• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think that is a bit harsh on Lomas. When he played he didn't let us down. Just a shame he picked up a long term injury.

This.

People are forgetting that when Lopata came back, Lomas had started five games and we kept 3 clean sheets in that time.

There were huge question marks over which one of the back three Lopata would replace. Blues reportedly paid £25k for Lopata and he was one of the highest earners at the club - there was no way he was going to sit on the bench and rightly so, he was one of the best CBs in the NL. But that said, Lomas was very unlucky to have been dropped at the time.

People forget the tweet Lomas put out over the summer to quash the rumours he wanted out (unlike Mooney) where he revealed he was playing through an injury (we had a small squad, in particular in defence following Ralph being out with injury and Lopata jumping ship - no criticism intended, but ironically he was the only one in the team that left) towards the end of the season as we fought to make the playoffs.

To put Lomas in the same boat as Mooney is unfair. He’s been unfortunate with injury this season, but he’s fighting to get fit and is desperate to be involved.

Last edited:
There are other strikers being looked at besides that list, and no I won’t give names.

The only one I’ll comment on that list is Hopper. I’m 99% certain (would say 100% but might bit me on the arse) that nothing will happen with him this week.
Thanks @BoyWonder2 - Hopper was the one I thought might happen as Col Ewe signed a striker with similar attributes to him yesterday, so won't ask how you know it won't happen but I trust your word

All, we all want the deal to get signed and over the line, but that has bugger all to do with the transfer s thread as @Shrimpergonzo has already rightly said.

Please do not add to this thread by continuing that discussion as the posts involved have been moved to the correct thread. Deletions, including the Zone owner's, will undoubtedly follow otherwise. ~Thanks all.

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the striker front - I think we all assumed when Kev said they couldn’t quite get the deal for a striker over the line in time for last Saturday that it would be done early this week, but here we are on Thursday and nobody is through the door yet.

Surely we can’t face Halifax with our only options up front to be Sandat, Vilhete, Kabongolo and Wood?

Any ITKs care to share anything about the likelihood Waldron, Dackers and/or Hopper coming in before Saturday? Or is someone else in the frame now?
It all depends what the issue was holding things up though doesn’t it? For example, if the selling club want a replacement lined up / in place before signing off on the transfer then it might take a few days to unblock an issue like that.

So the million dollar question are we going to have any new signings through the door before Halifax on Saturday. ?
They are certainly trying. Some targets have other clubs interested. So the player and their agent have lots to weigh up before committing to Southend. The Morton deal went through quick and easy as he said as soon as he knew Southend were interested, his mind was almost made up. Then talking to his wife, she fancied moving here. So yes, Southend are trying. Yes, players are coming, with one mentioned defender on the verge. Will signings be done by Saturday? We hope so, especially a striker.

Seen a fair few mentions of Billy Waters. Would be a good 6 month loan imo but presume he’s on a fair wedge at Wrexham so might not be in our salary range. Scored bundles for Halifax under Pete Wild.

Seen a fair few mentions of Billy Waters. Would be a good 6 month loan imo but presume he’s on a fair wedge at Wrexham so might not be in our salary range. Scored bundles for Halifax under Pete Wild.
A lot of the time, for loanees who are on a big salary but not playing you will pay a percentage of his wage rather than all of it.

I don't think they're being played out of position. Like man city play with full backs in a back 3 it allows them to take up full back positions when attacking and move into midfield. I'd be surprised if we ever changed this. I think Morton coming in was a key part of the puzzle to play Miley and him in front of kensdale to protect the CD.

To clarify I’m not saying I think we should move players, I’m saying IF Crowther signs and has been signed to start, then who makes way? I would fully expect him to start life here as a sub but he’s apparently a goal scoring centre half so providing he also does the job defensively then you’d think Kev would want him in the side. It’s an area of the team that could be improved as we aren’t as threatening from set pieces as we could be.

It is a tough call though coz we are solid at the back and the current back 5 work well as a unit.

It's refreshing to actually be talking about players linked after such a long embargo. Obviously it will take a while to shape a promotion chasing squad, especially in January, when lots of clubs are chasing, but Southend is attractive again and the fact we're being considered again by players is positive.

