• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? The Waiting Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having a go at the Consortium, but be nice to get an honest statement out, I know they read SZ
We know certain things cannot be disclosed and I’m sure ITK have info they will tell close friends in confidence
But 99 % of fans are in the dark, and just be nice to read an honest update without the normal it’s getting there, nearly there assumption
If you want fans on your side, be honest and not just to a few chosen club
UTS

Sadly, I really don't think it is a good deal for the residents of Southend who are in the private rented sector, and there are a lot of them, they are pretty much being condemned to have their rental reviews put into competition with a large number of properties coming into the sector at purposely inflated rental values. Property and rental values virtually the whole world over track the higher end of the market; the top end moves up and everything else falls in place behind at their relevant levels.
A purposeful injection of a large number of properties at a declared 20% uplift will result in an uplift of similar levels across the whole private rented sector. The effects won't happen immediately but they will filter through once those new properties grow as a market share in the sector. You have to remember that the majority of people who live and work in Southend are on below average wage and can really be struggling in a market that is distorted by the much higher disposable incomes of those who live here but work in the higher wage area in London.

I have seen recent reports of people in Southend already seeing 25%, or more, rental increases being demanded when rentals are being renewed and I just think that our Local Authority should not be a party involved in injecting an uplift pressure of 20% into that market. I feel that in 5-10 years time this will be seen as a poor deal for many of the residents that, if I were still in Council, I would have taken an oath to serve to the best of my ability.

Of course, this view is taken on the basis that I haven't seen any of the 'pink' papers detailing the financial ins and outs; there may well be some golden magical beans in there that make it all fantastic and will pave the streets with gold, cynically I would suggest that there aren't and that is why I have the view I have.

You know me pretty well, Cricko, and you know that I desperately want the club to thrive and I hope that when the deal goes through that will happen and I am proved spectacularly wrong about the private rented sector. If the FF units were going to come along at market levels, or below, I'd be championing the deal and be over there driving a digger!!!
Here’s probably not the best place for a huge intellectual debate around housing and rental prices. But the single biggest impact on rental prices is supply. The idea that rental prices would be higher rather than lower as a result of 1500 new homes injected into the market is an interesting one- I would make the opposite case. Of course, if the element of “affordable” housing was greater that would be preferred (certainly by me) but that is not the available option.

Update from Anna on X:

Following the immensely disappointing news today, I wanted to share a short update with fans and supporters:

A number of people have already reached out to me either on Twitter, Facebook or email, and I hope you will understand that I will not be able to reply to you all individually. But please know I have seen them all and truly understand the strength of feeling and share your frustration.

It seems almost unimaginable that we have again found ourselves in this situation. However, when it comes to Southend United, matters are rarely straightforward. Whilst for obvious reasons I cannot comment on proceedings, I can share that I have been in discussions with all parties on this deal, including a meeting at the Civic Centre just last week. I challenged officers about the delay and was assured that this was due to the complexity of the deal. But I do believe there is a genuine willingness from all sides to get this deal done as soon as practically possible.

I have seen much anger directed towards Southend City Council and various councillors from all parties, largely due to a perceived opacity surrounding the deal. However I would like to assure fans that senior officers at the Council, Councillor Cox, and others are all working assiduously to ensure everything that could possibly be done to protect the club, is being done. The multi-faceted nature of the takeover, which includes a housing element at Fossetts Farm, rightly needs to be properly scrutinized and unfortunately, this takes a considerable amount of time. I know all parties are keen to complete as soon as possible, whilst no date has been set yet, I have no doubt that will be shared with supporters as soon as possible.

I will continue to champion Southend United and the entire National League set-up in my role on the Football Governance Bill Committee, because events like today only highlight why the Bill is desperately needed. The Bill aims to put fans where they belong, at the heart of their clubs. Southend United is just two days away from it's 118th birthday and for every single second of that, it has been a huge part of the community and City.

