• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drax is already a con as those biomass pellets supposedly count as green (and therefore attract subsidies) even though they produce carbon dioxide when burnt and require trees to be chopped down which is supposed to be the opposite of what we’re trying to achieve.

So many legal cons/scams and robbing of the public purse going on, it's incredible. And they get away with it. There's a few things leaking out of those in high places having a conflict of interest, in awarding contracts etc.

Drax is already a con as those biomass pellets supposedly count as green (and therefore attract subsidies) even though they produce carbon dioxide when burnt and require trees to be chopped down which is supposed to be the opposite of what we’re trying to achieve.
The theory is you can plant new trees that consume the carbon as they grow. The problem with that is it probably takes 20, 30 years. Probably still better than coal/oil though

So it's leaked out that Just Stop Oil are planning to target Premiership games in the next few months. They apparently will try and get the games held up one way or another, inside and outside the stadiums. The main action will be to stop traffic on the major roads to the grounds.
This will not end well. If fans have paid fortunes for tickets, and could lose good money or miss a lot of a game they obviously are looking forward to seeing, things will get very nasty. Middle aged, white middle class, non aggressive people, are no match for angry football fans. It's bonkers, and targeting and disrupting the wrong people. If they went outside that foreign embassy of the country that leaves a massive carbon footprint each week, over 28% of the whole World, we'd probably all be onboard and join them. Britain's carbon footprint is minuscule in comparison.

So it's leaked out that Just Stop Oil are planning to target Premiership games in the next few months. They apparently will try and get the games held up one way or another, inside and outside the stadiums. The main action will be to stop traffic on the major roads to the grounds.
This will not end well. If fans have paid fortunes for tickets, and could lose good money or miss a lot of a game they obviously are looking forward to seeing, things will get very nasty. Middle aged, white middle class, non aggressive people, are no match for angry football fans. It's bonkers, and targeting and disrupting the wrong people. If they went outside that foreign embassy of the country that leaves a massive carbon footprint each week, over 28% of the whole World, we'd probably all be onboard and join them. Britain's carbon footprint is minuscule in comparison.
Of course the UK's carbon footprint per capita is far from miniscule and it is firmly in the top twenty among nations, so it is a serious issue and not someone else's problem. Quite obviously countries with vast populations like China, USA, India and Russia will have massive gross figures way in excess of a relatively small nation like the UK but this should not deflect from the fact that all the industrialised nations need to reduce their carbon footprint, not wilfully take measures to increase it as recent announcements will surely do in the case of the UK.

The theory is you can plant new trees that consume the carbon as they grow. The problem with that is it probably takes 20, 30 years. Probably still better than coal/oil though
You're probably right, but if you take longer term view, after about your 20-30 years there will be a cycle that is completely carbon neutral as you'd have planted trees every year for that long so you'll be ******* in as much carbon as you're burning.

Of course the UK's carbon footprint per capita is far from miniscule and it is firmly in the top twenty among nations, so it is a serious issue and not someone else's problem. Quite obviously countries with vast populations like China, USA, India and Russia will have massive gross figures way in excess of a relatively small nation like the UK but this should not deflect from the fact that all the industrialised nations need to reduce their carbon footprint, not wilfully take measures to increase it as recent announcements will surely do in the case of the UK.
Britain's current rate is under 1%. China reducing their 28% by 5% would do far better than us and other small Countries reducing theirs to zero. Britain is doing it's bit and has reduced a fair bit, but people give China a pass. In places like Beijing, and many other Asian Cities, they wear pollution masks. It just seems to me that the wrong Country's are being targeted to reduce pollution and the carbon footprint.

Britain's current rate is under 1%. China reducing their 28% by 5% would do far better than us and other small Countries reducing theirs to zero. Britain is doing it's bit and has reduced a fair bit, but people give China a pass. In places like Beijing, and many other Asian Cities, they wear pollution masks. It just seems to me that the wrong Country's are being targeted to reduce pollution and the carbon footprint.
Sticking to facts the countries with the highest per capita emissions in metric tons CO2 are the USA and Saudi Arabia, both.17.6. Canada and Australia are third and fourth. UK is 10th on 8.1. China is 15th on 6.4. below most EU countries. Source World Bank.

