• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing how the tone has changed on here since the takeover (which still hasn't happened) was announced.

The first team is doing really well all things considered, and in recent weeks we've been able to extend the contracts of a couple of players and add 2 permanent signings and 2 loans in key positions.

But some people seem mildly cheesed off that there haven't been more incoming (note that the 2 permanent signings aren't guaranteed starters). Do people really want to go back to having a large squad given how well we're doing with a small one? And do people realise that every new player is an increased wage bill and less money to spend on other things around the club? So with that considered do we REALLY need a third goalkeeper when Colin is fit, David Martin is a capable understudy, and Maher doesn't really name keepers on the bench. If Colin got injured, we could quickly loan a keeper in, which is far more cost effective than employing someone permanently.

Given what we've been through in recent years, why are so many people keen to spend, spend, spend.

Then there's selling players on. There was some talk earlier in the week of Noor being off for £100k which I agree was likely complete nonsense given the source. But if a league club did give us decent money for a player, surely that's good business for us - we've brought one in cheaply, got some good use out of him, and sold him on - making a profit that can be used to repair the ground or similar. We're in the unusual position of having a recruitment team that I would 100% back to replace any player - and for that reason I'm not bothered if a couple do move on provided we make a return on them. Why do some fans panic when they see a player rumoured to be exiting? Surely if we lose one, we'd back this management team to bring in a good replacement?
Personally I wouldn't keep David Martin past the end of the season, he's done a great job for us but at his age I wouldn't be keeping him, I would want someone younger coming in for the number one spot, I also feel like as good as Colin is, it would be good to have a really competitive second keeper to challenge him, Colin is still very young for a keeper. So on that basis I would be looking for a third keeper.

I'm speculating, but perhaps trying to give more upfront gets you a discount on other future clauses, such as the disputed sell-on clause. It seemingly worked for other clubs buying players from RM when we were selling.
Exactly. It's more likely to be a restructuring of the same outlay rather than any significant change to the amount we're ultimately willing to pay.

Some people might call that "moving the goalposts", others may not.

Any news is dw happening must no by now?
Perhaps we adjusted our offer on the price of oil increasing which would have resulted in only 5 barrels of crude oil rather than the agreed 7 barrels. And he needs the extra 2 barrels to ensure this luscious locks are as slick as ever.

View attachment 30770

Stephen Cleeve also makes Ron look like a saint in comparison. At least Ron managed to get planning permission (eventually) Stephen looks to have previously offered land for sale for housing as an investment opportunity knowing that there was no chance of it ever being used for housing.

Bloody hell, looks like Count Dracula 🧛‍♂️

nd Maher doesn't really name keepers on the bench. If Colin got injured, we could quickly loan a keeper in, which is far more c
Amazing how the tone has changed on here since the takeover (which still hasn't happened) was announced.

The first team is doing really well all things considered, and in recent weeks we've been able to extend the contracts of a couple of players and add 2 permanent signings and 2 loans in key positions.

But some people seem mildly cheesed off that there haven't been more incoming (note that the 2 permanent signings aren't guaranteed starters). Do people really want to go back to having a large squad given how well we're doing with a small one? And do people realise that every new player is an increased wage bill and less money to spend on other things around the club? So with that considered do we REALLY need a third goalkeeper when Colin is fit, David Martin is a capable understudy, and Maher doesn't really name keepers on the bench. If Colin got injured, we could quickly loan a keeper in, which is far more cost effective than employing someone permanently.

Given what we've been through in recent years, why are so many people keen to spend, spend, spend.

Then there's selling players on. There was some talk earlier in the week of Noor being off for £100k which I agree was likely complete nonsense given the source. But if a league club did give us decent money for a player, surely that's good business for us - we've brought one in cheaply, got some good use out of him, and sold him on - making a profit that can be used to repair the ground or similar. We're in the unusual position of having a recruitment team that I would 100% back to replace any player - and for that reason I'm not bothered if a couple do move on provided we make a return on them. Why do some fans panic when they see a player rumoured to be exiting? Surely if we lose one, we'd back this management team to bring in a good replacement?
I think the problem is that Kevin & co have outright said how dangerously thin the squad is, we can see it every week when there was only 1 sub on the bench. It isn't that people want a "large squad", we want a squad that has half decent depth so we can rotate. We saw it at the end of last season, we can do well with a small squad but that will come back to bite you towards the last third of the season. Players have been knackering themselves out week in week out with little to no rest all season. I agree it's about making the moves for the right players, but you would hope that KM, JS and the consortium would have had potential transfer targets lined up.

Incorrect, although he is someone we chased briefly.

Izzy Irekpen, former Swansea and West Ham centre half, was someone we chased for a very long time under Tilson. Did his medical, agreed terms, shook hands on the deal, photos done etc. The day he was due to turn up to Roots Hall to sign contracts and then be “unveiled” as a new signing, he didn’t turn up. No reason, no phone call, nothing. Just blanked Tilson and the Club. He would have been a superb signing, but for whatever reason he decided against it.
Thought you said it was someone Brown spent all pre season chasing ?

Please let Saturday's game be on. If it is, then there is a reasonable chance that this transfer will have happened before ko, and we won't have the continuous regurgitation of reasons why Waldron won't sign, immediately followed by denials from the ITKs.

It occurs to me that if some posters were to read back a few posts from the last time they visited, then some of the stuff posted wouldn't be. Too radical to catch on? yeah, sorry. I'll carry on lurking now.

Perhaps we adjusted our offer on the price of oil increasing which would have resulted in only 5 barrels of crude oil rather than the agreed 7 barrels. And he needs the extra 2 barrels to ensure this luscious locks are as slick as ever.

View attachment 30770

Stephen Cleeve also makes Ron look like a saint in comparison. At least Ron managed to get planning permission (eventually) Stephen looks to have previously offered land for sale for housing as an investment opportunity knowing that there was no chance of it ever being used for housing.

He looks like the villain in a children's TV drama.

Exactly. It's more likely to be a restructuring of the same outlay rather than any significant change to the amount we're ultimately willing to pay.

Some people might call that "moving the goalposts", others may not.
It is if its after you have made an offer and its accepted.
It is not if part of the original negotiation.

But if done in the right way it should be a problem- other than introducing delay which, of course, is, at least to some extent, risk.

I also remember the time that we got to a similar stage with Gabby Zakuani when he was at Fulham back in 2008/09. We were in for him on loan with a view to a permanent move. He'd been down, verbally agreed terms, had a medical and shook hands. Ron Martin was then "uncontactable" to get final sign-off on the deal and he ended up going to Peterborough.
I seem to recall a situation with Steve Anthrobus , recalled from a loan by Wimbledon less than 12 hours after he Joined , so they could sell him to someone else.

Lee chapman was only on loan for a day and a half before West ham called him back

Did anyone discover why he was there? Was it gate receipts or just being a bell donkey?
I think the answer has already been given in another thread, and as this is the Transfers rumours thread (sometimes) lets not dig it out again here thanks.

I dont think we run the risk of a large squad. We can only list 19 at the moment and its great that that includes the new signings
That also includes Sandat who is only here for a few more weeks at the moment and Vilhete who I would be surprised if retained or gets a game
Its also not unusual to have 4 ongoing injuries especially with winter turf still around. Cardwell and Coker may be back on the grass but not yet called to action
David Martin and Lomas remain on the injury list
So not that surprised really if Mighty Kev wants one or two more beyond Waldron, again maybe utilising the loan market for one ?

I saw a tweet earlier, not from the ever-wrongTC9, saying Bradford City are after some bloke called Danny Waldron.

I went back to X but couldn't find the original tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back