• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you think they deserved the sentences they got?

There are a set of guidelines for sentencing and judges have to impose a sentence that complies with these guidelines.

All of those who have been imprisoned for offences relating to the recent cases of public disorder and related discussion on social media pleaded guilty. I have little doubt they were leant on to plead guilty and made aware of the worst case sentence if they chose to contest charges.

I also have little doubt that the many of those imprisoned are of limited means financially and maybe intellectually.

If they had access to the same calibre of legal advice that Huw Edwards had I suspect quite a few of those languishing in prison for social media posts would be out on bail at present and expecting a lighter sentence as well.

If their is a two tier legal system it is not biased against 'patriots', speakers of 'common sense' or those with right wing views. It is biased against those who cannot afford top notch legal representation.

In any case the time to complain about disproportionate sentencing is not after you have been pinched and convicted.

A now convicted nonce gets a suspended 6 months prison term and hurty words on social media (whilst diabolical comments) or just standing filming a protest get you sent to prison for nearly 2 years. I'm sorry but that is just pathetic.

I feel a lot of people are upset because Huw Edwards in not in prison enduring daily beatings.

It is not the role of violent prisoners to dispense justice in the form of bullying. Loss of liberty is the punishment and although Hugh Edwards is not in jail he is not a free man.

There are a set of guidelines for sentencing and judges have to impose a sentence that complies with these guidelines.

All of those who have been imprisoned for offences relating to the recent cases of public disorder and related discussion on social media pleaded guilty. I have little doubt they were leant on to plead guilty and made aware of the worst case sentence if they chose to contest charges.

I also have little doubt that the many of those imprisoned are of limited means financially and maybe intellectually.

If they had access to the same calibre of legal advice that Huw Edwards had I suspect quite a few of those languishing in prison for social media posts would be out on bail at present and expecting a lighter sentence as well.

If their is a two tier legal system it is not biased against 'patriots', speakers of 'common sense' or those with right wing views. It is biased against those who cannot afford top notch legal representation.

In any case the time to complain about disproportionate sentencing is not after you have been pinched and convicted.
Any half decent legal representation would've have advised 'no comment' interview. Then preceded to drag the case out fir the next two or three years at which point the CPS would've had enough and drop the case!

I feel a lot of people are upset because Huw Edwards in not in prison enduring daily beatings.

Agreed. The thought of a pedophile not being beaten to within an inch of his life on a daily basis, is very disappointing and upsetting.

It is not the role of violent prisoners to dispense justice in the form of bullying. Loss of liberty is the punishment and although Hugh Edwards is not in jail he is not a free man.

Quite.

I highly doubt he’ll be able to pop to his local shops anymore… and rightly so.

If he decides to stay in the UK, he’ll be risking some good ol’ fashioned street justice at some point.

A mean Facebook post is commenting about someone’s choice of bridesmaids dresses.

Those that were jailed went well beyond that.

A 67-year-old got 20 months for chanting "you're not English anymore" at police officers. You think that's worse than looking a pictures of child sexual abuse?

This is precisely the two-tier justice that people are protesting about.

A 67-year-old got 20 months for chanting "you're not English anymore" at police officers. You think that's worse than looking a pictures of child sexual abuse?

This is precisely the two-tier justice that people are protesting about.
He took part in a riot and his behaviour was threatening. He also made other offensive remarks abiut the police and used Islamophobic language. Deserved what he got.

The Huw Edwards sentencing is absolutely disgraceful. 7 instances of category A (the most serious, involving penetration) on his phone, and he gets a suspended sentence. Utterly deplorable.

There's a lot of speculation of Twitter/X that this may have been a pay off for some disclosure involving other high profile names, one of which I heard rumoured not long after Savile died. Still doesn't make it right, but we shall see what comes out in the next few months, I guess.

The Huw Edwards sentencing is absolutely disgraceful. 7 instances of category A (the most serious, involving penetration) on his phone, and he gets a suspended sentence. Utterly deplorable.

There's a lot of speculation of Twitter/X that this may have been a pay off for some disclosure involving other high profile names, one of which I heard rumoured not long after Savile died. Still doesn't make it right, but we shall see what comes out in the next few months, I guess.

I listened a barrister explain why Edward’s received the sentence he did and it made sense. The fact that you or anyone else don't think it was severe enough is irrelevant.

Last edited:

The actual legal experts I’ve seen express an opinion say the sentence is very much in line with what would be expected for such offences.

There is additionally an awful lot of uniformed speculation from people with no particular expertise to offer (other than perhaps their own convictions). Be particularly wary of those with paid for blue ticks - they can get paid by twitter for going viral which can be done by creating controversy.

He has effectively a life sentence, he's not going to able to go anywhere without people recognising him and with what he's done. I would imagine he will leave the country and set up somewhere else.

Went to Southend Hospital Audiology/Hearing - I have premature hearing loss, probably going to need a hearing aid :-/
The Audiology dept, up on the mezzanine, has a good reputation and is usually very good. However NHS hearing aids can be a bit "hit and miss", especially those that require tiny batteries. My M in L has been much happier with a privately purchased set which are recharged via USB.

Back