• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TfL want to suspend London day travelcards, which will likely make travelling into the Zones 1-6 far more expensive. Absolute joke
And replace them with what? Just a London return then touch and go on the tubes? I try and avoid the tubes anyway to be fair and luckily our London office is walking distance from Fenchurch St. Seems odd though!

And replace them with what? Just a London return then touch and go on the tubes? I try and avoid the tubes anyway to be fair and luckily our London office is walking distance from Fenchurch St. Seems odd though!
Replace with oyster I think. Which is crazy for non Londoners as they won’t have them.

Replace with oyster I think. Which is crazy for non Londoners as they won’t have them.
Think if you use contactless, Apple Pay or whatever, you still get the discount and it’s equivalent to Oyster. I assume through tickets via London will still be ok .. maybe not ..

And replace them with what? Just a London return then touch and go on the tubes? I try and avoid the tubes anyway to be fair and luckily our London office is walking distance
Think if you use contactless, Apple Pay or whatever, you still get the discount and it’s equivalent to Oyster. I assume through tickets via London will still be ok .. maybe not ..

Not sure. You can still buy a specific paper ticket I,e, Southend to South Kensington but can’t buy a paper travel card for whole of the zones

No idea what people without contactless will do in London, suppose just stick to the area their paper ticket is for

No idea what people without contactless will do in London
If you've got a bank then there's no reason not to have contactless, I ended up getting a contactless card a few years ago by default just because my old debit card expired, I didn't even have to ask. If you've got the three curved lines on your card then you have contactless, if you don't then any branch should be able to give you one. If for some reason you can't get contactless then just get an Oyster card, it's not like there's a subscription fee.

If you've got a bank then there's no reason not to have contactless, I ended up getting a contactless card a few years ago by default just because my old debit card expired, I didn't even have to ask. If you've got the three curved lines on your card then you have contactless, if you don't then any branch should be able to give you one. If for some reason you can't get contactless then just get an Oyster card, it's not like there's a subscription fee.
I get that. But some elderly people don’t like this idea.

And contactless or not it’s now more expensive to visit the capital thanks to withdrawal of travel cards. I.e. for those who want to move around London not just visit a particular area

And contactless or not it’s now more expensive to visit the capital thanks to withdrawal of travel cards. I.e. for those who want to move around London not just visit a particular area
Contactless incorporates travelcards. If you use a contactless card then payments on a day are capped at the same price as a travelcard (in fact I think it's slightly lower), if you exceed that cap then journeys are free in London for the rest of the day.

I think those elderly people that don't like the idea of contact less cards probably haven't travelled on the underground since they replaced the trains with electric ones in 1907.

I travelled into London from Stanford-le-Hope on Friday for £8. I think that's a decent price

I think those elderly people that don't like the idea of contact less cards probably haven't travelled on the underground since they replaced the trains with electric ones in 1907.

I travelled into London from Stanford-le-Hope on Friday for £8. I think that's a decent price
Haha I do understand but it is confusing and overwhelming to some.

Same as ticket office closures.

But this is all much less of an issue than ulez I believe which is an utter mess for many many people.

What’s your view on ticket office closures?

The labour leader back then was Kyle Steamer.

Haha I do understand but it is confusing and overwhelming to some.

Same as ticket office closures.

But this is all much less of an issue than ulez I believe which is an utter mess for many many people.

What’s your view on ticket office closures?
I'm more than happy if they close the ticket offices. As long as the staff are then near the self service machines should anyone need assistance. Train companies also should make it easier to locate the cheapest fare as well.

As an aside my wife tried to purchase a bottle of water from the vending machine at Fenchurch Street on the platform.(£2.20 for water!!) It did not vend, but took the money via the contactless option. My wife asked the c2c staff for assistance and they honestly could not be bothered. I then asked them why they did not put a sign up or turned it off at the plug as the saud tgst machine was known to be faulty. It's not our machine so we can't touch it was their response. I then said it was your station so they could turn it off at the plug as they knew that machine was faulty. "We aren't allowed to touch the switches, it's not our duty" I clarified with them that they are unable to touch the switches and they confirmed. I then turned the switch off and told them that it would be kept off as it was clearly not in their job description to turn a switch on or off. I'm sure if it was put in their job description their union would be involved and a strike would ensue.

6 c2c staff (not including the ones in the ticket office) and not one of them wanted to assist or inform my wife how to go about obtaining some refund. When I asked for the main persons name whom my wife had been speaking to the others were unwilling to divulge that information. It's not that they didn't know their colleagues name. It was that "If I had a complaint to make, I had to obtain the name of the person from them directly" and they weren't going to give me the name.

When asked for his name (no name badge worn) he used the excuse that I couldn't talk to him as the train was waiting to depart and he was not to be distracted whilst completing this role. I therefore took his picture and got onto the train, waiting for it to depart 5 minutes later when it was scheduled to.

I had no issues on the train, and in my eyes you only really need the drivers, and a couple of friendly, approachable station staff to assist with tickets, barriers etc and that's it. The rest of the unhelpful, rude and arrogant staff should be let go.

As for ULEZ don't get me started on that. To political for this site

We're members of the Leigh U3A. (University of the Third Age) aka old ****s association. On our last coach trip to Suffolk the smart phones were going ten to the dozen. It's a bit of a myth that old people are not up to speed with modern technology. In fact by and large they love it.

I have been helping older people(Usually over 75) for years when able. They are from a different age. Most don't have a smart phone and computer. Some don't have a debit card. Those that did don't understand contactless. They all prefer to use cash. Yes there are some that can use this sort of technology, and can understand it. But from my experience, about 80% are having all sorts of problems at train stations, and car parking machines, etc. They need help in purchasing their ticket.

TfL want to suspend London day travelcards, which will likely make travelling into the Zones 1-6 far more expensive. Absolute joke
Whilst I’m in favour of cheaper public transport, the travel cards are an anomaly as they make it cheaper for those outside London travelling in than those in London doing the same journeys in reverse.
I have been helping older people(Usually over 75) for years when able. They are from a different age. Most don't have a smart phone and computer. Some don't have a debit card. Those that did don't understand contactless. They all prefer to use cash. Yes there are some that can use this sort of technology, and can understand it. But from my experience, about 80% are having all sorts of problems at train stations, and car parking machines, etc. They need help in purchasing their ticket.

Thank you for helping Cricko 🫡

Back