Whilst it may feel so very far away at the moment, I look forward to being back in the West Stand with many of you in August, cheering on Kevin and the boys for what I hope will be the first page of a new chapter to the history of Southend United.

Update from Anna on X:

Following the immensely disappointing news today, I wanted to share a short update with fans and supporters:

A number of people have already reached out to me either on Twitter, Facebook or email, and I hope you will understand that I will not be able to reply to you all individually. But please know I have seen them all and truly understand the strength of feeling and share your frustration.

It seems almost unimaginable that we have again found ourselves in this situation. However, when it comes to Southend United, matters are rarely straightforward. Whilst for obvious reasons I cannot comment on proceedings, I can share that I have been in discussions with all parties on this deal, including a meeting at the Civic Centre just last week. I challenged officers about the delay and was assured that this was due to the complexity of the deal. But I do believe there is a genuine willingness from all sides to get this deal done as soon as practically possible.

I have seen much anger directed towards Southend City Council and various councillors from all parties, largely due to a perceived opacity surrounding the deal. However I would like to assure fans that senior officers at the Council, Councillor Cox, and others are all working assiduously to ensure everything that could possibly be done to protect the club, is being done. The multi-faceted nature of the takeover, which includes a housing element at Fossetts Farm, rightly needs to be properly scrutinized and unfortunately, this takes a considerable amount of time. I know all parties are keen to complete as soon as possible, whilst no date has been set yet, I have no doubt that will be shared with supporters as soon as possible.

I will continue to champion Southend United and the entire National League set-up in my role on the Football Governance Bill Committee, because events like today only highlight why the Bill is desperately needed. The Bill aims to put fans where they belong, at the heart of their clubs. Southend United is just two days away from it's 118th birthday and for every single second of that, it has been a huge part of the community and City.

Whilst it may feel so very far away at the moment, I look forward to being back in the West Stand with many of you in August, cheering on Kevin and the boys for what I hope will be the first page of a new chapter to the history of Southend United.
Someone needs to force Martin to sell now, there’s no reason to keep us on the hook. This is always overlooked. He could complete sale of club whenever he wants as far as I’m aware. Someone can enlighten me if I’m wrong though.

Update from Anna on X:

Pointless word salad

Someone needs to force Martin to sell now, there’s no reason to keep us on the hook. This is always overlooked. He could complete sale of club whenever he wants as far as I’m aware. Someone can enlighten me if I’m wrong though.
Sadly that would probably suit him and not us…yes we can have the club and the debts. But he can’t give us /sell the stadium unless the charge is cleared (even if we ignore the £20m). It’s very much in our/the consortium interests to complete the deal as negotiated I suspect- the prize is worth the chase…

I may be wrong ..but i totally blame that incompetent lying ronald martin ..i have been attending since 1977 this club is so important...indeed my grandfather attended the first ever leauge match we played at the kursaal in 1920 againsr brighton ..just get this done you ****@n incompetent greedy parasite or YOU will the most hated man in the borough

Same old, same old. Means nothing. Completing the second mile of a marathon is moving forward on finishing the first…
When will it be completed?
What is being done to ramp up and accelerate?
What information is still outstanding from whom?
There can be zero trust in the process currently hence only transparency will repair that…

Here’s probably not the best place for a huge intellectual debate around housing and rental prices. But the single biggest impact on rental prices is supply. The idea that rental prices would be higher rather than lower as a result of 1500 new homes injected into the market is an interesting one- I would make the opposite case. Of course, if the element of “affordable” housing was greater that would be preferred (certainly by me) but that is not the available option.
If you think 1,500 homes is going to make a significant affect on house supply I have a bridge to sell you

If you think 1,500 homes is going to make a significant affect on house supply I have a bridge to sell you
I didn’t say that. I did say
“The idea that rental prices would be higher rather than lower as a result of 1500 new homes injected into the market is an interesting one- I would make the opposite case.” The significant bit I didn’t say and would agree is unlikely.

I did say “the single biggest impact on rental prices is supply” but that was a general statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back