Per capita, Lol. China is 28% of the whole World. That's the figure that really counts. UK is less than 1%. Anyway b.e. I'm stopping now as we're getting into politics. So even if you say something in reply, I won't respond.

Britain is doing it's bit and has reduced a fair bit, but people give China a pass.
That's because a lot of the stuff sold in the UK says "Made in China", if we held China to account properly then we'd have to ask ourselves why we are allowing imports from China knowing that the production won't be very green. I think China is anticipating that question being raised in the long run though because they made over $500 billion of green investments last year.

Last edited:
Time wasters on Facebook marketplace.

I’m downsizing to a smaller house & attempting to sell the majority of the furniture.

Over half a dozen messages committing to be here by so-&-so o’clock to collect various items then not showing up & ignoring subsequent messages.

One joker turned up then offered half the advertised value for virtually new patio furniture!

Many lost hours this weekend that could have been put to better use🙁

Time wasters on Facebook marketplace.

I’m downsizing to a smaller house & attempting to sell the majority of the furniture.

Over half a dozen messages committing to be here by so-&-so o’clock to collect various items then not showing up & ignoring subsequent messages.

One joker turned up then offered half the advertised value for virtually new patio furniture!

Many lost hours this weekend that could have been put to better use🙁
I have given stuff away on Facebook marketplace and have had people asking if I can deliver to East London.

I have given stuff away on Facebook marketplace and have had people asking if I can deliver to East London.
I get that on eBay a lot too. I advertised a couple of Thule bike racks and had this in the description: "Because of the awkward size and shape I am listing these as collection only". One guy sent me a separate message asking if I could deliver to...I ignored him. The people that were actually clever enough to read and bid are coming tomorrow night to collect.

What does annoy me is that I was also selling a Thule roof rack which another person won, but he hasn't even paid yet. I kind of expected it as he has bid on the bike racks as well, and when he didn't win them he obviously wasn't in need of the roof rack. However, someone outbid him on the roof rack so he put in another bid, which makes no sense.

Whilst I'm on the subject I hate it when people ask you what your best offer is. I've listed things at my best offer. What do you expect me to do, reduce the price without you even making an offer? What a waste of space these people are.

Not hacking me off yet, but............we are emulsioning, painting and wallpapering the dining room today. It could be fraught, it sometimes is!

Not hacking me off yet, but............we are emulsioning, painting and wallpapering the dining room today. It could be fraught, it sometimes is!
Tomorrow we have people turning up to swap the study (where I'm currently sitting) with my eldest son's bedroom as his room is tiny. We're literally swapping the wardrobes in both rooms so at the moment our house is a tip as the contents of both rooms have been removed and spread around the house.

My job later today is to take both my computers and set them up downstairs for the rest of the week.

Once that is all done, we have a decorator coming in to finish off. I'm dreading the whole thing.

• Haha
Reactions: RHB
Tomorrow we have people turning up to swap the study (where I'm currently sitting) with my eldest son's bedroom as his room is tiny. We're literally swapping the wardrobes in both rooms so at the moment our house is a tip as the contents of both rooms have been removed and spread around the house.

My job later today is to take both my computers and set them up downstairs for the rest of the week.

Once that is all done, we have a decorator coming in to finish off. I'm dreading the whole thing.
We've only been going an hour and we've already had a growl at each other.

Fancy coming to do my hallway, stairs and landing.

If someone can tell me how to paint behind newly installed spindles where there is a gap of about 2" between it and the wall i'm all ears. Can't do it with a paintbrush and whilst probably couldn't see it looking at it head on, looking up the stairs I can see it, and because I can see its not been painted it will continue to eat away at me reducing any glow that I might have had for actually making the rest look nice.

Back