• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who are the passengers Maher is referring to?

I see powell as an impact sub coming on when everyone is knackered at the end. Pure speculation on my part but my guess is thats what maher sees too. For me we looked much better with 2 strikers up front.
There was an argument ,I concede,for putting our leading goal scorer and defence-destroying dynamo on the bench but after a goalless hour in which we’d created very few chances,we needed him badly and if we still hadn’t scored,Bridge 15 minutes later. Poor management.

Was Louis Lomas also dropped from the squad as well? If so, I think he can consider himself treated harshly. I think he certainly deserves to be in the squad.
I like Kensdale but with Hobson playing superbly,he’s the one most likely to slip up at the back and I think Lomas ,only slightly, looks a better bet at present.

Well done for the point against Wrexham and so nearly three. Maher had players back which enabled him to change things up a bit personnel wise. Dackers plus one other looks a healthy option. Hyde did fine but I think Powell or Wreh would have flourished on the day. The key thing, as we saw previously, was having Ralph back. Our one weak area, the left, was bolstered and he brings greater attacking intent from there too. Let's hope he stays fit.

I see powell as an impact sub coming on when everyone is knackered at the end. Pure speculation on my part but my guess is thats what maher sees too. For me we looked much better with 2 strikers up front.
Agree entirely mate. Powell on for the last half hour to add something different and run at tired defences.

There was an argument ,I concede,for putting our leading goal scorer and defence-destroying dynamo on the bench but after a goalless hour in which we’d created very few chances,we needed him badly and if we still hadn’t scored,Bridge 15 minutes later. Poor management.
With Powell on we could well have been 2-0 down, who knows. To me, the right selection on the day, I thought the front 2 did a great job and Mooney thrived as the only showman in the village. Remember that Wrexham are a team right at the top that are probably going up and we looked untroubled.

Last edited:
I totally agree with the team selection on Saturday, far and away the strongest team we could have fielded. I like Powell for his industry and work rate, but there are a lot of areas he needs to improve. Finishing for one and then decision making and awareness around the opposition's penalty box. Just think, had he put away even just a couple more of the chances he had, or made better decisions then we would be top half no problem.

For the moment the best he can hope for is the bench and use as an impact player. Harsh perhaps, but we still have at least Cardwell to come back. Perhaps Powell, Mooney and Bridge are competing for the same position.

Like others thoughts, Clifford seems to be the main person struggling just at the moment. Could be his position, although I think he’s better on the ball than off it. He did burst into the scene as an orthodox left back though I think and was impressive. If it’s him I wouldn’t be surprised

Defensively we started the season well, and that justified the formation. Seems to have gone to pot the last 2 games, so we could do worse than a switch to a 4, and have 3 in the middle of the park. With kasper back, we have the leader there now.
I dont get it either! When clifford burst on the scene he was supposed to be our best player with a great future! Maybe he will still come good.

I agree he certainly can contribute as an impact sub but I think he might also have a role starting when we play away from home. His pace and energy (regardless of his wayward finishing) make him a player who cannot be ignored. The hope would then be to limit the attacking options of the home team.

I agree he certainly can contribute as an impact sub but I think he might also have a role starting when we play away from home. His pace and energy (regardless of his wayward finishing) make him a player who cannot be ignored. The hope would then be to limit the attacking options of the home team.
One of the things i noticed on Saturday is we had a lot less shots compared to previous games with Powell in the team. No doubt he makes a lot of his own chances but he also makes chances for other players just by occupying defenders with his movement and pace. He is a constant worry for defences, either with or without the ball

I think we had less chances on Saturday because we were playing Wrexham and not because Powell wasn't playing.

CP should have at least 20mins on Saturday. He was warming up at one stage. So far Mooney becomes less effective late on and was clearly limping.

No Problem with a Dackers and Hyde start but that game was there for us after 70. Powell is far more of handfull than Bridge.

So far 7 goals from open play. Powell has either scored or been involved in all 7. GSM scored with his head from a corner. Powell even won that corner, as he often does, with some quick feet and good shot.

If only we had some more passengers like Powell.....We would have beaten Chesterfield and Wrexham in 5 days.

Yeah we looked more solid and purposeful with Ralph on the left and the two strikers up front to aim at. I was really impressed with both, I’m now thinking can we carry Mooney and Powell in the same side? Mooney floating behind maybe suits him better but that only works if the wing backs get forward and we aren’t left short at the back .. ie the “back 3” do their jobs. Plus we need the two centre mids to hold shape and graft. They did today.

