• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for anyone who has been working all day and not been following SZ waiting for any expected announcement and can't be bothered to read pages and pages my summary would be as follows:

Guy who is on the forum works in stadium design says we could do a refurb on RH in situ and it would cost a fraction of FF. This is supported by him being involved in Fratton Park doing something similar and including videos.

This has led to two camps:

Those excited that it could be a possibility fuelled by Ron saying the club and RH are up for sale and a rumour that Kimura could be tabling an offer of that type.

Those, who to my knowledge don't have any experience in stadium design, swearing blind it can't be done and FF would be cheaper.

Still no announcement and another day lost.
Also no statement from 🐀

In theory we could build brand new Col U type 20m stadium at FF......But none of us want to embarrass ourselves and stoop that low.

Fact remains, a brand new main stand will be cheaper to build at FF than it would at RH if they are both the same. Any builder on the zone can tell us that.
In peace - but take embarrassment out of the equation as you’ll be a lot more devastated if you go out of the league.
As a Col U fan I’m the first to admit it lacks the character and soul of my beloved layer road BUT it’s there, it’s functional and it surrounds a patch of grass hosting league football.
@Sherif H will be able to correct me but from memory he was involved in our new ground and it can easily be expanded to an attendance of 16k without too much extra work.
It’s not got the curves or sexiness of Brighton or arsenal but it’s home.

Reactions: GDM
So for anyone who has been working all day and not been following SZ waiting for any expected announcement and can't be bothered to read pages and pages my summary would be as follows:

Guy who is on the forum works in stadium design says we could do a refurb on RH in situ and it would cost a fraction of FF. This is supported by him being involved in Fratton Park doing something similar and including videos.

This has led to two camps:

Those excited that it could be a possibility fuelled by Ron saying the club and RH are up for sale and a rumour that Kimura could be tabling an offer of that type.

Those, who to my knowledge don't have any experience in stadium design, swearing blind it can't be done and FF would be cheaper.

Still no announcement and another day lost.
Ergo, just another ordinary day on the Zone!

AF interview:

She wants the council to grant the safety certificate even though RH hasn't passed (my interpretation).

She doesn't have much faith in Ron and is pretty ****ed off with him (again, my interpretation).

She doesn't want the club to die because it looks terrible for the city (and for the city's council / politicians) (my interpretation)

She will lobby central government (for what I don't know)

Lots of warm words about the fans, community asset etc. (nice touch)

Not overly confident in success over the next couple of weeks (but the club could still carry on even if we get kicked out- fantastic)
If it's not safe then that shouldn't be over-ridden

In peace - but take embarrassment out of the equation as you’ll be a lot more devastated if you go out of the league.
As a Col U fan I’m the first to admit it lacks the character and soul of my beloved layer road BUT it’s there, it’s functional and it surrounds a patch of grass hosting league football.
@Sherif H will be able to correct me but from memory he was involved in our new ground and it can easily be expanded to an attendance of 16k without too much extra work.
It’s not got the curves or sexiness of Brighton or arsenal but it’s home.
I was one of two Project Managers monitoring the build on behalf of the Council....

All I am saying is there is a credible option for subtle redevelopment works at RH, for a lot less than FF. If a buyer wanted to take this route instead. This would give us significantly increased revenue streams compared to now.
I agree, and could be done in stages, a stand at a time for example. Oldham for example, did one main stand it’s now got a conference/party venue, and a gym in it. All extra revenue for the club.

Make a match day an experience, and a day out. Not just 90 minutes.

AF interview:

She wants the council to grant the safety certificate even though RH hasn't passed (my interpretation).

She doesn't have much faith in Ron and is pretty ****ed off with him (again, my interpretation).

She doesn't want the club to die because it looks terrible for the city (and for the city's council / politicians) (my interpretation)

She will lobby central government (for what I don't know)

Lots of warm words about the fans, community asset etc. (nice touch)

Not overly confident in success over the next couple of weeks (but the club could still carry on even if we get kicked out- fantastic)
I don't think that is an unreasonable interpretation of what she said. She's trying to be upbeat, but there isn't much for her to base it upon.

The stuff about Levelling Up money was interesting, albeit it isn't going to be easy to get that in play in the time frame you are working to. Civil servants are going to want to know that they aren't throwing good money into a bottomless pit, and I'm also unclear what the money would be used for.

Of the NL's three conditions, it is the safety certificate that worries me the most, to be honest. I don't think that is necessarily easy to expedite, and she did say there was a sticking point.

I also noticed she either doesn't know anything about a likely deal, or doesn't think one is near. It might explain why she was keen to stay on the right side of the CEO of the NL.

If a government loan is forthcoming to pay the staff their wages that can only be a good thing. And if Ron is willing to accept that debt as his personal responsibility I for one will be significantly less vitriolic from now on.

Hang on. It’s been a long day. That weasel would never agree to that! That loan will just mean that SUFC will owe “X” amount to the taxpayer instead of the staff!

There’s no way out of this without a buyer, is there?

Can anyone better then me quickly pull up the post which summarised what Ron would say today in a statement from when he spoke to the supporters in the morning

Everyone should listen to this - less than 10mins. But sums it up well.

I think we're stuffed. Even if we get the council to fund the remedial works and the govt to pay off the staff, that only allows us to start the season. What happens in Sept or Oct when wages are due and Ron won't pay?

So in theory, we could give the whole place a good facelift, plus a good upgrade (compared to now) on the corporate/entertainment facilities for £10m-£15m?

FF in its current form is what nearer £40-£45m?

As a Plan B, it's worth exploring for any potential owner surely.
What about the initial purchase price for roots hall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back