• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
I think @Sherif H mentioned the Bristol Rovers example on here previously and I thought their new stand looks like a similar size to the North Bank.

One of the big challenges though will be that it seems we will need to totally knock down and rebuild the East Stand. As this is currently the only place for hospitality at the moment we will need something else in the interim - possibly for a whole season. The North would probably be the best location for this too as there don’t really seem to be any feasible options for this in the South or West.
Temporary (modular) hospitality facilities can be brought in, and removed as and when phases of the new East Stand are released for certification/use. Whilst not housing hospitality, we did something similar to this when building the Elton John Stand at Watford - this had players' facilities beneath, and was demolished and re-built in phases.

The footprint on the Bristol Rovers South Stand is similar to that of the North Bank. There, we replaced a temporary stand which housed around 1,400 with just under 3,500 seats.
The remit there was to deliver as many seats in that space as possible for the lowest cost - hence the lack of cantilevered roof and fairly utilitarian design.

Doesn't look particularly appealing..... New stand with posts. Might aswell keep the north bank as it is.

It all depends on the brief and budget. As sherif says there it was most possible seats for lowest cost but there’s always a compromise

Doesn't look particularly appealing..... New stand with posts. Might aswell keep the north bank as it is.
Agree posts at the front are poor - but brief in this case was lowest cost.

@Sherif H roughly what additional cost would a cantilevered roof have been? And would it been physically possible to have had that?

It all depends on the brief and budget. As sherif says there it was most possible seats for lowest cost but there’s always a compromise
Yeah I guess but if the stand looks like it's built in the 60s and offers poor views it's hardly going to attract many more fans to go watch Southend unless there playing a prem club in the fa cup.

The biggest challenge we may have is planning permission given the proximity to housing. That doesn't seem to be a problem for BR based on that photo.
One of the advantages of this stand as opposed to our current North Bank is that, IIRC you can have a concourse underneath - I'm sure @Sherif H will confirm.

Another reason for rebuilding as opposed to keeping it will be the roof - the barrel roof design means that if you reprofile the terrace to meet current standards, those at the back will have a restricted view due to the height of the roof at the front. The Bristol Rovers stand is a mono pitch that is higher at the front to get around this issue.

There may also be issues with the safety certificate on the current North Bank which could be another reason to replace.

Temporary (modular) hospitality facilities can be brought in, and removed as and when phases of the new East Stand are released for certification/use. Whilst not housing hospitality, we did something similar to this when building the Elton John Stand at Watford - this had players' facilities beneath, and was demolished and re-built in phases.

The footprint on the Bristol Rovers South Stand is similar to that of the North Bank. There, we replaced a temporary stand which housed around 1,400 with just under 3,500 seats.
The remit there was to deliver as many seats in that space as possible for the lowest cost - hence the lack of cantilevered roof and fairly utilitarian design.
Thanks Sherif, that's good to know. I hope COSU are still talking to you about options for the regeneration of Roots Hall.

Out of interest, how long did the Bristol Rovers stand take to build please?

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just me, but as our club has almost died numerous times in the last few years and Roots Hall is falling down. I'd take a Bristol Rovers version of the North Bank any day.

Yes, of course I'd prefer a Barnet type stand, with good facilities underneath. But unless this magic £20m (now about £12m) materialises from you know who in the next decade, we can't expect COSU to spaff millions (on top of what they already have) of their money on expensive rebuilds, when a Bristol Rovers version does the job. If it is good enough for them, a decent League One club with 8,000+ attendances, then why not us?

Expectations need to be lowered and we need to remember where we are now. We are practically coming back from the dead.

I've just watched this video again about the transformation of Fratton Park (featuring our very own @Sherif H !)

It's worth watching as it looks like Portsmouth faced many similar issues there to the ones we face at Roots Hall - principally reduced capacity due to ground safety issues.

Let's hope COSU are talking to Sherif's guys as they clearly know their stuff and I'm sure learned a lot from the Fratton Park experience that could be used in the transformation of Roots Hall.

Great to put a face to a name @Sherif H & a really interesting snippet there.

Regrettably unless the club builds a 100k capacity multi-zillion £ super stadium, rotated by 90 deg (I mean that's just obvious 😇) there are still people who will whinge but it's always nice to hear & see what other clubs are doing in a sensible & cost effective manner. We need to stay withing our means, get something functional & if that's a minimalistic design then so be it.

Like most I really hope COSU will use your skills but nothing is certain in business as they might have their own routes to what they want. However, it's always great to hear your input.

Perhaps it's just me, but as our club has almost died numerous times in the last few years and Roots Hall is falling down. I'd take a Bristol Rovers version of the North Bank any day.

Yes, of course I'd prefer a Barnet type stand, with good facilities underneath. But unless this magic £20m (now about £12m) materialises from you know who in the next decade, we can't expect COSU to spaff millions (on top of what they already have) of their money on expensive rebuilds, when a Bristol Rovers version does the job. If it is good enough for them, a decent League One club with 8,000+ attendances, then why not us?

