• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
certainly not a UKIP fan but to get only 1 seat when they got such a large proportion of the vote can't be democracy

The system does need looking at, but I'd have a little more sympathy for UKIP if they'd been stating that case before the election.

The system does need looking at, but I'd have a little more sympathy for UKIP if they'd been stating that case before the election.
How many of those voting Ukip and bemoaning the first past the post system, voted no, or didn't vote at,all in the AV referendum 4 years ago.
Might seem a little less pointless in hindsight

they can't all be tory voters defecting to UKIP so what has happened to the labour vote?
didn't they win the seat a while back?

This, to me is the most intriguing element post election. Scotland I can understand, DUP and Plaid Cymru I can understand. On the face of it the defection to UKIP was not from the centre right but from the centre and left of centre. I'm sure that is over-simplifying election results but there can be no denying a trend. I did see swings towards UKIP in Tory strongholds. Anyone care to provide insights ?

How many of those voting Ukip and bemoaning the first past the post system, voted no, or didn't vote at,all in the AV referendum 4 years ago.
Might seem a little less pointless in hindsight

Precisely. Around 25m eligible voters didn't bother with that one.

This, to me is the most intriguing element post election. Scotland I can understand, DUP and Plaid Cymru I can understand. On the face of it the defection to UKIP was not from the centre right but from the centre and left of centre. I'm sure that is over-simplifying election results but there can be no denying a trend. I did see swings towards UKIP in Tory strongholds. Anyone care to provide insights ?

Three reasons Labour lost the election rather than Conservatives winning. Miliband, Krankie and UKIP.

By ignoring the people they are supposed to represent. The working and I do mean working class people north and south of the border have longed for an alternative option. As anyone can see all the left wing uni, I'm the moral guardian types who post on hear, smugly thought UKIP were only taking Tory votes.

With Boris as the obvious next Tory leader we can all look forward to at least 10 if not 15 years of the Bullingdon boys

Three reasons Labour lost the election rather than Conservatives winning. Miliband, Krankie and UKIP.

By ignoring the people they are supposed to represent. The working and I do mean working class people north and south of the border have longed for an alternative option. As anyone can see all the left wing uni, I'm the moral guardian types who post on hear, smugly thought UKIP were only taking Tory votes.

With Boris as the obvious next Tory leader we can all look forward to at least 10 if not 15 years of the Bullingdon boys

Although, it's certainly true that UKIP finished second in a lot of safe Labour seats, they didn't seriously threaten to gain a seat from Labour anywhere in the country.

Indeed the only seat UKIP won, in Clacton,is of course an ex-Tory seat and with a majority of now less than 5,000, (some 3,300 IIRC), is a marginal that the Tories will probably win back at some time in the future.

The phenomenon of the working-class Tory (about 1:3 WC voters has,of course long been documented in political studies.

While it is true that UKIP have gained support from some white working class former Labour supporters recent evidence makes it clear that this is not in the same proportion as support from former Tory voters.Nor, incidentally,do UKIP tend to poll well with younger people.

(PS Who/what is Krankie)?

Although, it's certainly true that UKIP finished second in a lot of safe Labour seats, they didn't seriously threaten to gain a seat from Labour anywhere in the country.

Indeed the only seat UKIP won, in Clacton,is of course an ex-Tory seat and with a majority of now less than 5,000, (some 3,300 IIRC), is a marginal that the Tories will probably win back at some time in the future.

The phenomenon of the working-class Tory (about 1:3 WC voters has,of course long been documented in political studies.

While it is true that UKIP have gained support from some white working class former Labour supporters recent evidence makes it clear that this is not in the same proportion as support from former Tory voters.Nor, incidentally,do UKIP tend to poll well with younger people.

Strangely enough a fair number of UKIP voters this time around did come from the under 30's and many from Labour as well. Even in the marginal seats where UKIP were strong and Labour were hoping to win, the swing was still towards the Tories.

Strangely enough a fair number of UKIP voters this time around did come from the under 30's and many from Labour as well. Even in the marginal seats where UKIP were strong and Labour were hoping to win, the swing was still towards the Tories.

Got a link to justify this?

I assumed that Krankie is being used to describe Nicola Sturgeon , possibily derogatory, possibly because the poster cant remember/be bothered to look up , her name

Thanks for the link but only one bit of the article backs up your assertion that:-

"a fair number of UKIP voters this time around did come from the under 30's and many from Labour as well."

"But I saw another shift in this election and I saw UKIP, the party apparently for the retired old colonels, suddenly the party for people under 30, particularly young working women."

That is, of course,a direct quote from NF and hardly qualifies as evidence-based research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back