• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who are the passengers Maher is referring to?

Mooney is highly probable. As good as he is on the ball, he is the polar opposite off of the ball. He will unlock teams like Maidenhead easily, when defending isn't asked of him. However, he has to step up against the better teams and he doesn't. It's why he was hauled off at Eastleigh, he wasn't closing down at all.

Fonguck always looks completely spent after ten minutes. So asking him and Miley to be competitive against 3 in midfield is always going to be an uphill task.

I wasn't there last night so I have no insight who the 3 players were that Quigley barged through. It would be out of character if it was Hobson as he always throws his body into everything. Kensdale maybe?

Either way, the back line were probably exposed due to the lack of unity and stability in midfield. I mentioned this before, but Taylor was definitely brought in to play in games like last night and would probably play in a 3 man midfield away from home. Unfortunately, we don't have many midfielders available. Maher needs to address this asap because it's starting to seem like the old days, blaming defenders but it's actually the lack of midfield protecting them.
Of course, Kev and the team are the only ones who know.
But you can add GSM and Clifford to that list.
They weren't playing well, and it showed.
I'd like to see their second goal again, but it seemed very preventable, and without the benefit of hindsight am not sure Arnold would have let that shot in.

I’m glad he made those comments. Unlike Brown though, he (quite rightly) didn’t throw any specific players under the bus. I think comments like this are often a good psychological tool to deploy as the squad should hopefully now be wondering and hoping that they weren’t one of the ones he was referring to. If they think they might be, it’s a rocket up the arse.

But I think we need to get a bit tougher and a bit nastier. That will help now Kasper is back, but I think we could do with a ****house in the middle of the park.
Won't that make it difficult to play though having such an obsticle there. Surely they belong in the stands. 🤷‍♂️

I mentioned this before, but Taylor was definitely brought in to play in games like last night and would probably play in a 3 man midfield away from home.

Absolutely correct and spot on. HT would be permanently in the 16 man squad, probably not a starter every week, but if he was available last night, he would have probably came on as soon as we went 2-1 up. Would have allowed Cav to play further up the field as he was on a booking.

I don't like young Clifford too much stick off Maher during the game
- can't see that being a way to acheive positive improvement ..

Mooney can be dangerous but he can also be wasteful, lightweight and absent.

Wes - can look good but not sure hes a real battler ..

Cav - not got an enforcer game in him ..

Gus - he looks small ..

... I think when Maher says not a team I think he means they dont have the spirit that the Tilson teams had ... which is not surprising

One of my two criticisms of Kev would be the midfield situation. Especially away games, where the commentators are saying we are being overrun in midfield in a 2 against 3 situation. It's happened a lot under Kev's tenure. Sort it out Kev, and get 3 in the middle, even if you have to lose a wing back. It's not like they are adding much to the game anyway.

There is no coincidence that Barnet were poor with Fonguck in their side last year but have started so much more impressive this season without him. He clearly has talent on the ball but goes missing in stages .... dare I say it, he reminds me of Nathan Ferguson.
I tend to agree with you re Fonguck, he definitely has talent but seems to be terrified of taking a shot at goal and is not the greatest tackler. We need a strong tough tackling attacking midfielder who can score goals. Trouble is, where can you find them on our budget.

I'm not sure KM's words are necessarily directed at anyone in particular, probably just shooting from the hip out of frustration (which is understandable).

Calling out the players as a group is OK in my book, just as long as it isn't every week. This is what did for Brown last season, so hopefully this is a one off for KM.

Clifford and Fonguck my bets, but Powell could also be in the firing line as our main squanderer of chances.

Fonguck doesn’t even go up for headers or put a foot in most of the time, but surely DC’s prior ‘due diligence’ told us this... Parts of his game are good, but not consistently enough; just like Taylor, he was one of the people Barnet weren’t too bothered about losing.

You reap what you sow.

Box-to-box midfielder needed ASAP and Jack Bridge to be given a run of games.

Yeah, kind of.
He seems wooden. He was wrong-footed for their first, and lacks the skill/mobility to adjust in the instant.
Contributed very little last night, but there were at least three who contributed less.

Which 3? (I wasn’t there)

One of my two criticisms of Kev would be the midfield situation. Especially away games, where the commentators are saying we are being overrun in midfield in a 2 against 3 situation. It's happened a lot under Kev's tenure. Sort it out Kev, and get 3 in the middle, even if you have to lose a wing back. It's not like they are adding much to the game anyway.

