• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree with Dackers and from memory his hold up play and heading werent his strong points either. We are class with the ball on the ground playing it around.
I think Aaron Jarvis would be a good fit for our team. He is 25, scored 17 goals in the National League last season in a struggling side and would complement Cardwell.

But it seems unlikely Torquay would let him go on loan and would ask a decent fee for a permanent move.

As I understand it we owe teams transfer money
We do, but I don't think that's a problem. Believe TL sorted out payment plans for them before the season started, which was one of the actions taken to satisfy the NL's insistence that we pay football creditors before they gave us our conditional licence.

I think it's more likely to be the next batch of arrears to HMRC.

The statement was very careful about saying "all petition debt" to HMRC had been paid. I think JR's half of that came out of his own pocket, not his consortium's pot. Couldn't blame him or them for not wanting to pay any more until the deal is finalised.

I would imagine HMRC and the NL have been spoken to, proof shown that a deal will be done by 1st November and therefore the rest of the debt paid just after, and therefore the threat of an immediate follow-up WUP and/or 10-point deduction staved off.

I'm not concerned. JR made a point of saying he'll be sitting down with Kev and John Still to discuss what is needed. No longer will Kev have to say to targets "I'd love to bring you in, I'll offer you this but I don't know when I'll actually be able to sign you." Now he can say "sign with us, the embargo isn't quite off yet but it will be in the first week of November".

The certainty that we were unable to give which resulted in us missing out on targets, can now effectively be given.

Last edited:
We do, but I don't think that's a problem. Believe TL sorted out payment plans for them before the season started, which was one of the actions taken to satisfy the NL's insistence that we pay football creditors before they gave us our conditional licence.

The statement was very careful about saying "all petition debt" to HMRC bad been paid. I think JR's half of that came out of his own pocket, not his consortium's pot. Couldn't blame him or them for not wanting to pay any more until the deal is finalised.

I would imagine HMRC and the NL have been spoken to, proof shown that a deal will be done by 1st November and therefore the rest of the debt paid just after, and therefore the threat of an immediate follow-up WUP and/or 10-point deduction staved off.

I'm not concerned. JR made a point of saying he'll be sitting down with Kev and John Still to discuss what is needed. No longer will Kev have to say to targets "I'd love to bring you in, I'll offer you this but I don't know when I'll actually be able to sign you." Now he can say "sign with us, the embargo isn't quite off yet but it will be in the first week of November".
It must feel nice for Kev to say that last sentence to targets now for example instead of having he’s hand tied saying we’re very interests but can’t do anything’s due to long lasting transfer embargo .

Hopper would be someone who could substitute for or play alongside Cards and make a real difference. Not a prospect but someone who would deliver day one.

One of the benefits of our lack of options up front has been that I honestly think Wood’s future is up front too. Real talent.

Can we under embargo bring Hopper on loan (due to Powell injury) and make permanent Nov?

As far as a rotation option for Cardwell goes, I think Dackers would be an excellent fit.

His hold up play is similarly strong, although it’s not a perfect match as he lacks Cardwell’s pace for us to play over opposition defences for him to run onto (which is particularly useful when sides press us aggressively).

It would also give us the option of going with two target men against the most physical sides. We’d have more tactical flexibility, which we haven’t had the luxury of so far this season.
Thats exactly how i see dackers. Backup for Harry. And yes if we're getting bullied and have to go long ball it gives us that option.

Strengthening the team in places would help, but theres no doubt in my mind we need at least 2 strikers in. And hopefully we get lucky and one finds form.

Where is freddy MkII!

We could do with changing our luck in the loan market. I remember under tilly we had some first class loans like harding, dervitte, robson kanu etc.

Aaron Jarvis from Torquay as a very capable Powell replacement. Aidan Barlow from Eastleigh for left wing cover for Bridgey.

I’d be over the moon with those two

Saw Dackers a few times when he was with us. He wasn’t too bad with his feet for a big man, but I just feel it really encourages the long ball game. We’re one of the best footballing teams in this league when at our best and I don’t want to see us moving away from that.
Another possibility might be Lewis Salmon at Alfreton Town. He is 21 and has scored 6 goals in 10 games this season. He was previously at Notts Forest and I think Stan Collymore was previously keeping tabs on him.

See Danny Rowe has left Chesterfield…not sure on his fitness levels at the moment but worth a non Contract look ?

I am not sure Tom Hopper would be any sort of answer, he hasn't played a full season for some time. Shame really because he was one of Chris Powell's best signing, but also suffered a bad injury early on. Has only played 1 full season since.

I thought Maidenhead's right back was pretty decent - may be worth a look as back up for Gus?

JD has to retire at some point!

The statement was very careful about saying "all petition debt" to HMRC had been paid. I think JR's half of that came out of his own pocket, not his consortium's pot. Couldn't blame him or them for not wanting to pay any more until the deal is finalised.

The certainty that we were unable to give which resulted in us missing out on targets, can now effectively be given.
Call me weird but I can't wait to be sat in the pub talking about a 3rd choice striker and his impact in games. Or who are the best 3 centre backs out of the 5 we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back