• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The State of Roots Hall

BALDY

Striker
I have read about the disgusting state of Roots Hall time and again.
Thank God that any fans have not had a serious accident.

How does it get through any health and safety check with Covid still around?

No idea. I would suspect the council would rather like the flats built so are generous with their assessment ?

Who used to take care of cleaning up the ****, and general maintenance? Contractors? Or did we have an oddjob man on staff who was fired?

Holes in the roof are probably a positive from a Covid perspective, adding a bit more ventilation :Unsure:

Yep really miss the old open air concrete gutter toilets of the 70s unfortunately you could cut yourself on the broken glass wall capping if you tried to escape or get into the ground that way......We really have come a long way when the luxury of today's RH is considered appalling.

In my day lad you were lucky to have a roof over you.......South bank supporters used to say!

There can’t be much in when it comes to passing a proper safety inspection. Everything is basically buggered and surely can’t survive the health and safety checks must longer. Maybe that’s plan 😢

For those interested, safety certificates are generally issued based on the assessment of a number of capacity calculations for each stand in a stadium, and P (physical condition) and S (safety management quality / strategy) factors are also applied to one of these calculations.

The resultant findings combine to provide a maximum permissible capacity. That is very oversimplified but the crux of it.

Capacity calculations can be relatively complex. They involve assessing the permissible number of usable seats, and the entry, exit and holding capacities of each stand (this relates to the safe passage of supporters in and out of the structure during both normal and emergency situations)/

The P & S factors apply to the Holding Capacity (the number of people who can be safely accommodated in the viewing accommodation).
In terms of the P factor, the checklist is as long as your arm, but can arrange anywhere from identifying restricted view seats / broken seats / condition and consistency of stair treads and risers / ability for water or ice to be cleared safely from trafficked areas etc. etc.
S factor is primarily concerned with the existence, quality and application of various safety management policies and can include such things as quality & quantity of trained stewards / first aider presence / segregation strategy etc. etc.
The two are given a score each of between 0.0 and 1.0 and this can then be factored against the Holding Capacity figure.

Essentially, the lowest of each of the four capacity calculations is used to determine the final capacity of each stand, and the total is therefore the maximum permissible capacity of the stadium.

Based on this, I would assume Roots Hall has a significantly reduced maximum capacity over that historically stated (circa 12,400 ish).

For those interested, safety certificates are generally issued based on the assessment of a number of capacity calculations for each stand in a stadium, and P (physical condition) and S (safety management quality / strategy) factors are also applied to one of these calculations.

The resultant findings combine to provide a maximum permissible capacity. That is very oversimplified but the crux of it.

Capacity calculations can be relatively complex. They involve assessing the permissible number of usable seats, and the entry, exit and holding capacities of each stand (this relates to the safe passage of supporters in and out of the structure during both normal and emergency situations)/

The P & S factors apply to the Holding Capacity (the number of people who can be safely accommodated in the viewing accommodation).
In terms of the P factor, the checklist is as long as your arm, but can arrange anywhere from identifying restricted view seats / broken seats / condition and consistency of stair treads and risers / ability for water or ice to be cleared safely from trafficked areas etc. etc.
S factor is primarily concerned with the existence, quality and application of various safety management policies and can include such things as quality & quantity of trained stewards / first aider presence / segregation strategy etc. etc.
The two are given a score each of between 0.0 and 1.0 and this can then be factored against the Holding Capacity figure.

Essentially, the lowest of each of the four capacity calculations is used to determine the final capacity of each stand, and the total is therefore the maximum permissible capacity of the stadium.

Based on this, I would assume Roots Hall has a significantly reduced maximum capacity over that historically stated (circa 12,400 ish).
Based on that, if we don't see further capacity restrictions (we've already lost the NW corner I believe) I will be shocked. All 4 stands are a disgrace and not fit for purpose.

The thing is some of the work that needs doing wouldn't even cost that much. Is it really that difficult to provide hot water, hand soap and bog roll?...basics.

Based on that, if we don't see further capacity restrictions (we've already lost the NW corner I believe) I will be shocked. All 4 stands are a disgrace and not fit for purpose.

The thing is some of the work that needs doing wouldn't even cost that much. Is it really that difficult to provide hot water, hand soap and bog roll?...basics.
I'm not part of the Safety Advisory Group who would ultimately be responsible for this assessment, but, if I were, I suspect it would take some very creative assessment and scoring to not be taking a large proportion of the stadium out of use.

Again, I preface this is all but clarifying my detachment from this group, who will ultimately be far more closely aligned with what is and isn't acceptable.

didn’t Ron say it costs something like £10k a month to get the ground the safety cert required each month? This was about a year ago. Sure someone can dig his quote out

We could have a situation where fans have already purchased season card seats then find out before the season starts that their part of the ground is closed down. Probably unlikely but you can never be sure with this club.

Well, thanks to numerous fans not renewing their season ticket, we have given RM the perfect excuse when we can't afford the H&S certificate. Whatever action you propose will always end in a reaction and the blame deflected from our exalted leader.

didn’t Ron say it costs something like £10k a month to get the ground the safety cert required each month? This was about a year ago. Sure someone can dig his quote out
Surely paying decent tradesmen £10k a month over the year would fix the place up totally?

Back