• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s a scout report I’ve written looking at goalkeeper Chris Haigh - someone who I’ve identified as a potential option for us:

Good piece though Chris Haigh is not a keeper we should consider (in my opinion). Thought when we played Oxford his shot stopping was very good but overall his command of the area was not good enough. We will have much better options including David Martin who is already in situ.

Interesting report - plenty of stats on Chris Haigh. But I'm not sure on the conclusion that he should be high up as a target. Are there other better keepers out there? Where's the comparison and ranking against other keepers - overall not the percentile per attribute.

Good piece though Chris Haigh is not a keeper we should consider (in my opinion). Thought when we played Oxford his shot stopping was very good but overall his command of the area was not good enough. We will have much better options including David Martin who is already in situ.
That’s a fair point. I think due to his height he isn’t the most commanding of goalkeepers from crosses (which I mentioned in my report) compared to Steve Arnold as an example. It just depends what type of ‘keeper we want. He still looks good at shot-stopping, and his distribution seems to be an upgrade on what we’ve got. It’s very difficult to find a goalkeeper who excels at everything!

Interesting report - plenty of stats on Chris Haigh. But I'm not sure on the conclusion that he should be high up as a target. Are there other better keepers out there? Where's the comparison and ranking against other keepers - overall not the percentile per attribute.
Hi! I use percentile ranks to compare to other players as different teams will require different attributes from their goalkeepers. Obviously their main job is to prevent goals, but some sides will want a ‘keeper who is good at distribution, whilst others won’t. Some will want them to come off their line more, whilst others will want them to stay rooted to their goal line, etc. This makes it difficult to give a definitive overall ranking compared to other players.

That’s a fair point. I think due to his height he isn’t the most commanding of goalkeepers from crosses (which I mentioned in my report) compared to Steve Arnold as an example. It just depends what type of ‘keeper we want. He still looks good at shot-stopping, and his distribution seems to be an upgrade on what we’ve got. It’s very difficult to find a goalkeeper who excels at everything!

Hi! I use percentile ranks to compare to other players as different teams will require different attributes from their goalkeepers. Obviously their main job is to prevent goals, but some sides will want a ‘keeper who is good at distribution, whilst others won’t. Some will want them to come off their line more, whilst others will want them to stay rooted to their goal line, etc. This makes it difficult to give a definitive overall ranking compared to other players.

Fair enough.

I guess I don't know if for example there is a keeper that is top quartile on everything - which maybe (or may not be) better than having a keeper that is top decile on a few attributes.

Thanks for coming back SS. Always enjoy your reports. As they say it is a game of opinions! Personally I think both Martin and Hayes look better options for the way we play but I am willing to bow down to superior knowledge on that.

Didn’t Chris Haigh train with us or have a trial when he was at Concord? Remember he was in the FA Trophy final v Harrogate a few years ago.

I think it’s more a matter of decision making than height. Collin is a similar height and I don’t panic whenever a cross comes in. Belford was another smaller keeper who was very good at commanding his area.

Haigh looked a liability on crosses. His distribution does look very good though and maybe it was an one-off.

I think it’s more a matter of decision making than height. Collin is a similar height and I don’t panic whenever a cross comes in. Belford was another smaller keeper who was very good at commanding his area.

Haigh looked a liability on crosses. His distribution does look very good though and maybe it was a one-off.
Agree with this @Yorkshire Blue. I mean his height probably makes it more difficult for him to command his area, but it’s not the be-all and end-all. You’d also like to think that at 26-years-old there’s still a bit of room for development with regards to his decision making.

Haigh looked a liability on crosses. His distribution does look very good though and maybe it was an one-off.

Agreed but I'd rather have a keeper like Arnold or Hayes that claim or punch crosses. Even Martin in the last minute of the Chesterfield game proved that when he came right out and claimed a high ball near the edge of the box. Makes the defence play further up the pitch...

Can't wait to see who the Three Amigos (with the Godfather Still overseeing) sign when they have the opportunity!!!

I think it’s more a matter of decision making than height.

Haigh looked a liability on crosses.

The stats in the report show he's top decile on going for an aerial dual but lower quartile on winning them - maybe he shouldn't be coming for as many and backs up your decision making diagnosis?

Thanks for coming back SS. Always enjoy your reports. As they say it is a game of opinions! Personally I think both Martin and Hayes look better options for the way we play but I am willing to bow down to superior knowledge on that.
Thanks @Texas Eslan! Martin and Hayes have both been top class for us this season. Like you say, it’s all about opinions - and there’s no superior knowledge here! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back