• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loool absolute tosh. Bridge is our most effective player by a mile and he’s done that by playing lwb. What he offers going forward massively outweighs his lack of defensive nous and no way in a million years would I be moving Bridge out of that spot to put Ralph in. We need to sign a very, very good lcb to cover and hopefully someone in cm can cover at times
Agreed, Bridge plays there effectively because he can get space down that side and turn the full back every which way. In the middle he isn’t able to get that space he needs and it’s why he’s less effective in a 10 role

Loool absolute tosh. Bridge is our most effective player by a mile and he’s done that by playing lwb. What he offers going forward massively outweighs his lack of defensive nous and no way in a million years would I be moving Bridge out of that spot to put Ralph in. We need to sign a very, very good lcb to cover and hopefully someone in cm can cover at times
Agree, I also think Ralph has turned into an excellent CB in a 3. Gives us a bit of pace back there and is brilliant in the air. I wouldn't move any of them (look what happened against Bromley when it was swapped around)

Don’t want to go off topic too much, but I wouldn’t be looking to move Bridge away from LWB anytime soon. Sure, he isn’t the strongest 1v1 defender, but what he gives us in-possession far outweighs what he lacks defensively. And by playing at LWB, he’s able to be found on the left touchline (where he’s at his best) far more consistently than when he has occasionally played in a midfield three. If we reverted back to more of a 3-4-3 it would take away some defensive responsibility, but we’d lack another body in the penalty area.

In my opinion, we’re much more dangerous when Bridge holds the width on the left, with Fonguck and (sometimes) Ralph supporting.

Talking of which, and to get back on the subject of transfers, I’d like us to bring in a young option at LCB to act as cover for Ralph. Someone in the mould of Lomas/Crowther who is from the lower leagues.

Ideally you go with the formation that kev originally seemed to favour with three up top, that's the reason Mooney was signed and Powell imo.
Make you right there, pretty sure thats what kevs aiming for. Powell and mooney cutting in and providing pace and guile, picking up the loose balls from the targetman cardwell. Hasnt worked with powell and mooney so they have adapted.
Hmmmm, not sure about this. Maybe as a Plan B, but I think we've settled on a Plan A that can be very effective if we get the right bodies in.

With 343 you can still play our wide CBs + advanced WBs system, but you lose the three in midfield. I think we were very quickly found out when playing a straight 2 in the middle, as lots of teams at this level play with 3 and we were getting overrun.

Not playing 3 in the middle would also mean that we could no longer have both Cav dropping back to the tip of the defensive diamond to kick start our transition from defence to attack and Wes breaking out of the middle and attacking down the left in tandem with Bridge and Ralph, both aspects which have been very effective in our game. Couldn't do both in a 2, imo.

Bridge is great at LWB for me. Can't see him being as effective anywhere else. He's good attacking from deep and having more space ahead of him to run into. People seem to be latching onto him being "poor defensively" off the back of the fact that Barnet's first Boxing Day goal came down his side. Yes, he could have done better, but I can't recall many, if any, other glaring defensive mishaps. Plus that goal in question was equally the responsibility of Ralph, who should be helping as a WCB, and to a lesser extent Fonguck. The 3 of them attack together in a triangle, and should really be doing the same defensively in our setup.

Anyway, I massively digress. I'd still be looking at players who could play as attacking wingers, ala Johnson at Chorley, as I'd like to see a derivative of 343 deployed as an alternative/Plan B, and I don't think we have the personnel to do so at the minute.

Fair comment, I love Bridge, but Ralph does offer something different and his versatility is a big bonus. Bridge has been our main attacking threat under Kev and his goals and assists back that up. With us looking to bring in a number of players hopefully sooner rather than later it will be interesting to see how the team and formation changes if at all but at least Kev and co will have more options if required. Just refreshing to be discussing this rather than a bloody embargo

I can’t say it’s an area we desperately need to reinforce right now either. Surely midfield is the strongest part of the team right now.

Also if Adam Crowther signs and starts - how do we see the pack being shuffled to accommodate him?

Obviously Ralph and Taylor are arguably being played out of position but both have performed admirably IMO.

Ralph moving to wingback could allow us to push Jack Bridge further forward but I think we’d need to tweak the formation to accommodate for that so it’s an interesting dilemma.
I don't think they're being played out of position. Like man city play with full backs in a back 3 it allows them to take up full back positions when attacking and move into midfield. I'd be surprised if we ever changed this. I think Morton coming in was a key part of the puzzle to play Miley and him in front of kensdale to protect the CD.

Make you right there, pretty sure thats what kevs aiming for. Powell and mooney cutting in and providing pace and guile, picking up the loose balls from the targetman cardwell. Hasnt worked with powell and mooney so they have adapted.
That's what he was aiming for and realised it doesn't work

Hmmmm, not sure about this. Maybe as a Plan B, but I think we've settled on a Plan A that can be very effective if we get the right bodies in.

