• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook 👨‍🍳

Transfer news
But other teams who are signing players are not/have not gone through what COSU are having to go through. They aren't just sorting transfers right now. They are trying to sort the entire club out as they go along. If they took over our club and we'd been in FF with no debt and a stadium/ training ground fit for purpose, then fair enough, we could gripe about the lack of signings. The fact is, they are trying to sort everything out and I'm sure that goes beyond what is in the public eye.

I'm not saying I'm not frustrated by the need for more players, as I've stated that on several occasions. I'm just asking for some patience as there is so much to consider. The narrative that Maher or COSU don't want to sign players just simply isn't true. As you said, both of those want us to get promoted, but we can't do that overnight.
The fact any of this needs saying (or typing) is astonishing.

i love Dalby but i wonder a bit where he'd fit in our current line up, he's not going to help with the lack of pace and i'm not sure he could play the Cardwell role (while he's a good hold up player, he was always a lot better with balls to feet than in the air and won't be able to press with the same intensity).

Probably a moot point anyway as we couldn't afford him unless Wrexham feeling generous.
I think Dalby's game has changed a lot since he's left us. He is still only 23 too! In the games I've seen him play for Wrexham, his strength and hold-up play has improved massively. You add that to his brilliant vision, that's a great player at this level.

I also think Cardwell's game has evolved too. Whilst he is a fantastic hold-up player, he can be deadly if he stays in the box. Dalby would allow him to do that. Dalby is that perfect link-up player between the midfield and strike force.

I do think that Dalby is way beyond this level though and can easily get a league 2 club at the very least.

I think Dalby's game has changed a lot since he's left us. He is still only 23 too! In the games I've seen him play for Wrexham, his strength and hold-up play has improved massively. You add that to his brilliant vision, that's a great player at this level.

I also think Cardwell's game has evolved too. Whilst he is a fantastic hold-up player, he can be deadly if he stays in the box. Dalby would allow him to do that. Dalby is that perfect link-up player between the midfield and strike force.

I do think that Dalby is way beyond this level though and can easily get a league 2 club at the very least.
I’d love Sam Dalby, you’re absolutely right he would be the perfect link up player and he’s always fit it appears which is a huge plus.

Sam Dalby has only scored 7 goals in 67 appearances for Wrexham. Good hold up player but we need people who are on the scoresheet more regular.
And of those 67 appearances how many were the full 90 minutes.

He managed 1,693 minutes of football across the 23/24 season. League 2 matches he was in the squad 35 times. Of those 14 were in the starting 11, 17 appearances from the bench and 4 where bench appearances where no introduction

Anyhow, Sam Dalby. Not a chance. I'd expect to see him at a league 2 club possibly even lower league 1 if Wrexham see him surplus to requirements.

Sam Dalby has only scored 7 goals in 67 appearances for Wrexham. Good hold up player but we need people who are on the scoresheet more regular.
Skewed by an incredible 50 of the appearances being as substitute. Started just 14 games in L2.

He’s probably a 12-15 a season type player at our level but his record on assists I think is particularly good?

Skewed by an incredible 50 of the appearances being as substitute. Started just 14 games in L2.

He’s probably a 12-15 a season type player at our level but his record on assists I think is particularly good?
That's exactly it. He had Mullin and Palmer ahead of him. In the games he started, he did well for them. I honestly think his class on the ball would bring out the best in Cardwell. It's all hypothetical as I really can't see why he'd drop down to the NL. I don't think we could afford it either. I'm sure he'll get a league 2 club. Like I said, he's still only 23, so can still improve massively. I hate to say it, but if I were Col U and I were looking for a long term replacement for Hopper, I'd go for him.

The fact we are talking about Sam Dalby suggests to me that the leaks have been plugged and that any genuine signings are being kept well under wraps!

Personally I think we are still 4-5 players away from a strong squad. And whilst I accept certain positions need additional bodies (striker and AM being clearly obvious) I would not have any issues with players coming in in any other position where we can get stronger players than we currently have. I think we would be mad (nor do I think we would be) if we ignored any players who improve our team just because we have an incumbent in that position.