Ok, but who are you bringing on to provide the extra legs to take control of the midfield situation?

The tough tackling midfield terrier that is Jack Bridge?

The grizzled veteran Oli Coker who came onto such good effect at Eastleigh?

I'm not sure KM's words are necessarily directed at anyone in particular, probably just shooting from the hip out of frustration (which is understandable).

Calling out the players as a group is OK in my book, just as long as it isn't every week. This is what did for Brown last season, so hopefully this is a one off for KM.
I suppose it’s telling that even in this angry rant we’re not entirely sure who it is directed at, rather than leaving individuals out to dry.

I actually think we’re playing ok and still expect us to make the play-offs.

Ok, but who are you bringing on to provide the extra legs to take control of the midfield situation?

Demi. He's played there before. He not the best there, but better than nothing until Noor comes back. And at least he's competitive in the middle. They would not have overrun us for sure last night in the middle if he was in there.

Clifford and Fonguck my bets, but Powell could also be in the firing line as our main squanderer of chances.

Fonguck doesn’t even go up for headers or put a foot in most of the time, but surely DC’s prior ‘due diligence’ told us this... Parts of his game are good, but not consistently enough; just like Taylor, he was one of the people Barnet weren’t too bothered about losing.

You reap what you sow.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that.

The management team at Barnet worked incredibly hard to try and keep hold of him. Another who had other options, but chose to come to us.

Of course, Kev and the team are the only ones who know.
But you can add GSM and Clifford to that list.
They weren't playing well, and it showed.
I'd like to see their second goal again, but it seemed very preventable, and without the benefit of hindsight am not sure Arnold would have let that shot in.
we were right behind the second goal due to the angle we were sat

Firstly we should have had a freekick as kensdale was clearly fouled. We should have defended it better and although the shot went right into the corner im certain Arnold being that bit taller would have saved it as he might have the freekick at Eastleigh. Im not digging Colin out far from it, but Arnold is taller and thats a fact and another few inches reach makes a huge difference especially in goal

Demi. He's played there before. He not the best there, but better than nothing until Noor comes back. And at least he's competitive in the middle. They would not have overrun us for sure last night in the middle if he was in there.
But Noor isn't a defensive hard tackling midfielder either

But Noor isn't a defensive hard tackling midfielder either
It was more about numbers and space given to Chesterfield last night. Glenn Pennyfather said they have so much space and the extra man to pass to in the middle. Meaning they were very quickly attacking our defence once they got the ball.

The same Demetriou who hasn’t played there since the two relegation seasons when we were constantly overrun in the middle?

You reap what you sow.

Kev hates Bridge, just like he hated Gard!
Bridge far too attacking for him and a fit Gard would have been better than all 3 of the midfielders playing now….pulling up trees with Tilson.
Let’s face it K.M is pretty clueless. Don’t know what input the other two have but takes some doing to lose a lead against 10 men , don’t auger well !

I wouldn’t be so sure of that.

The management team at Barnet worked incredibly hard to try and keep hold of him. Another who had other options, but chose to come to us.
Apologies Boywonder, I should have been more specific and said that from their fans forum perspective he was touted as one to probably be replaced if they wanted to move up a notch.

Obviously fans forums don’t often take into account that he was played out of his natural position for a great deal of that time!

No doubt he is a good squad player and one I’m very happy to have, due to the depth he gives. But I think he will struggle to break in to this starting 11 in central-mid based on the little we’ve seen so far. Hope he proves us all wrong!

Which 3? (I wasn’t there)

I suppose it’s telling that even in this angry rant we’re not entirely sure who it is directed at, rather than leaving individuals out to dry.

I actually think we’re playing ok and still expect us to make the play-offs.
Referencing my post: GSM, Clifford and Miley.
The latter was under the personal radar as a result of covering Eastleigh a while back.
He wasn't the greatest Spitfire when first arrived, but I was told he'd improved since, and has earned good reviews here.
If so, he forgot about all the good things last night.

Referencing my post: GSM, Clifford and Miley.
The latter was under the personal radar as a result of covering Eastleigh a while back.
He wasn't the greatest Spitfire when first arrived, but I was told he'd improved since, and has earned good reviews here.
If so, he forgot about all the good things last night.
Miley was probably due an off game. He’s been excellent. Our player of the month for August and had been even better in September.

Back