With 343 you can still play our wide CBs + advanced WBs system, but you lose the three in midfield. I think we were very quickly found out when playing a straight 2 in the middle, as lots of teams at this level play with 3 and we were getting overrun.

Not playing 3 in the middle would also mean that we could no longer have both Cav dropping back to the tip of the defensive diamond to kick start our transition from defence to attack and Wes breaking out of the middle and attacking down the left in tandem with Bridge and Ralph, both aspects which have been very effective in our game. Couldn't do both in a 2, imo.

Bridge is great at LWB for me. Can't see him being as effective anywhere else. He's good attacking from deep and having more space ahead of him to run into. People seem to be latching onto him being "poor defensively" off the back of the fact that Barnet's first Boxing Day goal came down his side. Yes, he could have done better, but I can't recall many, if any, other glaring defensive mishaps. Plus that goal in question was equally the responsibility of Ralph, who should be helping as a WCB, and to a lesser extent Fonguck. The 3 of them attack together in a triangle, and should really be doing the same defensively in our setup.

Anyway, I massively digress. I'd still be looking at players who could play as attacking wingers, ala Johnson at Chorley, as I'd like to see a derivative of 343 deployed as an alternative/Plan B, and I don't think we have the personnel to do so at the minute.
Mostly agree.
Interesting to see who we could bring in as a back up to Gus. I'd love to see an attacking player there too
With inverted full backs of Taylor and Ralph - Miley and Morton protecting CD ( remembering there's an in and out of possession phase) having "wing backs" really as wingers is possible
Having a box midfield too of Morton Miley fonguck and coker is also pretty strong. Plus a forward who can play upfront as a lone striker holding the ball up and enabling the more attacking mid to score.

The prospect of signing Adam Crowther sounds like excellent news. Fingers crossed!

I wonder if the Southend management team have any interest in Kyron Gordon who has just left AFC Fylde at the conclusion of his short-term contract.

The 23-year-old defender signed for the club in the summer of 2023 after leaving Sheffield United. Darren Currie would probably know about him...

Last edited:
Mostly agree.
Interesting to see who we could bring in as a back up to Gus. I'd love to see an attacking player there too
With inverted full backs of Taylor and Ralph - Miley and Morton protecting CD ( remembering there's an in and out of possession phase) having "wing backs" really as wingers is possible
Having a box midfield too of Morton Miley fonguck and coker is also pretty strong. Plus a forward who can play upfront as a lone striker holding the ball up and enabling the more attacking mid to score.
I always thought that Sosa from Borehamwood would be the perfect player to rival that wingback spot. Always causes teams problems. You are right though, it would be good to have more play down the right to free up Bridge a little bit and not be so predictable in our play. That doesn't mean drop Gus, of course it doesn't, but have a player that can come in that position if we need to change the game.

The prospect of signing Adam Crowther sounds like excellent news. Fingers crossed!

I wonder if the Southend management team have any interest in Kyron Gordon who has just left AFC Fylde at the conclusion of his short-term contract.

The 23-year-old defender signed for the club in the summer of 2023 after leaving Sheffield United. Darren Currie would probably know about him...

He certainly was before his move to Fylde…

Whether the impending arrival of Crowther, and interest in other defenders has pushed him off the whiteboard, I’m not sure.

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the striker front - I think we all assumed when Kev said they couldn’t quite get the deal for a striker over the line in time for last Saturday that it would be done early this week, but here we are on Thursday and nobody is through the door yet.

Surely we can’t face Halifax with our only options up front to be Sandat, Vilhete, Kabongolo and Wood?

Any ITKs care to share anything about the likelihood Waldron, Dackers and/or Hopper coming in before Saturday? Or is someone else in the frame now?

It’s all gone a bit quiet on the striker front - I think we all assumed when Kev said they couldn’t quite get the deal for a striker over the line in time for last Saturday that it would be done early this week, but here we are on Thursday and nobody is through the door yet.

Surely we can’t face Halifax with our only options up front to be Sandat, Vilhete, Kabongolo and Wood?

Any ITKs care to share anything about the likelihood Waldron, Dackers and/or Hopper coming in before Saturday? Or is someone else in the frame now?

There are other strikers being looked at besides that list, and no I won’t give names.

The only one I’ll comment on that list is Hopper. I’m 99% certain (would say 100% but might bit me on the arse) that nothing will happen with him this week.

It’s great to have Bridgey and Ralph. Who wouldn’t want to see Bridge tearing defences apart marauding forward down the left wing
However when Bridge
gets caught trying to cover Ralph deep , he is more of a liability and creamed just as easily as he does it to defenders up the other end
over the last couple of games he has been key to not stopping 2 goals, the CURRENT balance sheet for goals created or scored by him compared to goals given away is in deficit
Defending is not his forte

Surely if we are able to sign a striker it’ll be announced tomorrow or Sat. Anyone seen any photos being taken this week? 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back