But other teams who are signing players are not going through what COSU are having to go through. They aren't just sorting transfers right now. They are trying to sort the entire club out as they go along. If they took over our club and we'd been in FF with no debt and a stadium/ training ground fit for purpose, then fair enough, we could gripe about the lack of signings. The fact is, they are trying to sort everything out and I'm sure that goes beyond what is in the public eye.

I'm not saying I'm not frustrated by the need for more players, as I've stated that on several occasions. I'm just asking for some patience as there is so much to consider. The narrative that Maher or COSU don't want to sign players just simply isn't true. As you said, both of those want us to get promoted, but we can't do that overnight.

Again I here what you are saying. Not disputing but you acting as though other clubs don't have there own problems.

Gateshead are a great example.

Crowds of just 900 and play in an athletics track of a stadium.

How do they manage to churn our regular teams who play great football and score goals for fun.

It can be done on a tight budget.

Again I here what you are saying. Not disputing but you acting as though other clubs don't have there own problems.

How do they manage to churn our regular teams who play great football and score goals for fun.

They reside in a considerably cheaper area of the country. I'd imagine little or no stadium maintenance. Probably few employees - do they break even??

We miss Powell.

Unpopular opinion but players like him that will run at defenders (regardless of whether they score or not) they get the opposition to step backwards and create space
We miss his role as it's not been replaced yet (or is injured if Walker is the replacement). Not the actual player himself. Same with Fonguck and anybody else who we have looked to upgrade on this summer.

Who says they are on a tight budget? I don't know their figures but they have sold plenty of players for big profit. When was the last time we did that? Even if we did, that profit wasn't reinvested into the club. I think they rent their stadium too. They won't be making money on it but they won't be losing money on it either, not like us. Ron lied about a lot but I'm sure COSU will confirm, that getting the safety certificate for our stadium is a hugely costly experience. We are losing money continuously and will do until the necessary upgrades happen. Other clubs are not dealing with that.

On the note of attacking football, we've played lots of attacking, 'attractive' football under Maher. It just can't be consistent when he's had to deal with all of the circumstances, which are still in place now. Over time, those circumstances will get better and the football will follow.

We miss his role as it's not been replaced yet (or is injured if Walker is the replacement). Not the actual player himself. Same with Fonguck and anybody else who we have looked to upgrade on this summer.
Not being unkind to a player who gave his all for us, but Callum really was only nuisance value. He unfortunately missed most of last season through injury and hasn't yet nailed down a starting place at Braintree. Same with Wes, he hasn't established himself as yet at Ebbsfleet. The decisions to let both go doesn't seem a bad one. They were offered contracts but chose not to accept what was on offer.

Not being unkind to a player who gave his all for us, but Callum really was only nuisance value. He unfortunately missed most of last season through injury and hasn't yet nailed down a starting place at Braintree. Same with Wes, he hasn't established himself as yet at Ebbsfleet. The decisions to let both go doesn't seem a bad one. They were offered contracts but chose not to accept what was on offer.
I think right now Wes is a bigger loss, he had attacking intent and his link up play with Bridge / Cav was a big part of how we played.

That will change though as Moncur can provide that attacking intent in central areas, Bridge might suffer a bit as a result though

I would suggest EFL clubs not wanting/bidding for our players would not necessarily be a good sign… more we would ideally have contractual security with players to ensure we get value (we have), have financially stability to allow us to use that value to reinvest, and a dynamic whiteboard in place, reflecting a top notch scouting/ talent identification, that allows those replacements to strengthen not weaken us.

If we wanted to sell to the EFL but buy from the Isthmian league I would not anticipate a footballing success story to rapidly follow.
I agree with you, especially your last point. If we want to progress quickly surely we have to source experienced players as this division gets tougher by the season.

We miss Powell.

Unpopular opinion but players like him that will run at defenders (regardless of whether they score or not) they get the opposition to step backwards and create space
This is where I dont get the "we are much stronger than last year." I disagree - the loss of both Powell and Fonguck means we've lost that ability to carry the ball from midfield through the lines. Hopefully Moncur can do a bit of that now.

Back