Corners were much better, not always short, clearing the 1st man and some added threat in the 6 yard box. Kacper was immense and Hobson looks so much more confident with him alongside so that helped too..a good spine and no real obvious weak spots for them to target.
Indeed. Ralph plays a lot higher up the pitch than Clifford, and is more willing to take his man on. That's not a criticism of Clifford, it's just that they're different types of player. The benefit of Ralph is that he occupies the opposition right back and keeps him in his own half.

Last edited:
One of the things i noticed on Saturday is we had a lot less shots compared to previous games with Powell in the team. No doubt he makes a lot of his own chances but he also makes chances for other players just by occupying defenders with his movement and pace. He is a constant worry for defences, either with or without the ball
That could also be because Wrexham are better than most of the teams we've played this year. They weren't brilliant, but they were better than the others.

I'd have him in the team he offers pace and directness which no other player does.
I assume you're talking about Powell? I like him too, but he's very wasteful in front of goal in terms of his conversion rate and his inability to find the right pass.

If he had scored half the chances he's made this season we'd be top. But, he is exciting and has an ability to create chances for himself too. If only he could convert or find the right pass more often. (Although if he could, he'd probably not be with us and I'm sure that's all stuff that KM and the gang are working on with him.)

I totally agree with the team selection on Saturday, far and away the strongest team we could have fielded. I like Powell for his industry and work rate, but there are a lot of areas he needs to improve. Finishing for one and then decision making and awareness around the opposition's penalty box. Just think, had he put away even just a couple more of the chances he had, or made better decisions then we would be top half no problem.

For the moment the best he can hope for is the bench and use as an impact player. Harsh perhaps, but we still have at least Cardwell to come back. Perhaps Powell, Mooney and Bridge are competing for the same position.
Powell love him or hate him,he will feel very hard done by being left out Saturday,scored and got a assist against chesterfield,He's the only one who's scored consistently this season,yes a good point Saturday but we are now 12 points of top spot so it's playoffs at best this season,Still think the management team will get it right been very unlucky with injuries so far.

I think a fit Hyde is a good player. Just how good I am not sure. His goal ratio is slightly less than that of Powell but, it could be argued he brings league experience, even though the majority of his games have been in the non-league and he never set the world alight with goal tallies in the league. I wouldn't class him as a player on the way down but more a player at his best level. I'm not sure I would think he is the contrast needed alongside Dackers but am happy to be proved wrong if he does well.

Powell is unfortunate. Most of his wastefulness was in the earlier games this season. He has certainly looked to pass and cross more. In fact he has whipped in some good balls and it's not his fault no one converted. I can't help but feel he would do well as a foil to Dackers.

I also think it's tough on Wreh. I like the look of him and he seems to have good positional sense. With a run of games I could see him scoring a good number.

We have, for a change, a number of plausible permutations up front and that will grow when Cardwell and Murphy return. Who would like the managers selection headache? Maher can't please everyone but I hope he gives opportunity to those that may progress should we go up this season or next.

I think a fit Hyde is a good player. Just how good I am not sure. His goal ratio is slightly less than that of Powell but, it could be argued he brings league experience, even though the majority of his games have been in the non-league and he never set the world alight with goal tallies in the league. I wouldn't class him as a player on the way down but more a player at his best level. I'm not sure I would think he is the contrast needed alongside Dackers but am happy to be proved wrong if he does well.

Powell is unfortunate. Most of his wastefulness was in the earlier games this season. He has certainly looked to pass and cross more. In fact he has whipped in some good balls and it's not his fault no one converted. I can't help but feel he would do well as a foil to Dackers.

I also think it's tough on Wreh. I like the look of him and he seems to have good positional sense. With a run of games I could see him scoring a good number.

We have, for a change, a number of plausible permutations up front and that will grow when Cardwell and Murphy return. Who would like the managers selection headache? Maher can't please everyone but I hope he gives opportunity to those that may progress should we go up this season or next.
Hyde seems an old school centre forward, but will need good service to score i reckon.

Powell can create things and is a nuisance.

As you say its good to have different options,

xG

Wrexham 0.90 from 5 shots
Chesterfield 0.91 from 13 shots

Basically we’re having fewer shots but the chances we’re creating are better chances.

But creating better chances over a season will be more valuable than creating lots of low quality chances. This is explained in more detail here.

Of course against Chesterfield we also played against 10 men for over half the game.

Back