• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were them I wouldn’t either. I’m struggling to see how they get a return on their investment, and that is what their backers are by all accounts - investors seeking a return on their cash over and above the risk free rate that one earns by having cash in the bank.

Ron’s deal would be great for a supporter with lots of money but I struggle to see the return on investment. Maybe that’s why I work in finance but am not a banker though?
Fine, then what do we think they do want?

Why would Ron quote the price HE paid for RH if he was planning to lease it to the new buyers? Wouldn't make sense.....now if buying RH is good value or not is a different thing altogether.
UTB

It's a simple equation for any business/investor
Where are the returns on said initial layout?
I'm afraid in the case of a derelict stadium attached to a football team that needs funding and rebuilding then the answer is naff all returns.

If I were them I wouldn’t either. I’m struggling to see how they get a return on their investment, and that is what their backers are by all accounts - investors seeking a return on their cash over and above the risk free rate that one earns by having cash in the bank.

Ron’s deal would be great for a supporter with lots of money but I struggle to see the return on investment. Maybe that’s why I work in finance but am not a banker though?
So if no one is interested in the offer what next ?

Fine, then what do we think they do want?
Pretty much what Ron does, i.e. the property deal at Fossetts Farm, but with the addition of the club. It sounds to me like Ron’s valuation of the “opportunity” is significantly greater than what they are offering in the current market conditions and given interest rates and costs are where they are.

Last edited:
Volume wise i agree, just do not think we can get bigger stands on the west and south due to backing on to residential properties.
The west stand lies at a much lower level to the houses behind , even with its double barrel roof! The spare ground between the gardens and stadium gives plenty of scope for an alternative roof design giving a greater seating capacity with better views combined with new facilities situated underneath the stand.

Perhaps I am being really Naive but here is my take!
Ron has used SUFC to acquire the land at FF to build a Stadium.
Ron has used a multitude of excuses, delays etc so that FF has not been built
Ron now sells Rots Hall and the Training ground and basically divests himself of any links to the club (and its losses, need for a new ground investment etc.)
Ron has the land at FF to build on but doesn't need to build a stadium so can build Houses/Apartments etc.
Ron makes a lot of money!!

It's a simple equation for any business/investor
Where are the returns on said initial layout?
I'm afraid in the case of a derelict stadium attached to a football team that needs funding and rebuilding then the answer is naff all returns.
But what would the club and stadium be worth if proper investment were made and in perhaps 10 years, we were in the First Division or Championship... that's the vision.

“I am working directly with two sets of buyers, both of whom are credible. I am doing this and speaking to the club owner multiple times a day. There is still a very real risk that the club will not start the season. Anna Firth is working with the National League in this regard and, as you would expect, is doing a fab job. The club is bigger than any one person or consortium, and my sole interest is our club’s survival. At this late stage linking the deal to a new stadium or property development in Fossetts is flawed. Ron Martin accepts this. The club needs to be signed over cleanly with Roots Hall included, with a clear break from the current owner. It also needs to be sold at a clear public price to allow all bidders to come to it. It is, alas, a lot more complicated than that. However, if a buy and seller can agree on a headline figure and the football debts are cleared, we can start the season.”

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Question is who are the two credible buyers and is the K group one of them

Ron now sells Rots Hall and the Training ground and basically divests himself of any links to the club (and its losses, need for a new ground investment etc.)
Ron has the land at FF to build on but doesn't need to build a stadium so can build Houses/Apartments etc.
Exactly, in a nutshell.

As well as Fratton Park (I was at uni in Portsmouth and was often there) it would be worthwhile having a look at Plymouth Argyles Home Park. The main stand was undergoing a huge redevelopment the last time I was there.
My old company did that. When I was there we redeveloped The Hive for Barnet and Watford's East Stand, which I believe someone else mentioned earlier on this thread.

Kimura was allegedly not in it for property reasons, e.g., the whole of FF. Their investment return seemed to come from realising synergies with existing business interests, e.g., e-sports, sport media and player agent businesses and sweating the new stadium to produce non matchday revenue.

That opportunity still exists at RH - but it will need vision and cash to repurpose RH to enable the synergies to be realised and generate the necessary non match day revenue. If the price Ron is talking about is too high I don't know. If there could be grants available to repurpose RH I don't know - I guess that would take time so would be difficult to take that into account in the purchase price.

Alternatively to a developer that opportunity to find the club a new stadium (or let the club go bust) and redevelop RH into flats exists - they just need to do it before they run out of money, as Ron has found out.

Last edited:
And has had a living out of Southend utd for over 25 years along with his family. Bentleys on lease from club et all. How much was he paying himself in management fees anyone know and to think so many organisation inc the trust went along with it for years

I really can't see us surviving, Ron is for ever moving the goalposts, a few days ago it was a 3 year lease, now its buy roots hall for now what's a **** hole falling apart, for the same as what he brought it for 25years ago, how about you apply the same discount you took when you stole it, How can he not be held to account for destroying our club and running off with a fortune the man is an absolute deluded scumbag.

Except - the market for new builds has changed drastically because mortgage affordability is a mess.

Even then, Ron wouldn't be able to secure any loaned funds to build it and make the same profit as previously expected.

Except - the market for new builds has changed drastically because mortgage affordability is a mess.

Even then, Ron wouldn't be able to secure any loaned funds to build it and make the same profit as previously expected.

But the Rental Market is booming so he keeps the flats and just rents perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back