Obviously it's well documented we are chasing strikers as a priority it would seem, whilst looking at cover in other areas.

One thing I would like to know by the ITKs @londonshrimper. @Medway Blue @BoyWonder2, @Tribal Chief, I noticed JD was rewarded with a contract among with Bridge and Ralph, and quite rightly. But what are the plans with him? Is the contract for playing cover till the end of the season then full coaching from next season? Or is he looking to still be included in the squad next season? Surely we are also looking at right back cover for Gus aside JD, who was looking like his playing days were up last season. I know Kyron Gordon has been mentioned, who I saw covering at right back a few times for Boreham last season. Perhaps a squad player, but would still be a decent option. Or is he off the radar for other options including JD?

Last edited:
To clarify I’m not saying I think we should move players, I’m saying IF Crowther signs and has been signed to start, then who makes way? I would fully expect him to start life here as a sub but he’s apparently a goal scoring centre half so providing he also does the job defensively then you’d think Kev would want him in the side. It’s an area of the team that could be improved as we aren’t as threatening from set pieces as we could be.

It is a tough call though coz we are solid at the back and the current back 5 work well as a unit.
I believe Crowther plays on the right-side of a back three, so he would be competing with Taylor and Lomas (when he returns from injury).

It's refreshing to actually be talking about players linked after such a long embargo. Obviously it will take a while to shape a promotion chasing squad, especially in January, when lots of clubs are chasing, but Southend is attractive again and the fact we're being considered again by players is positive.

Obviously it's well documented we are chasing strikers as a priority it would seem, whilst looking at cover in other areas.

One thing I would like to know by the ITKs @londonshrimper. @Medway Blue @BoyWonder2, I noticed JD was rewarded with a contract among with Bridge and Ralph, and quite rightly. But what are the plans with him? Is the contract for playing cover till the end of the season then full coaching from next season? Or is he looking to still be included in the squad next season? Surely we are also looking at right back cover for Gus aside JD, who was looking like his playing days were up last season. I know Kyron Gordon has been mentioned, who I saw covering at right back a few times for Boreham last season. Perhaps a squad player, but would still be a decent option. Or is he off the radar for other options including JD?

I’ve gotta say that I thought JD was outstanding at Woking away when he came into the side. I thought his days were numbered on the playing side but if he’s still putting in performances like that then I’d have no problem with him being 2nd or 3rd choice right back and emergency midfield cover.

He’ll no doubt take that at this stage of his career alongside the coaching too.

I’ve gotta say that I thought JD was outstanding at Woking away when he came into the side. I thought his days were numbered on the playing side but if he’s still putting in performances like that then I’d have no problem with him being 2nd or 3rd choice right back and emergency midfield cover.

He’ll no doubt take that at this stage of his career alongside the coaching too.
Wasn't there so can't comment, but I like JD. He's a master of the defensive dark arts which we do lack, and certainly useful at RB or a defensive Mid if we need to shut up shop and put a defensive block in away from home. But we can't really rely on him to cover Gus in a RWB role as sadly he isn't mobile enough to make the forward runs Gus makes. Would really like to see an addition to compete with him there if we're serious in getting out this division.

One thing I would like to know by the ITKs @londonshrimper. @Medway Blue @BoyWonder2, @Tribal Chief, I noticed JD was rewarded with a contract among with Bridge and Ralph, and quite rightly. But what are the plans with him? Is the contract for playing cover till the end of the season then full coaching from next season? Or is he looking to still be included in the squad next season? Surely we are also looking at right back cover for Gus aside JD, who was looking like his playing days were up last season. I know Kyron Gordon has been mentioned, who I saw covering at right back a few times for Boreham last season. Perhaps a squad player, but would still be a decent option. Or is he off the radar for other options including JD?

The talk previously, and when he signed his deal, was to move into the coaching.

A back up to Gus is required, but I could see JD being kept on as a player for emergencies, but he’ll be part of the coaching set up. Possibly a gaffer of the B side if that ever gets off the ground.

@in the know would be the best to ask…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back