• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
Barnet have signed another midfielder - Harry Chapman. Decent signing for them. Must move Zak Brunt down the pecking order

On reflection I guess we got Walker via L1 Burton and having been on loan at Gills and wages worked there? So who knows? Just sense he has been around the higher divisions just a little too long to be affordable but I could easily be wrong.
I agree. Been at QPR, Ipswich and Charlton. Scored goals in the championship too. I'm sure he's been on big wages. Much like Tshimanga, I can't see a FL side not taking a punt on him.

Connor Wilkinson definitely fits the mould we are looking for was very good at orient and daggers
Yes he would be interesting. We must be very aware of his situation- depends I guess on if Col U somehow hope for a fee and wages of course (would a loan with a view to a permanent be possible).

Thing is we quite possibly could have a number of irons in the fire and some tough decisions as a result

We certainly ainā€™t rushing it mate the season starts tomorrow
And we have our established first XI plus a pretty full bench which puts us in a far better position than in recent seasons! Note that many of the players we've brought in haven't managed to dislodge those that were there already, and if we're going to improve we need signings that will. We need to add players that will make us better, not mere numbers. If those players aren't available currently, we should stick as we are.

The two names that I could think of regards to the striker CP mentioned were Courtney Duffus or Macauley Bonne. Both released from League 2 sides. It could well be neither.

The two names that I could think of regards to the striker CP mentioned were Courtney Duffus or Macauley Bonne. Both released from League 2 sides. It could well be neither.
Duffus would be a huge risk imho. 18 games last season - no goals.

Only one appearance in 22/23 (and that was coming on as a sub in the 90th minute!) - no goals

9 appearances in 21/22 - no goals

29 appearances in 20/21 - 9 goals

So he hasn't scored a goal since 6th March 2021 for Bromley v Eastleigh.

Sounds like his career has gone right off the rails, culminating in being released by Barrow at the end of last season, not sure he strikes me as a John Still signing. Not signed for anyone yet, so I guess he's a possibility but feels like he'd be the opposite of a wow signing!

Yes he would be interesting. We must be very aware of his situation- depends I guess on if Col U somehow hope for a fee and wages of course (would a loan with a view to a permanent be possible).

Thing is we quite possibly could have a number of irons in the fire and some tough decisions as a result
He has been given a shirt/squad number today but I don't think that changes the fact we are trying to move him on. Here is what Danny said in the local rag about Conor the other day.

Danny Cowley provides Conor Wilkinson update after striker's pre-season absence.​

Colchester United boss Danny Cowley on Conor Wilkinson​

Ultra-talented - Conor Wilkinson looks set to leave Colchester United after finding his opportunities limited at the League Two club

CONOR Wilkinson is edging closer to a Colchester United exit.

The 29-year-old forward has not featured in pre-season for the Uā€™s and looks like he is heading out of the JobServe Community Stadium.

Wilkinson has managed only eight substitute appearances since joining Colchester on an 18-month deal from Scottish Premiership side Motherwell, last January.

And boss Danny Cowley admits they are trying to find a good solution for all parties, with Wilkinson seemingly heading for pastures new.

Cowley said: ā€œWe have some really good players at this football club, Conor being one of them.

ā€œHeā€™s an ultra-talented boy and heā€™s got some outstanding quality.

ā€œWherever heā€™s gone, heā€™s been able to score goals.

ā€œSometimes, itā€™s just not quite the right fit and thatā€™s football.

ā€œSometimes, the profile and the attributes a player has donā€™t quite fit the game idea.

ā€œThis is never personal; this is just how it is.

ā€œFor us, when that is the case itā€™s always to try to be honest and try to give the player clarity.

ā€œWe need to find a good solution for all parties and weā€™re working towards that.

ā€œWeā€™re pretty close to doing that and thatā€™s great, because Conorā€™s a really good kid.

ā€œHe loves football and he really wants to be successful.

ā€œWe never want to stand in peopleā€™s way and the worst part of my job is having to stand in the way of players that love the game and want to play but of course, in modern-day football most clubs hold squads of 20-22 and sometimes, this means you help them all Monday to Friday but have to get in their way on a weekend.

ā€œThis is just football, I suppose.ā€

Wilkinson started his career at Millwall before joining Championship side Bolton Wanderers.

After four years with Bolton, he had spells at Gillingham, Leyton Orient and Walsall before joining Motherwell in the summer of 2023.

Wilkinson made 19 league and cup appearances for Motherwell before joining Colchester, in January.

And we have our established first XI plus a pretty full bench which puts us in a far better position than in recent seasons! Note that many of the players we've brought in haven't managed to dislodge those that were there already, and if we're going to improve we need signings that will. We need to add players that will make us better, not mere numbers. If those players aren't available currently, we should stick as we are.

Walker, Gubbings and Pedder will get plenty of starts. Wind is good local prospect and will get good bench time and if certain players are injured or need rest he will also get starts.

They have all improved our squad and to suggest they are just numbers is nonsense.

Walker, Gubbings and Pedder will get plenty of starts. Wind is good local prospect and will get good bench time and if certain players are injured or need rest he will also get starts.

They have all improved our squad and to suggest they are just numbers is nonsense.
I read @rib999 as meaning just that; getting it wrong on a rushed gamble is not the way of the Amigos and JS.

Back