• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Teams coming up from NL South and North..

Tamworth has the best pub in the country 2022 & 2023.
I checked The Tamworth Tap, and it looks a little bijou albeit very pleasant.
Liked the updating train timetable in the bar, and handy for the ground!
Just wondering how the Blue Army would all fit in at say 1.30pm match day, and also wondering whether they would be let in at all, lol?

Braintree would likely be the best for an away day for blues numbers, although Chelmsford is vastly better for pubs etc.

There isn't much at all in Aveley and I can imagine the away tickets would be like gold dust.

Would be good to have another Essex side to visit.

I'm not even sure how segregation would work at Aveley. Certainly there's little in the way of elevated viewing positions apart from the main stand on the clubhouse side of the ground so the viewing position for away fans would probably be like a really sh*t version of Oxford or Dorking. Of the Essex sides, Braintree is going to be the best bet for decent (ish) away accommodation. I'd rather Bath won the play-offs though, now there's a proper football ground.

Hopefully Chorley make it up from the North, the others are either uninspiring (Scunthorpe, Boston) or would have a terrible view (Brackley, Alfreton, Curzon).

Braintree would likely be the best for an away day for blues numbers, although Chelmsford is vastly better for pubs etc.

There isn't much at all in Aveley and I can imagine the away tickets would be like gold dust.

Would be good to have another Essex side to visit.
I went to Aveley v Farnborough when a Southend game got called off. think it was Jan sometime. Essex Police was there as Farnboro fans had had a punch up with Slough the week before. Speaking to the police they had been in attendance when Barnet played there in the FA cup. Segregation was in place but they did say if it gets too crowded then the view of the pitch is near impossible if you are not at the front. Would be amazed if the ground could cope with large numbers of away fans on a regular basis, think Barnet had 500 there on the day they played

Would love to see Aveley move up into the NL, Scopes has done a tremendous job wherever he has been and can see him going onto bigger and better things ( would love him at SUFC ).

Great motivator and gets his players running through brick walls for him, decent honest semi pro player himself and demands the same from his mob, it seems the younger players enjoy his methods and like playing under his leadership

I went to Aveley v Farnborough when a Southend game got called off. think it was Jan sometime. Essex Police was there as Farnboro fans had had a punch up with Slough the week before. Speaking to the police they had been in attendance when Barnet played there in the FA cup. Segregation was in place but they did say if it gets too crowded then the view of the pitch is near impossible if you are not at the front. Would be amazed if the ground could cope with large numbers of away fans on a regular basis, think Barnet had 500 there on the day they played
I think it'll be a massive challenge to host our usual away following. I've been a few times to support Oli Coker when on loan there and was at the Barnet game to see Zak Brunt and Jon Benton play eachother and Barnet took a lot smaller crowd than we would. There is space to watch around the pitch, but certainly would be a significant issue with accomodating parking and refreshments (one small window and a large queue). It's a better ground than many we've been to (Ebbsfleet/Oxford etc), but small and in the middle of nowhere.

Aveley would be a a logistical nightmare for most.

Nearest train station is 3-4 miles away. There is parking at the ground, but at best it could squeeze 200 cars in, so it would fill up very quickly.

The pubs in Aveley aren’t great either. The nearest one to the ground - The Old Ship - is very small & probably a good 15 minute walk away, (if you cut through a housing estate).

The club house is fairly spacious, although I’m not sure we’d have access to it if segregation was in place, which it probably would be.

As others have said, the ground itself is very flat with only a few raised platforms to get an elevated view. The main stand is decent enough & they have a smaller meccano stand which is on the opposite touchline. Again though, due to segregation I’d be surprised if we had access to these. If we were put behind a goal, you wouldn’t see much unless you were at the front. They do have some old fashioned cattle sheds, which is maybe 5-6 steps high, but it really wouldn’t help much. If you’re stuck in a corner, you’ll see next to nothing unless you’re up against the railings. I’ve added a few photos of my most recent visit to reiterate that point.

I’d be surprised if the old bill allowed them to sell us more than 600-800 tickets. The ground itself is ideal for their current level, but **** knows how they’d cope with our away support.

That being said, I live 10 minutes away, so would be rude not to go, if it happened.

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

IMG_9340.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

IMG_9341.jpeg

IMG_9338.jpeg

How will segregation at Chelmsford work if they come up?

They have the big stand and two standing ends. In VNS they swap ends (fans) but don't think they'd let them do that at this level. They also let you drink watching the game. There is seemingly only one entrance as well. I suppose they section of some seats and put temporary standing in at the far end?

They have the big stand and two standing ends. In VNS they swap ends (fans) but don't think they'd let them do that at this level. They also let you drink watching the game. There is seemingly only one entrance as well. I suppose they section of some seats and put temporary standing in at the far end?
I think, unless stand corrected, you're permitted to drink viewing the field of play in the leagues below, but not the National League.

I've been to a segregated game at Chelmsford (vs Billericay Town in the Isthmian play-offs, not long after they moved into Melbourne). They gave the away team the side opposite side of the pitch to the main stand (there is - or used to be - a shallow, five or six row high seated stand there) plus one of the temporary terraces behind the goals. Unless you can get on that temporary terrace, the view is pretty bad. They do have another turnstile as well as the main one, if my memory serves me correctly, so should be okay on that front.

I've been to a segregated game at Chelmsford (vs Billericay Town in the Isthmian play-offs, not long after they moved into Melbourne). They gave the away team the side opposite side of the pitch to the main stand (there is - or used to be - a shallow, five or six row high seated stand there) plus one of the temporary terraces behind the goals. Unless you can get on that temporary terrace, the view is pretty bad. They do have another turnstile as well as the main one, if my memory serves me correctly, so should be okay on that front.
Feel they'd be missing out on a big pay not get some temporary seating/standing in.

I would imagine Aveley will need to do some serious work to get the stadium up to the level required.

Braintree would be very handy. A few miles walk for me (or a few thousand if I go the long way).

There will be certainly one, possibly two, segregated matches coming up in the next couple of weeks at Chelmsford.

Back