• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Statistically, we were one of the best teams for chances created last season.

That’s not an opinion, it’s a fact.

Some will argue that from those chances, not enough were “clear cut” chances, but if you’re missing open goals, hitting the woodwork & failing to trouble the keeper when you’re 1-on-1, then it doesn’t matter how many chances you create.
Thing is its at the individual player level that you understand the issues more clearly. I suspect if you look at the likes of Cardwell and Waldron the actual to expected is OK. If you looked at our CM...well....

Sadly for us this thread has been put on hold it’s so sad we’re probably all thinking the same this team plus 2/3 additions and we could really give it good go next season stay positive everyone , surely some time very soon this money grabbing man will be gone from our club COYB

Has this thread been rendered pointless by off field issues

I think the management side of things are going about their business as usual, identifying targets, meeting with those targets & selling them the idea of playing for us. The consortium meanwhile, carry on planning for what should be a big season for us. They all have to do that, it’s their job.

But sadly you’re right, it’s rather pointless as it stands today. That might not be the case next month or the month after though, so we need those currently working to continue doing so.

We might have to once again hit the ground running, so to speak.

But, if the ownership hasn’t been resolved by the start of the new season, I don’t think we’ll be worrying about transfer targets anyway.

I think the management side of things are going about their business as usual, identifying targets, meeting with those targets & selling them the idea of playing for us. The consortium meanwhile, carry on planning for what should be a big season for us. They all have to do that, it’s their job.

But sadly you’re right, it’s rather pointless as it stands today. That might not be the case next month or the month after though, so we need those currently working to continue doing so.

We might have to once again hit the ground running, so to speak.

But, if the ownership hasn’t been resolved by the start of the new season, I don’t think we’ll be worrying about transfer targets anyway.
Oh we will, we will just be looking for top end Sunday league players, perhaps Essex Senior league standard if we are flush, rather than Pro's.

No matter how good the striker is he will need to be supplied with opportunities that suit his game. Do we have this, I don't think we do yet!
I'm sure there are players on the whiteboard to help with that too. It's not like we're going wait until we've signed a creative player before we can sign a forward.

Whilst it is great we are being "linked" with the likes of Pearce & McCallum etc, Two players I think most of us agree should in theory address most of our problems in front of goal. We need to be mindful that off the pitch (Through no fault of COSU of course) we are still a bit (a lot) of a basket case...

We still have the WUP hanging over us (Who is paying it/Will it be adjourned/Is it the end?) and if that wasn't enough, we still have this never ending nightmare of our club being held hostage by the Rat and the mountain of debt and tangled webs he has weaved. We have a group of top guys pumping in several millions of their own money, without owning a thing as yet. For that, we should be hugely grateful. But, they can't and won't be able to do this forever with no tangible assets to show for it. There is a line.

Whilst this uncertainty still hangs over our club some 14 months on from the initiation of the sale process, we must be prepared for the very real possibility we are going to yet again, miss out on our top targets this summer. We should not be losing out to many if any club in this division, in a straight out battle for a player signature. But the reality is, until the sale is completed, we just aren't anywhere near as attractive as our great club should be. That makes me sad and angry in equal measure, but it is what it is right now.

I hope we see Pearce and/or McCallum holding that navy blue scarf of ours aloft soon, but my gut feel is one or both of them will end up elsewhere in this division. Another kick in the nuts (just like previous summers) and a reminder of where we are right now. Not on a level playing field.

Sorry to put a downer on things, that's not my intention. But I feel this is a realistic view (IMO) of where we are right now and we should perhaps temper expectations. At least until the point the WUP is dismissed and the club is sold, if ever!... :Cry:
sadly i fear this is spot on. that ****er strikes again. ****

Has this thread been rendered pointless by off field issues
Absolutely not pointless. We're in talks with several targets, and we are not under a transfer embargo.

Might not look good if we sign anybody in the week leading up to a winding-up petition hearing though.

Things are progressing and it's not quite like last summer. Perhaps we're just in 2nd or 3rd gear at the moment, until we can maybe provide a bit more clarity to targets after 15th?

Last edited:
Ive heard the Shrimper machine have been hard at work trying to acquire the services of a great local young player that will fit into a position that badly needs nous and ability. Fills me with pride when i hear "Southend are trying to get him in". Looking forward to good news fingers crossed by July, we'll definetly need some key players coming in.

I wonder if we’ll go back in again for Findlay Wilkinson.! He fitted all the criteria and it was only off the field circumstances that stopped him coming first time round!!

Ive heard the Shrimper machine have been hard at work trying to acquire the services of a great local young player that will fit into a position that badly needs nous and ability. Fills me with pride when i hear "Southend are trying to get him in". Looking forward to good news fingers crossed by July, we'll definetly need some key players coming in.
Who built the ark? 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back