• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be my priority shopping list. 2 or 3 of these would be very handy in an attacking sense. Probably missed a few as well.

Whilst I don’t want us to be silly and get ourselves in further financial distress. I do think the consortium are going to need to find a few quid from somewhere to go and get some of the best attacking talent available at this level.

Next season will the best chance we have had since we dropped in, to get back out. We do need to go for it, to an extent. Outside of Oldham, I can’t see any other club competing with us from a financial/support/club size perspective. We need to flex our muscles a bit now.

Paul McCallum
Michael Cheek
Marcus Dinanga
Andy Dallas (loan)
Joe Sbarra
Kabongo Tshimanga (loan)
Ollie Pearce
Nick Haughton
Toby Edser
Charlie Ruff
Tony Mancini
Jermaine Francis
Justin Johnson

Wildcard punt: Kane Crichlow (bishop stortford)
Some decent names on this list how many would we be able to get who knows ..

This would be my priority shopping list. 2 or 3 of these would be very handy in an attacking sense. Probably missed a few as well.

Whilst I don’t want us to be silly and get ourselves in further financial distress. I do think the consortium are going to need to find a few quid from somewhere to go and get some of the best attacking talent available at this level.

Next season will the best chance we have had since we dropped in, to get back out. We do need to go for it, to an extent. Outside of Oldham, I can’t see any other club competing with us from a financial/support/club size perspective. We need to flex our muscles a bit now.

Paul McCallum
Michael Cheek
Marcus Dinanga
Andy Dallas (loan)
Joe Sbarra
Kabongo Tshimanga (loan)
Ollie Pearce
Nick Haughton
Toby Edser
Charlie Ruff
Tony Mancini
Jermaine Francis
Justin Johnson

Some good names on there. I think we should focus on our size and fan base to attract any out of contract rather than splashing too much cash. Sustainability is the key.

I do think we have that advantage at this level. The problem comes when leagues sides are also fishing around.

i've said it before, but our reputation must have been dirt under Ron. how many potential signings must we have lost out on, not only like the last year or so under the embargo but wouldn't even look at us because they knew it was likely they wouldn't get paid? players need their wages same as everyone else, yet with us it was probably 50/50. I can see us having access to a better quality if they can be sure they'll get paid what they're due

Paul McCallum
Michael Cheek
Marcus Dinanga
Andy Dallas (loan)
Joe Sbarra
Kabongo Tshimanga (loan)
Ollie Pearce
Nick Haughton
Toby Edser
Charlie Ruff
Tony Mancini
Jermaine Francis
Justin Johnson

Have you given up on Poleon?

Towards the end of a season I usually know who I want to get rid of and who I want to keep - this season I don't. It's fairly obvious that we do need to make some changes - we're very competitive in this league but ours isn't a promotion winning squad as things stand. As such whilst we don't need major surgery we do need a few out and a few in. I guess that if our players are as good as we like to think, a couple may get poached by league teams this summer which opens things up for us to refresh the squad.
I also note that despite having brought a few in, Maher still tends to pick his original team when fit. I hope that's because the new lads are adjusting to full time football - because if we have managed to sign half a dozen who are no better than what we had already, that isn't a good sign.
I have to say that if an offer came in for Jack Bridge this summer I'd be minded to take it. Appreciate that might not be a popular opinion and am aware he assists a lot of goals - but he also dominates the way we play and having him gone would force our team to evolve. Replacing him with a pacy left footer would balance us up more or even allow a formation change.
Interesting thought on bridge. Remove him and we have almost zero creativity in our current formation.

I never understand the wing back position - almost impossible to find a player who can attack and defend so you get a bit of neither. Look at the stats of our wing backs for defense and attack for example.

So controversially yes let's let bridge go because then I'd be interested to see how we score goals which will in turn force some other decision making either on the team setup or the manager.

Interesting thought on bridge. Remove him and we have almost zero creativity in our current formation.

I never understand the wing back position - almost impossible to find a player who can attack and defend so you get a bit of neither. Look at the stats of our wing backs for defense and attack for example.

So controversially yes let's let bridge go because then I'd be interested to see how we score goals which will in turn force some other decision making either on the team setup or the manager.
Sounds like a bit when we relied on the gower and hall days, take them out and 90% of the creativity went from the side.

I’ve just looked at the stats and Bridge leads the division in key passes whilst being part of a defence that had conceded the fewest goals in the division.

Do you think we will go back in for players we was linked with whilst in the embargo?

I know alot of shrimperzoners like Colin as our No.1 keeper, personally I'd like us to explore options in this position. I compare our situation keeper wise to Arsenal. They had a great keeper in Ramsdale but because of the ball playing ability of Raya they brought him in to replace Ramsdale. I see our style of play we need a ball playing goalkeeper. Someone we can trust with the ball at his feet, the amount of times our defenders pass the ball back to him he should already be looking to see where Cardwell or Dackers are when he pumps the ball long, instead he's pumping it either to the other teams centre half's or of the pitch.

Forward wise I'd like to see Ollie Pearce from Worthing be one of our main targets scores goals for fun.
Will we go back in for Dallas? McCallum?

Midfield - we need that creative spark someone just in behind the forwards, would Zak Brunt be available?

Colin is one of the best keepers in the league and player of the year for me.

I really don't see why some fans are desperate to replace him.

I fully agree we need a solid number 2 to help him grow and push him, but I'm sure David Martin or a similar experienced senior can provide that for next season
We don’t need a replacement for Collin, his record last season for clean sheets was exceptional and this season he’s been great.

As long as we have Dave Martin as a backup we are good for keepers in my opinion.

How about a complete wild card.

Jack Payne. 28 now, played for various clubs and moved around quite a bit.

His contract at Charlton ends this season and he is currently on loan at mk dons.

Maybe he would want to come back to Essex if the money was right.

Would be a class above at this level and pick holes in defences in the national league.
When Jack left it was all down hill.

Do you think we will go back in for players we was linked with whilst in the embargo?

I know alot of shrimperzoners like Colin as our No.1 keeper, personally I'd like us to explore options in this position. I compare our situation keeper wise to Arsenal. They had a great keeper in Ramsdale but because of the ball playing ability of Raya they brought him in to replace Ramsdale. I see our style of play we need a ball playing goalkeeper. Someone we can trust with the ball at his feet, the amount of times our defenders pass the ball back to him he should already be looking to see where Cardwell or Dackers are when he pumps the ball long, instead he's pumping it either to the other teams centre half's or of the pitch.

Forward wise I'd like to see Ollie Pearce from Worthing be one of our main targets scores goals for fun.
Will we go back in for Dallas? McCallum?

Midfield - we need that creative spark someone just in behind the forwards, would Zak Brunt be available?
We have a ball playing keeper.

He’s the most comfortable keeper on the ball I’ve seen pull on a Southend shirt in over thirty years.

I also haven’t seen a more comfortable keeper on the ball since we came down to the NL.

The reason the defence play it back to him so often is because they have complete trust in him. Even a ball playing keeper however will knock it long on occasion as if you continually play it out from the back you get predictable and opponents can press you. This is why Maher likes a tall forward like Cardwell (and Dackers). If you commit too many forward in the press we knock it beyond the press for Cardwell to compete for in the air or chase down the channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back