• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to restrict any interesting factual news to a small selection away from the main forum in future. However, I won’t be silent as per your wish, because I’m also a fan as well as being fortunate enough to have linked involvement, and as a fan I’ll be commenting on performances and squad choices, renovations etc, the same as every one else on here!
Please keep posting I completely disagree about the silence situation. It’s nice to know what’s going on behind the scenes . What’s the point of a forum if not to discuss links and pros and cons .

Happy to restrict any interesting factual news to a small selection away from the main forum in future. However, I won’t be silent as per your wish, because I’m also a fan as well as being fortunate enough to have linked involvement, and as a fan I’ll be commenting on performances and squad choices, renovations etc, the same as every one else on here!
And that is the sad part. Most of us appreciate the 'inside' news we see on the zone and accept that whatever it is may not happen, be delayed or is even later found to be inaccurate. For regular zoners, the 'in the know' people are known. We all search for knowledge but it is wrong and unfair to take these people to task just because nothing happened as quickly, or even at all, as we all wished. I've no doubt all information is passed on in good faith.

Sorry to jump in, but I find this all crazy.

The deal for Waldron didn't quite go through before the Barnet game (out of our control) and we have bought in a midfielder in that time.

Transfer negotiations are nothing like Football Manager. Especially when people are weighing up their livelihoods.

Take Waldron for example. Seems to be from the Birmingham area and has never played full time football. Presumable he supplements his football wage with an actual day job. Moving to us could decrease his monthly salaries.

He's 27 and may have a family, this is more than deciding to play for a new football team. This is a tough decision.

We were also not allowed to speak to clubs or take players on 'trial' whilst under an embargo so presumably the CEO and backroom staff have honoured that so they've had literally 4/5 days to talk to players.
Not sure this is actually true? At least it wasn't in the EFL where we have literally signed players when under embargo but not been able to register them? Maybe the NL is different (the NL embargo is certainly more draconian than that in the EFL). We have also had players training with us before being registered during the embargo - Brooklyn?

That said we need to sign the right players, timing isn't perfect, and strikers are always the most challenging/in demand..

Thanks mate. Unfortunately, the moaners and wind up merchants are always the loudest and most visible on any subject. They are also usually very much a minority.

The rest of us - including many Zoners who read but don't post much - do appreciate titbits and inside info. I suppose we'd just appreciate a bit of care when it is shared - e.g. I referred to quoting sources if info has been found online (e.g. on Twitter/X or FB) but I don't think that necessarily applies to your source(s).

Apart from that please don't post less insights, but instead perhaps try to ignore any wind up merchants etc... The 'ignore' function might be helpful to you if there are repeat offenders getting on your tits :Smile:

The vast majority on here know we are trying to make signings, the vast majority know there will be hiccups on the way, the vast majority know we are not spending boatloads on 'marquee' signings but building for the future. If you're up against someone that for whatever reason can't or doesn't want to comprehend what is being said you're wasting your breath and there is no point getting irate or exasperated.

This would be the most irritating outcome for those of us (the silent majority and otherwise) that appreciate the information shared and avoid shooting the messenger.

Surely the most satisfactory solution all round is just to block each other? No-one is forced to see posts from ITK posters, nor indeed are ITK posters forced to see posts from posters who play the man and not the ball for example...

I suspect if two threads were in place, one for transfer speculation and one for ITK leads, then the leads thread would be just as busy even by those asking the ITKs not to share. This largely boils down to disappointment rather than annoyance at the ITKs I think.

It's a similar scenario to the takeover. There was many false rumours that it had fallen through and wasn't happening with this consortium. A few of us said to be patient, it is happening. It's the same with players coming in, be patient, it is happening. Which deals are going to go smoothly, and which are going to have complications for many reasons, we don't know. It can be the player and his young family mulling over the move. It can be the agents, wanting too much, or using our offer as a bargaining tool for a move to another higher up club. It can be the club trying to squeeze too big a transfer fee. Etc. Many reasons. It doesn't mean Southend United are dragging their heels or not trying very hard.
Sorry to be a pedant, but I think you need to rephrase that, or at least clarify what you mean. To me there are two different things. A "true" false rumour is where someone has simply made something up and it was never true. However, a lot of rumours are based on truth but then don't come to fruition. Those are not false rumours in the same way. They are published in good faith but then don't happen either at the time expected or at all. But that doesn't mean they weren't true at the time they were published.

Last edited:
My post was in no way suggesting that SUFC was dragging there feet on signings quite the opposite , my post was about all those mentioning ex players, . yes signings wont happen overnight ,and i will stand by what i posted ,because i believe Kev AND CO WILL ONLY WANT TO SIGN PLAYERS THAT WILL IMPROVE OUR SQUAD ,NOT WANT TO BE BENCH WARMERS

When i bought that up someone said about bridge not being offered a contract ,neither was our captain or Demi , it wasnt because Kev and co didnt want to offer them a contract it was because of the embargo and other NL laws , but they wanted to stay with us even on a non contract basis ,whereas others left. Bridge ,demi ,ad our captain stayed with us because of their love for our club , these are the type of person i myself want to see in this club ,because they are here because of their love for this club and will always give 100% no matter what .

I don’t think it is.

There has been loads of stick since Saturday for people posting stuff, and that’s why you won’t see much from some posters anymore. It really isn’t worth the hassle.

I’m just looking forward to people eating humble pie in the next week or so when things do come off.

As @Mark Corrigan said, chill out and watch the darts tonight. We don’t have to worry about the game until 3pm on Saturday.
To anyone feeling posting is not worth the hassle....I speak for at least one when I say that not only did I appreciate the 'rumour;' input but reading such stuff made logging on Shrimperzone worthwhile.

My message to anyone thinking of ceasing posting: please reconsider!

If your posts 'triggered' someone when they read about a rumour that failed to eventuate....well that says more about them than you!

I really like already knowing something before it is released as 'news' on the Club feed.

Maybe I am strange but probably not the only one feeling this way.

When i bought that up someone said about bridge not being offered a contract ,neither was our captain or Demi , it wasnt because Kev and co didnt want to offer them a contract it was because of the embargo and other NL laws , but they wanted to stay with us even on a non contract basis ,whereas others left. Bridge ,demi ,ad our captain stayed with us because of their love for our club , these are the type of person i myself want to see in this club ,because they are here because of their love for this club and will always give 100% no matter what .
Others left not necessarily because they wanted to leave or didn't want non contract terms, but under the rules of the embargo I think we could only offer 3 non contract places (to take us to 16 players).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back