• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the summer (if the council issues are sorted), would love that one big marquee signing where we show this league we mean business.

The consortium can see they have the crowds to help with investment risk, get the summer right with merchandise (still can’t get a shirt), fan zone (Euros) etc then hopefully Kev can have a few more pennies next season.

Also, hope the club/trust reach out to fans in the summer to help get the pre season safety certificate early & cheaper.
A big signing would be nice, but let’s no pay over the odds for a big name. I’d much rather see players come in with the right attitude and ability, than a big name looking for his last pay cheque.

Our work ethic has kept us alive this season, with a bit more depth and the same attitude we’re good enough to go up next season.

The statement from a statement signing is nearly always “we’ve more money than sense”.

From Dan Mooney to Neil Harris to Michael Kightly to Michael Ricketts to Mike Marsh to Gary Poole, or the re-signings of Freddy Eastwood and Lee Barnard I’m struggling to think of a marquee signing that was going to make the rest of the division sit up and take note, that actually worked.

In the summer (if the council issues are sorted), would love that one big marquee signing where we show this league we mean business.

The consortium can see they have the crowds to help with investment risk, get the summer right with merchandise (still can’t get a shirt), fan zone (Euros) etc then hopefully Kev can have a few more pennies next season.

Also, hope the club/trust reach out to fans in the summer to help get the pre season safety certificate early & cheaper.
You may be right when you say if the council issues are sorted by the the summer they way things are ( not ) moving at the moment. I’m worried some of the consortium members are having a rethink about putting their money At the moment into something that’s not there’s ☹️

The statement from a statement signing is nearly always “we’ve more money than sense”.

From Dan Mooney to Neil Harris to Michael Kightly to Michael Ricketts to Mike Marsh to Gary Poole, or the re-signings of Freddy Eastwood and Lee Barnard I’m struggling to think of a marquee signing that was going to make the rest of the division sit up and take note, that actually worked.
Totally agree with your point although I wouldn’t put Mike Marsh in that list. It didn’t last long because of his injury but he was superb for us and was the foundation for our second highest ever league finish 95/96.

I’m not really sure where Wood’s best position is. He seems quite versatile, I actually liked him out on the wing today. He grew into the position the longer he was on the pitch.
This starts to be a problem. He is good enough when played out of position (wide & up top) that people forget that actually he is a CM…I would love to see him show what he can do in his actual position. And there really is no excuse other than an abundance of caution- after all we play 3 in midfield. He got 8 in 18 playing in CM in NLS- bizarrely we look at records like that from midfielders in the NLS/NLN and we want to sign them- yet we already have same and play him somewhere else…

Tell you what. Our recruitment was poor again yesterday.

Waldron & Crowther were both excellent, Morton a bit more subdued. Dackers gets his first and played well.

John Still out!
Is there anyone who actually thinks our recruitment is poor? I can’t think of one where I would say that’s a bad signing. The only possible gripe is in midfield where they may be a little too alike. But individually all good players and good signings.

I think people also forget this has been achieved with one hand tied behind the back

Is there anyone who actually thinks our recruitment is poor? I can’t think of one where I would say that’s a bad signing. The only possible gripe is in midfield where they may be a little too alike. But individually all good players and good signings.

I think people also forget this has been achieved with one hand tied behind the back

Check my original comment and the one I replied to, someone does think our recruitment has been poor…

If the recruitment policy of exclusively signing players from lower divisions, or from higher divisions who have yet to establish themselves, results in promotion back to the EFL within a couple of years then it can be deemed a success. If not it will have backfired and proven just as misguided as signing over the hill , last pay day 'big' names. Getting the right blend is key and only time will tell. This is of course assuming that the takeover actually happens and that we are not under an embargo over the next couple of seasons or worse.

Check my original comment and the one I replied to, someone does think our recruitment has been poor…
Well I don’t think it’s an opinion that survives contact with reality- but I suppose 100% agreement is unachievable- even if the question was is the moon made of cheese…

If the recruitment policy of exclusively signing players from lower divisions, or from higher divisions who have yet to establish themselves, results in promotion back to the EFL within a couple of years then it can be deemed a success. If not it will have backfired and proven just as misguided as signing over the hill , last pay day 'big' names. Getting the right blend is key and only time will tell. This is of course assuming that the takeover actually happens and that we are not under an embargo over the next couple of seasons or worse.
I don’t think it is the exclusive policy though? I think it the default or preferred route, but there will, I am sure, be a mix. For example, reliable sources had us interested in Tom Hopper as an example?

I think we could and maybe should do a bit more business, a squad of just 16 fit, is still a bit of a risk, with loads of games coming up.
I strongly appreciate how much better off we are. However yesterday, injuries left us without Gus ( with further concern about his knee) , Lomas ( ongoing ) Taylor, Coker and Powell
It did enable Martin back to the bench, but a couple more injuries and we are down to 3 subs and the pressure that brings, or ?calling back young Beau Mac Donald. Personally I dont see us as having a large squad.
Maybe more loan market activity if the purse strings remain tight ?
Bringing in the 5 we did is excellent business and more than I initially thought we would, or indeed Kev himself ? Being small and tight proved highly beneficial foe a period.
However I note that still leaves us with a smaller squad than any of the top 10 clubs , seven of whom carry between 28 and 32 in their first team , so could it be favourable?

Shaun Goater wasn’t too shabby though

I'd argue that although we have to aim for promotion, that is only one factor in the success of recruitment, the other being financial.

If our recruitment policy can go some way to making Southend United self sufficient then it will have been successful, promotion or not.

I'd argue that although we have to aim for promotion, that is only one factor in the success of recruitment, the other being financial.

If our recruitment policy can go some way to making Southend United self sufficient then it will have been successful, promotion or not.
If we continue to languish in non-league football then support will inevitably ebb away with resultant loss of revenue, thus ensuring non-sustainability in the long term. Getting back in the EFL in the near future is a must.

If we continue to languish in non-league football then support will inevitably ebb away with resultant loss of revenue, thus ensuring non-sustainability in the long term. Getting back in the EFL in the near future is a must.
May be Non League, but the standard isn't at all bad. Would suggest a number of teams in League 2 would struggle to make a real impact in the National League.

We are at the start of the journey back to the EFL, but it is clear we will continue in a sustainable way. After what we have been through in recent years, I fully agree with the Consortium. They want to restart the Academy, but the funding isn't available until we get back to the EFL. Safe to say the powers to be are more than focussed on promotion next season.

In my opinion it will take 2 very good sides to stop us next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back