• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that Rochdale are being pretty open about their investment/sale procedure. Shame our club cannot be as transparent about what’s happening, if anything.

You see this a lot with other clubs but not all buyers want to be named before it's agreed.

I certainly hope that a sale is being agreed in the background and next season is the start of a SUFC renaissance.

I do wonder if we'll hear anything once the season is completed, closing statement if you will. Would be nice to have an update but understand why they might be being coy at the moment

You see this a lot with other clubs but not all buyers want to be named before it's agreed.

I certainly hope that a sale is being agreed in the background and next season is the start of a SUFC renaissance.
Even a simple:

“Discussions are progressing with a number of interested parties, with the hope that a sale can be concluded in advance of next season as originally planned” would do. No need for names to be mentioned etc.

Anything, rather than absolute silence on everything would be nice. We are so far behind the curve on comms, transparency and everything else, it’s embarrassing and frankly disrespectful.

I note that Rochdale are being pretty open about their investment/sale procedure. Shame our club cannot be as transparent about what’s happening, if anything.

Actually the prospective buyer went public and hence the Club responded accordingly also pointing out that in order to be considered certain basic requirements had to be met. There are other interested parties who, as with us, are in discussions and that is similarly being kept confidential I believe.

The goal is to get the best result not give a running commentary although it is entirely understandable that we want to know what’s happening.

A some buyers are all talk getting the fans onside but are unable to meet the basic requirements to engage- I suspect from Rochdale’s response they doubt the king has any clothes and are adjusting expectations accordingly..

Even a simple:

“Discussions are progressing with a number of interested parties, with the hope that a sale can be concluded in advance of next season as originally planned” would do. No need for names to be mentioned etc.

Anything, rather than absolute silence on everything would be nice. We are so far behind the curve on comms, transparency and everything else, it’s embarrassing and frankly disrespectful.
Fully agree with the post.
It’s the total disrespect to the supporters from Ron that totally pee’s me off
Ron is completely classless.

Even a simple:

Accompanied by a corner flag photo and then a 200 page thread on sz saying rons lying 👌

Could someone clever tell me exactly what is for sale ?
As we know, Ron is selling "an opportunity". As we also know, the club owns very, very little. So what actually is up for sale?

In many companies, not that many years ago, goodwill was a huge benchmark of a companies worth, until it became obvious that goodwill actually meant very little. Except maybe for football clubs, where it is a huge asset. We have a solid hard-core fan base of 4-5000, with the potential to increase that to 6-7000. These are fans who will attend regardless of what division we are in. In monetary terms, assuming an average ticket price of, say, £15, a regular 5000 paying customers will provide £1.75m per season in ticket revenue. That will be bolstered by away fans, cup runs (Ha! Fat chance!) and attendances over 5000. All in all, it would probably be safe to budget for £2m ticket sales income per season.

On top of that, there is TV money, sponsorship, transfer fees, prize money (HA!), merchandise sales, matchday bar/food income and any other income the club or stadium can generate.

I don't know what these figures actually are, but added together it will equate to the income the club can expect to receive. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it all comes to £3m.

That's what's being sold. An opportunity to take over an established club with a £3m seasonal income stream.

Any buyer will then have to see what profit they can make out of that.

Don't worry too much about the debt; it will either be paid off or written off before any owners take it on. They will get it "clean", I'm sure.

Don't worry too much about the stadium either; there are many businesses that don't own their own premises. At the moment as I understand it we are paying about £250k per year in maintenance costs so we can get a safety certificate for RH anyway. The rent I would imagine would be in the region of £400k so it's not a million miles away.

When you look at it like this, we are actually a fairly attractive proposition; a club on it's knees, punching well below where it should be, yet still with a solid fan base and the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Wrexham didn't have that, but look at the interest in them now. That's down to their high profile owners and a huge amount of cash investment that they must be confident will generate a return to make it worthwhile doing. Their owners paid under £3m for Wrexham which now, frankly, looks like a steal. They have purchased their own stadium back and it wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, they have built another one and sold off the old one for development. Ker-ching.

Makes it sound so easy, doesn't it?

As we know, Ron is selling "an opportunity". As we also know, the club owns very, very little. So what actually is up for sale?

In many companies, not that many years ago, goodwill was a huge benchmark of a companies worth, until it became obvious that goodwill actually meant very little. Except maybe for football clubs, where it is a huge asset. We have a solid hard-core fan base of 4-5000, with the potential to increase that to 6-7000. These are fans who will attend regardless of what division we are in. In monetary terms, assuming an average ticket price of, say, £15, a regular 5000 paying customers will provide £1.75m per season in ticket revenue. That will be bolstered by away fans, cup runs (Ha! Fat chance!) and attendances over 5000. All in all, it would probably be safe to budget for £2m ticket sales income per season.

On top of that, there is TV money, sponsorship, transfer fees, prize money (HA!), merchandise sales, matchday bar/food income and any other income the club or stadium can generate.

I don't know what these figures actually are, but added together it will equate to the income the club can expect to receive. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that it all comes to £3m.

That's what's being sold. An opportunity to take over an established club with a £3m seasonal income stream.

Don't worry too much about the debt; it will either be paid off or written off before any owners take it on. They will get it "clean", I'm sure.

Don't worry too much about the stadium either; there are many businesses that don't own their own premises. At the moment as I understand it we are paying about £250k per year in maintenance costs so we can get a safety certificate for RH anyway. The rent I would imagine would be in the region of £400k so it's not a million miles away.

When you look at it like this, we are actually a fairly attractive proposition; a club on it's knees, punching well below where it should be, yet still with a solid fan base and the opportunity to play in a brand new stadium.

Wrexham didn't have that, but look at the interest in them now. That's down to their high profile owners and a huge amount of cash investment that they must be confident will generate a return to make it worthwhile doing. Their owners paid under £3m for Wrexham which now, frankly, looks like a steal. They have purchased their own stadium back and it wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, they have
built another one and sold off the old one for development. Ker-ching.

Wrexham aren’t going to be moving from the Racecourse - Rob and Ryan are very proud of it being the oldest football stadium in the World that’s still in use.

They are spending many millions building a new Kop stand:

Could someone clever tell me exactly what is for sale ?
I think sometimes we have to stop treating football like it's a normal business, about which people make normal business decisions.

As I understand it, GSW hold the details of numerous interested parties who have made approaches since RM's press conference, and they seem to believe that the club will be sold.

So whatever we think may or may not be for sale......there is interest from some very wealthy individuals. Naturally that interest will need to pass RM's benchmark, but I believe that to be fairly low at the moment due to his unwillingness and/or inability to put any more money in. I'm sure GSW will have given initial info to those who have approached, and they still seem to be interested.

TL;DR - the fears of some on this board about what is or isn't for sale might not be shared by many involved on either side of the sale process.

Wrexham didn't have that, but look at the interest in them now. That's down to their high profile owners and a huge amount of cash investment that they must be confident will generate a return to make it worthwhile doing. Their owners paid under £3m for Wrexham which now, frankly, looks like a steal. They have purchased their own stadium back and it wouldn't surprise me if, within 10 years, they have built another one and sold off the old one for development. Ker-ching.

F**k me, someone's done their homework

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back