• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our recent signings are good acquisitions and will improve our squad for the remainder of this season but more importantly, next season.

I do however feel we need to add some quality, experienced players. Players who have battled at this level and above and have achieved promotions. Especially when it comes to the creative side of our squad.

Thankfully the days of signing old crocks looking for one last pay day is behind us, but proven players in their late 20's/early 30's will provide invaluable experience if you are pushing for promotion.

Obviously these will not come cheap and although I'm sure we won't be paying silly money for players, we will need to invest some outlay on players like this if we want to really push for promotion.

Would be interesting to know if there are any names in this category on the 'whiteboard'

Last edited:
I don't think we have a wes fonguck role replacement.
Morton is not that type of player, I think he's a Quarteback type sit in the middle and distribute the ball.
Possibly Husin?
Bridge?

I think our recent signings are good acquisitions and will improve our squad for the remainder of this season but more importantly, next season.

I do however feel we need to add some quality, experienced players. Players who have battled at this level and above and have achieved promotions. Especially when it comes to the creative side of our squad.

Thankfully the days of signing old crocks looking for one last pay day is behind us, but proven players in their late 20's/early 30's will provide invaluable experience if you are pushing for promotion.

Obviously these will not come cheap and although I'm sure we won't be paying silly money for players, we will need to invest some outlay on players like this if we want to really push for promotion.

Would be interesting to know if there are any names in this category on the 'whiteboard'
Definitely agree someone on the bench to come on and change things and make an impact just like chesterfield on Saturday especially for a good go at promotion next season

I cannot see, neither would I want to see any deviation from the intended model. We have experience in the squad already, no need to go looking for it and paying a premium. I trust the football department to do whatever they think is necessary and the way they are going about things.

The main gaps for me now are proper first-team-ready competition for Bridgey and Gus on the flanks, and Collin in goal.

Dave Martin, JD and Ralphy are not sufficient competition. They are worthy and willing stand ins, but they are not genuine competition as good as the guys in those positions, IMO, if we want to be a team vying for promotion.

I am impressed with Waldron. He will fit in nicely as soon as Morton plays in mid field.
He will provide the low pass for Waldron and Cards to run onto.
Saturday was awful. You cannot play high balls to strikers with their back to goal.
It will be interesting to see the starting XI v Gateshead. A 3-0 defeat provides all the opportunity Kev could need to justify changing up the starting XI. Still, that's a conversation for the Pre-Match Thread when it opens. Agree re: Morton, but I'd probably also start Crowther and Waldron too....

It will be interesting to see the starting XI v Gateshead. A 3-0 defeat provides all the opportunity Kev could need to justify changing up the starting XI. Still, that's a conversation for the Pre-Match Thread when it opens. Agree re: Morton, but I'd probably also start Crowther and Waldron too....
agreed. id start Crowther and move Ralph out to LWB so that bridge can have a rest
Waldron and Cardwell up top would give us movement and pace and Cardwell wins plenty in the air
Moreton id bring in for Wes to allow Miley and Husin to push on. However Coker also could come in for Wes with Miley playing more defensively

How great it is to have these dilemmas again

agreed. id start Crowther and move Ralph out to LWB so that bridge can have a rest
Waldron and Cardwell up top would give us movement and pace and Cardwell wins plenty in the air
Moreton id bring in for Wes to allow Miley and Husin to push on. However Coker also could come in for Wes with Miley playing more defensively

How great it is to have these dilemmas again
This idea of Bridge having a rest is interesting. We’ve had three games postponed, if he’d have been “rested” for those I can’t see anyone saying he would need more?

This idea of Bridge having a rest is interesting. We’ve had three games postponed, if he’d have been “rested” for those I can’t see anyone saying he would need more?

I think it's more the tactic of Bridge that needs a rest. Rest Bridge, rest the tactic of giving it to Bridge and seeing what happens :Hilarious:

Teams are definitely more tight down our left now and I assume that's because until recently that was our only avenue to create chances

I cannot see, neither would I want to see any deviation from the intended model. We have experience in the squad already, no need to go looking for it and paying a premium. I trust the football department to do whatever they think is necessary and the way they are going about things.

IMO you cannot assemble a squad of young talented players from the leagues below us and expect them to be pushing for promotion in a league where you can probably lose no more than 5-6 games in the whole season.

Perhaps Kev and Co think they can, in which case I trust their judgement 100%, but we are short of experience and squad depth in certain areas. If we want to be the next Chesterfield in terms of performance and competitiveness across the pitch, then IMO you must add some experienced heads for when you hit a difficult patch during the season and need those players who have experienced that pressure before to guide and help the others.

The type of player Shaun Goater was for us, worth their weight in gold for more than one reason.

It's not deviating from any sort of model, it's just makes good footballing sense.

yes i see your point, maybe he needs a rest from the mental side to reboot. Ralph is defo more direct in that role and gets the ball in quicker and with Cardwell, Waldron and Dackers available we have plenty of height to get on the end of them. Its not a criticism of Bridge who has been excellant but we now have options. People saying crowther should start, who does in replace? Obvs answer is to push Ralph outwide for a game or two and Crowther in the back three

I disagree with the bridge thing one of the top assists in the league and pen taker just my take.
you are spot on. Think what is being discussed is now that we have a bigger squad if he was to be rested then could for example Ralph fill that role. For whats its worth i dont think he will be rested and his stats suggest he shouldnt be. Its going to be interesting to see how kevs uses the squad now and if he is able to change the pattern of play if requried. Something he hasnt been able to do all season. Exciting times ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back