• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really not sure why people saying this is a bad deal. It's a great deal.

Roots hall is worth vastly more than 4.5 million, possibly as much as 10 million. And can be paid in installments.

Buy the club for £ and clear debts circa 2million.

Almost instantly there will be 3k+ season tickets sold giving the new owners 500k-750k to stabilise the playing squad.

Gates will undoubtedly be above 8k+ and if the club can reinvent the matchday experience, with better food and drink options (not hard) then further revenue can be brought in.

Imagine people said the same thing if Luton was for sale when in the conference and yet they have flown up the league's and find themselves at Kenilworth road playing premier League football.

There is quite literally an army of fans waiting to clean, paint and repair roots hall in their free time.

This is a fantastic opportunity to build something special.

Am I biased? Of course, but I do genuinely believe this club can have a very bright future. We just need someone with money to have the same belief.
You're forgetting a lot of that season ticket money has already gone ....

So we have opinions ranging from worst deal ever to best deal ever :ROFL: I see no problem at all resulting from fan owned clubs 🙄

I personally don't think £7m is a great deal or a bad deal. It looks about right to me for a football club plus a huge plot of land with an aging but prebuilt stadium that can hold 10k with a bit of love and care. As for the training ground I don't know what the price would be but "cost" is I think reasonable but something for the prospective owners to weigh up.

We only sold 2k season tickets. I can guarantee an additional 3k would be sold easily. We may even sell more than the championship season. Why? Because of how close we have sailed to the wind and because so many refuse to come with Ron in charge.

I'd expect crowds to be an average of over 8k even in midtable.

At least this way if somebody does come forward to buy the club then they will be in it for the long term.

We make such a huge loss every year especially compared to other nl and league 2 teams.

The new owners must view it as a long term project. And do things such as

1. Maximise match day revenue, bring this club into the 2020s with good food drink and entertainment. (Doable)

2. Get a management and football team in place that can succeed and also identify non league gems and use them and sell them on. (Already done)

3. Get the merchandising and club shop less absolutely abysmal (doable)

4. Utilise the fan base to get on top of maintaining roots hall, tradesmen volunteers and possibly the council, so it doesnt cost 400k to get a bloody safety certificate (doable)

5. Get promoted back to the league and get circa 600k in money back.

6. Pay bills on time so you arent paying 10000s in fees, lawyers, etc

7. Source a new area for a new stadium and start planning permission and be willing to accept outside investment to help, giving a slice of the pie and not blindly keeping it all.

Eventually using the prime land of roots hall to pay for it (ala ron but actually doing as opposed to failing for 20 years)

These are just a few things off the top of my head that can change, im sure there are lots more things that can be improved to increase revenue.

Needs a long term view.

More room for retail space, bars, better catering facilities, function/corporate facilities, more bars/hospitality areas.
Potential to attract 4-5k more fans every match day due to better match day experience.
We simply do not have the space at Roots Hall and therefore an investor will see FF (especially long term) as a far more attractive proposition.
I think to start go back through the thread and read the posts from Sherif who does this for a living. There is no reason why RH could not be developed to incorporate these expanded offerings and with an increased capacity.
And I would argue RH is also better located as more central compared with a more out of town location.

It's a ****e deal guys. What part of this makes it an attractive proposition for any investor?

Sorry, I would love the club to survive and would be happy as things stands to play at Southchurch in a couple of temp stands. However I really can't see a queue of investors biting Ron's hand off, the deal is terrible for anyone looking to make a return. OK there may be a fan who has £10-£20m to throw away - if so this may be attractive but for everyone else - no!
20 million despite being a ludicrous figure is actually fun money to a lot of people tbh. There is potential here.

In a normal season all of it would be gone by now- as it is there is a lot more to come.
I would be more worried if those most negative about RH had Sherifs expertise - as out of fashion as it is I think I will listen to those who do know what they are talking about.

Hopefully Kimura will do likewise- Sherif has kindly offered to guide them…

if Ron is selling everything cheap, it makes it a more attractive proposition to asset stripping owners.

As I said somewhere in the first few pages of this thread, the club is not an attractive business proposition and operates at a loss and is saddled with debt.

Quite simply, we need owners who are passionate about the club who are competent businessmen, or a billionaire who fancies a game of championship manager in real life. Anything else will most likely see us continue to limp along, or fold.

Genuine question for all those saying that any consortium or person or group looking to purchase the club will be looking for a return in their investment. Could you please let me know what club has been brought where there has been a return from the investment? I’m not talking premier league but champ down?

I don’t recall many clubs breaking even or making a profit, I can think of a handful where this has maybe occurred but usually most owners of clubs don’t do it for a return on the investment per say.

They make their money by offsetting their losses from their other business. If we take Wrexham for example purchase for £1. They needed £2m invested straight away, in addition Hollywood invested substantially in the playing staff, obtained significant sponsor deals etc, however still saw a £2m loss. With all due respect to Wrexham their ground isn’t much better than the Hall.

Yes there is investment going into the stadium at the moment to improve the capacity and match day experience.

We can do the same at Roots Hall. Anyone looking to buy the club will already be in a stronger position then with Martin at the helm for the following reasons:

1. Negatives of Martin ownership will be gone from local business that have been screwed over before and will be hopefully willing to do business with the club again

2. Increased sponsorship opportunities, number people don’t want to sponsor at Southend because of Martin and the way the club is run. Midexpro said they would return if Martin was gone, Stan said he has number of potential partners ready when Ron is gone. It’s the supply and demand element, more people want to sponsor the more we can demand for the privilege (within reason obviously)

3. Better contract terms for players, as in Agents won’t demand such high wages or fees for their services because we will be reputable again and negative view of players diminished. I’m sure we have paid over the odds because of our reputation.

4. Improved Matchday experience because investment will be made to entice people to the ground before and after. Potentially even during the week.

5. Increased ticket sales, number of people staying away due Martin ownership will return. Possible increased season ticket sales.

6. Better merchandise opportunities that could utilise local companies and the community.

7. Improvements on the pitch may lead to promotion which in turn sees addition revenue from TV rights and Matchday spend and ticket sales/increased attendance (yes playing budget would increase also but increased revenue to offset this partially)

If the right owner invests smartly and sees us return to league 1 or higher then yes they may have the opportunity to see a return from their investments. But in the lower leagues it is unlikely any club is sold with a return from the investments made this generally only happens in the prem and even then not always. So please let’s get off this return for investment argument as football isn’t like any other business is it.

There is a potential for a deal that is simple and clear (as it can be without knowing the finer detail) that could see us survive and stay at RH for the time being either long term with opportunities discussed on here and explained by @Sherif H with great insight and knowledge. Or we have potential of moving somewhere in the future (don’t know here but who knows what the future holds)

Let’s try and look at this as a positive and potentially a sign that things could change quickly and we start 5th of august with a team still that will be invested in and positive future to look forward to.

Add to all of this something that is a semi popular documentary…

Please Southend council - can we have planning permission?

Of course.

Good - we were gonna send the Rock and Winstone round with some pool balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back