• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tend to agree, but depends on how much they value staying up and how much they think Cardwell is the answer.
As good as Cardwell is for us, 2 steps up; I'm not so sure.
No disrepect to harry at all as he's been awesome for us, but i agree.

It is not just about what they think he is worth as any decision to move will be made by the player, as well as, perhaps, his agent.

It is quite possible that Cards might not want to move right now and will reject any offer not because he wishes to stay at Southend but because he might think that being a free agent in the close season once his contract with us expires will give him maximum bargaining power. If he believes this course of action will lead to him being offered far better terms in the summer than anything Exeter are now willing to throw his way he might choose to stay put.

Remaining with us until his contract runs out need not mean he sees his future as being with Southend.

Should that be the course of action he follows there is, of course, nothing to prevent us from being one of the clubs who bid for his services.

Given Harry's age and injury history who could blame him for trying to cash in on his remarkable performances this season.

In football, as in life, timing can be everything.

My point exactly. Minus the splashing the cash bit.
Because Harry will know his stock is high at the moment. He will want to play in the Football League, it is a short career and he has to maximise it. Exeter will pay him more money and even though things are looking up, there are far from any guarantees that we will be challenging for promotion either this season or next. Even Luton were here for 5 years.

Cardwell has banged in 13 goals so far. He knows there are higher division clubs in for him, and it could be his last chance to play in the league. Things might not go his way next year and all of a sudden that chance is gone. I'd be shocked if he wasn't open to any move to the league (perhaps with the exception of to Sutton or FGR who look certain to be relegated to the NL).

We need to realise where and what we are now. A non-league club in the National League.

Or perhaps they won't riggers, we can but wait and see. Trying to predict on ShrmperZone is a bit like herding cats, it ain't easy.

On a site as big as SZ there will be people with opposing views on most topics.

The view that we should be sustainable was never an unanimous opinion. Plenty were hoping for rich owners, indeed some are still holding out hope that the mystery Canadian is properly loaded and generous. The mistake some make is to ascribe the view expressed by some posters to all posters. We’re all individuals… despite how you might have spelt it there is an i in Shrimperzone.

That'd probably be good business if it were true
Selling a shot at promotion for £100k is terrible business in my opinion. I'd suggest £250k minimum. We don't want or need to sell our best assets so it will require an over inflated price.

Obviously we all know its not true though anyway 😉

On a site as big as SZ there will be people with opposing views on most topics.

The view that we should be sustainable was never an unanimous opinion. Plenty were hoping for rich owners, indeed some are still holding out hope that the mystery Canadian is properly loaded and generous. The mistake some make is to ascribe the view expressed by some posters to all posters. We’re all individuals… despite how you might have spelt it there is an i in Shrimperzone.
Thanks for all that @Yorkshire Blue. I assume that your post is actually in response to @rigsby's post, even though I left the i out of ShrimperZone. I'll do better next time, promise.:Moon:

Are Vanarama still trolling us, such pricks… View attachment 30763

Rushall Olympic accepted the bid from us - no one else has made an offer as far as I'm concerned, although Kidderminster have enquired. They're still working away on it behind the scenes and the move remains on.

Trolling is the best way of describing it. Conscious of not going too off topic, I do feel the National League's treatment of us has been appalling. Perhaps they're keen for us to remain in the league for the revenue and publicity we bring as one of the 'big'/traditional Football League teams currently in the League.

A few people have messaged me asking about a post concerning Noor Husin moving on given he is out of contract in the summer - no truth whatsoever.

As indicated previously, Kensdale & Cardwell are the only two players out of contract in the summer that do not have options for an extra year. The club's focus is on extending the contracts of those two players. I imagine if Exeter were to go in for Cardwell again it'll be a minimal fee offered, much smaller than the offer made in the summer. Their current striker leading the line has scored 2 goals in 5 games since returning from being out on loan. They are just above the drop though. At this stage, it is my understanding no bid has been made by them.

But that’s the model we are running with isn’t it? Buy low, sell high. We need to realise that for it to work the selling part has to happen.

Yes Cardwell has done well this season. Yes Kensdale has developed into a top centre half at this level. But if the right offer comes in for either we have to be ready and in a place to accept. That’s why we continue to buy players in positions we don’t need, succession planning.

I’ll be gutted to see the back of all of these players given what they have done for this club but I will wish them all well and hope they have hugely successful careers wherever they end up.
Yes. Although we aren't splashing the cash (someone will need to define at which point this criteria is met) we have just paid fees for two players and hopefully about to pay a fee for a third. Not so long ago this would be bit of a shock.

Cardwell would be reflective of the model if we sold high (100k plus). But at £50k (unless there are very attractive add ons) to me you say thanks but no thanks. Everyone has there price but at this point, it seems to me, his value here is more than the value there.

Because Harry will know his stock is high at the moment. He will want to play in the Football League, it is a short career and he has to maximise it. Exeter will pay him more money and even though things are looking up, there are far from any guarantees that we will be challenging for promotion either this season or next. Even Luton were here for 5 years.

Cardwell has banged in 13 goals so far. He knows there are higher division clubs in for him, and it could be his last chance to play in the league. Things might not go his way next year and all of a sudden that chance is gone. I'd be shocked if he wasn't open to any move to the league (perhaps with the exception of to Sutton or FGR who look certain to be relegated to the NL).

We need to realise where and what we are now. A non-league club in the National League.
This is all very true. But unless the offer meets a certain level his value here until the summer is higher than the value offered. In which case he can come back, bang in more goals and get an even better move IF that is what he wants. We assume we know what players want. Look at Ralph. He absolutely could play in the EFL but even stayed on non-contract terms. All sorts of things motivate players and its not always just money or playing in the EFL. I have no idea what Cardwell's thoughts are but thus far he has seemed pretty keen to stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back