Expectations need to be lowered and we need to remember where we are now.
Exactly this @Smiffy

Let's say ron does give 12 mill for roots hall redevelopment I can only see that money being spent on new east stand and the other 3 stands being refurbished. I don't see much change happening with the south, west and north. The east does need knocking down and completely new stand built...... that stand is health hazard, god knows how that stand passes health and safety.

Let's say ron does give 12 mill for roots hall redevelopment I can only see that money being spent on new east stand and the other 3 stands being refurbished. I don't see much change happening with the south, west and north. The east does need knocking down and completely new stand built...... that stand is health hazard, god knows how that stand passes health and safety.
Is it going to come in one lump though? I thought it was to be gradually released as properties were built on FF?

The East stand will be the money maker and this I imagine is where COSU will channel the majority of the money. All other stands get as much done to them in the budget COSU have set. If that means a brand new East stand and tarted up North, South & West stands so be it. It's going to be a hell of a lot better than it is currently. And it will be ours (eventually)...

Hence why I prefaced the explanation with the client's brief to squeeze in seats over aesthetics.

Few points of note when comparing to the North Bank:

1 - Yes, both have supporting columns to prop the roof, but the sightlines ('C-values') at Bristol exceed code requirements. Those in the North Bank will be well under the recommended figures.

2 - The new structure created at Bristol Rovers removed any inconsistency in critical dimensions (tread depths/riser heights, radial gangway and exit widths) - all things which won't be obvious to the naked eye, but have a major impact on permissible entry/exit capacity within the stadium's safety management plan, and have a bearing on safety certificate capacity calculation. The North Bank will only continue to degrade and make this process more problematic.

3 - The consideration about cantilever v supporting stanchions is twofold.
Firstly, the primary steels (think the rear column and raker - that is the diagonal member supporting the terracing, which partially props up the roof) would be significantly larger and heavier than those used at Bristol Rovers. The roof joists would likely convert to very deep trussed sections as well.
This has a knock-on effect on the civils works (foundations required) and the operational demands (requirement for craneage v forklift/manual handling etc.) - this has a major impact on time and cost.
For a span of that size, you might have a column at the rear which is a metre in diameter.
Secondly, and in turn, the increased steel dimensions reduce the available footprint, thus reducing theoretical maximum capacity - this is where a modular structure would make sense, but these have a cap on size, and any new North Bank would likely be larger than this restriction.
Bristol was a product of a strict brief of low cost capacity over aesthetics.

4 - The North Bank would appear to be an in-situ concrete terrace, cast over an embankment (likely comprised of waste material / rubble / asbestos / spoil etc.). There is currently no ability to create functional space - the Club's revenue in this area will be driven by net spend per head.
By creating a large void beneath the seating deck, we have enabled Bristol Rovers to introduce food & beverage / toilet functionality which was previously hired in as required.
If you don't have functionality beneath the stand, then this means it either has to be brought in outside the stand footprint (which isn't really possible as it stands), or placed at either end at the expense of seats, so there is a major trade off.

Thanks Sherif, that's good to know. I hope COSU are still talking to you about options for the regeneration of Roots Hall.

Out of interest, how long did the Bristol Rovers stand take to build please?
Rovers was largely completed during the closed season, but there were well documented issues with unforeseen ground conditions, which meant a major increase in pile length, and caused delays. This is just par for the course with construction projects of this type.

Expectations need to be lowered and we need to remember where we are now. We are practically coming back from the dead.
Just to be clear, the North Stand is a side conversation we are all kicking around here.

These restrictions do not apply to the East, which is the 'one shot' COSU has of properly future proofing Roots Hall - this is where the bulk of any funding needs to be spent, and will not be compromised, as long as all the pre-contract shenanigans (surveys, consultancy fees, design, planning etc.) are kept strictly in check.

The East stand will be the money maker and this I imagine is where COSU will channel the majority of the money. All other stands get as much done to them in the budget COSU have set. If that means a brand new East stand and tarted up North, South & West stands so be it. It's going to be a hell of a lot better than it is currently. And it will be ours (eventually)...
I agree, roots hall going forward will be better environment for all. I would quite happily take just new East Stand with the other 3 refurbished. Let's see if Ronnie boy will pay up which I have my doubts but that's for few years down the line.

Reactions: jnl
Note the reduction in roof height and span leading to a reduction in supporting columns at Eastleigh - this is one of ours, but we actually replaced all of the seating structure last season.
Quite rare in that the roof structure is a completely separate entity to the seating, albeit we have done this previously at Inverness (but with a cantilevered roof) - I've attached photos for those interested.

This is a better comparison in terms of scale against the current North Bank.
IMG-20230825-WA0000.jpg

Inverness CT 1.jpeg

Back