang for some reason people think he’s good but I see a man that spends the game being second to every ball tackle and second ball … gutless journey man lay years modified was bundles better than this seasons

I’m glad he made those comments. Unlike Brown though, he (quite rightly) didn’t throw any specific players under the bus. I think comments like this are often a good psychological tool to deploy as the squad should hopefully now be wondering and hoping that they weren’t one of the ones he was referring to. If they think they might be, it’s a rocket up the arse.

But I think we need to get a bit tougher and a bit nastier. That will help now Kasper is back, but I think we could do with a ****house in the middle of the park.
We need a Timlin/ McCormack - that could well turn the tide

we were right behind the second goal due to the angle we were sat

Firstly we should have had a freekick as kensdale was clearly fouled. We should have defended it better and although the shot went right into the corner im certain Arnold being that bit taller would have saved it as he might have the freekick at Eastleigh. Im not digging Colin out far from it, but Arnold is taller and thats a fact and another few inches reach makes a huge difference especially in goal

Arnold wouldn't have saved that. Along the floor, off the post and from inside our box. Your right though definite foul but some poor defending after that. Just like the first goal when their only player between the posts had far to much room. Powell In the same position at 2-1 had to snatch at it because of top defending. Yet some on here claimed he missed a sitter....That is the difference between top teams and the inconsistent ones like us.

Arnie wouldn't have saved the 3rd goal either. So rather than blaming Colin or even Clifford the smart ones amongst you should spot how deep our CB's were and understand why Kev was so angry.

Colin made a great save after a corner otherwise we may have been 2-0 down. He also put a great side foot kick onto Dackers head to create our 1st goal.

As for Eastleigh, it was Kensdale making himself smaller and deflecting the ball that cost us a draw.

We won't know who exactly he was referring to unless there are changes at the weekend, but hopefully a rocket has been let off.

That being said, it doesn't absolve the management team team.of blame for their part in the loss. There is just too much passivity there, a fear of making a bold change. Much more proactivity needed. An extra body was needed in midfield ASAP after they brought Akinola on, and we arguably didn't need to be 3 at the back anymore once they went down to 10 men.

I'm impressed with how we play when it all comes together, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's not always going to come together how everybody wants. It's great that the management team are trying to form an identity and it's one that I like, but there must must must be some tactical flexibility and at least a Plan B. We don't seem to have one.

Much work still to be done.

Like others thoughts, Clifford seems to be the main person struggling just at the moment. Could be his position, although I think he’s better on the ball than off it. He did burst into the scene as an orthodox left back though I think and was impressive. If it’s him I wouldn’t be surprised

Defensively we started the season well, and that justified the formation. Seems to have gone to pot the last 2 games, so we could do worse than a switch to a 4, and have 3 in the middle of the park. With kasper back, we have the leader there now.

Having watched the extended highlights, two that should be worried about Kev’s comments are Clifford and Fonguck. I like Clifford, but he’s a serious problem at the moment. He was turned inside out against Chesterfield and it’s no surprise that 2 of their 3 goals, plus numerous chances, came from his side after he was beaten or didn’t stop the cross. Fonguck was far too casual in his defending too.

To play 3-4-3/5-2-3 effectively, in the middle you need either a box to box midfielder with a defensive midfielder, or two box to box midfielders. Miley is defensive and I think Husin would be our box to box. Fonguck seems a bit of a luxury player at the moment. He does good things going forward, but think he’s best suited to either come on as a sub if we’re chasing a game, playing a weaker opposition, or as a number 10 if we set up 3-4-1-2.

I also worry that maybe GSM’s fitness isn’t up to full speed yet, at least not enough to play as a wing back where he’s expected to get up and down the pitch for 90mins. But I guess that will be improving all the time.

Sadly I don’t think there’s much we can really do about it at the moment. Clifford plays until Ralph is back and Fonguck plays until Husin/Taylor are back. We don’t have anyone else apart from the youngsters.

With the personnel available, maybe switching to a 4-3-3 would be sensible. Less responsibility on Clifford and GSM and a holding midfielder to take the pressure off Fonguck to defend and allow him to get forward:

Collin

GSM, Hobson, Lopata, Clifford

Kensdale
Miley, Fonguck

Mooney, Dackers, Powell​

Maher picked the team, if any player is not good enough then drop them simple.
I would still give Maher this season to work on the team but if there is no improvement by the end of the season then sorry to say he will need to go.
Being realistic I was prepared for Southend to be stuck in this league for 5 years, its so hard to get out once in.
Well done to Chesterfield a great team at this level and they showed last season how good they were but just fell short towards the end.

As for Southend have to be looking at mid table this season.
Stick with the manager Shrimpers unless we are really struggling obviously.
We’ve got two really hard games coming up now and the worrying thing is, I can’t see us winning either of them. Loosing the way we did to Torguay and experiencing a complete collapse against 10 men the other night puts shivers down the spine of the most eternal optimist.

Unfortunately, the treatment table at the moment seems to dictate what side we put out but that’s still no excuse for making it easy for teams to play against us.

One things for sure we definitely need to toughen up a bit, there’s some big old lumps in this league and they don’t mind throwing their weight around. Probably why we’ve got so many injuries lol.

Oh well fingers crossed eh.

After seeing the highlights Chesterfield looked better then us all over the pitch and steve Arnold wouldn't have made any difference to the goals colin conceded,from what I can see colin made some great saves.So was colin to blame for when joe Quigley seemed to effortlessly glide past 3 of our defenders for the equaliser? One of our defenders only had to stick a leg out for f...k sake!!

Back