• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do this at the Northampton Saints ground with multiple food trucks accessible, works brilliantly. Food trucks are all the rage now as well so you could get some really varied options for all tastes.
Rugby massively kicked off the food truck game. I was going to the odd match 10-12 years ago and there were varied food truck options outside then.

Rugby massively kicked off the food truck game. I was going to the odd match 10-12 years ago and there were varied food truck options outside then.
The issue is at Rugby there is a greater amount of leeway to “wander”, whether to get a drink or to where the food trucks are based. A pass to get in and out to access car park food trucks during a match/ at half time would do great business I think.

Speaking from having been to Franklin’s Gardens to see Saints, a large portion of people who go aren’t actually big rugby fans, but with the range of food on offer and places to sit and enjoy that before the game, the experience is greater than just the sport, and so becomes something whole families can enjoy. I don’t think many football teams have really mastered the whole “day out” experience as much as other sports have.

I imagine there are some family members of supporters who would come along to games if there were nice food options and seating areas in the car park, as it would feel much more of a day out for them. I don’t imagine the promise of an onion-less burger and a national league game quite does it so much for anyone not that interested in the actual football.

The issue is at Rugby there is a greater amount of leeway to “wander”, whether to get a drink or to where the food trucks are based. A pass to get in and out to access car park food trucks during a match/ at half time would do great business I think.

Speaking from having been to Franklin’s Gardens to see Saints, a large portion of people who go aren’t actually big rugby fans, but with the range of food on offer and places to sit and enjoy that before the game, the experience is greater than just the sport, and so becomes something whole families can enjoy. I don’t think many football teams have really mastered the whole “day out” experience as much as other sports have.

I imagine there are some family members of supporters who would come along to games if there were nice food options and seating areas in the car park, as it would feel much more of a day out for them. I don’t imagine the promise of an onion-less burger and a national league game quite does it so much for anyone not that interested in the actual football.
To a degree it depends where you put the turnstiles, and therefore the secure ticketed area.

I live near the Oval cricket ground and there is a perimeter wall separate from the stadium building which has turnstiles, with car parking and foot outlets / vans inside it. Roots Hall doesn’t really have the space, and in the case of the East stand the turnstiles are part of the stand itself.

Fossetts could be done differently, to allow for more space to circulate outside of game time.

The atmosphere at rugby is very different too, home and away fans mix and generally feels more respectful. I’ll take my son to football when he’s a bit older (and we’re in the prem).

This last bit is so true. We could have craft beer stalls and decent food from vans like you get at music festivals. We’ve got the space in that car park and at least 5k through the door every other Saturday, use it to your advantage.

Don’t hold it against me, but I went to an Orient game this season (father in law is an O’s fan) and they have embraced exactly this (Modern / quality food vans) as well as technology to pre order HT drinks all things that could be transferred to FF if needed.

You could have food trucks in the car park all paying a fee to SUFC. Much easier to run. Perhaps have a pass out system from inside until half time. No alcohol outside to persuade more families to attend
Inside, people will (always have) pay for quality food and drink. All sorts of new ways for the delivery of the product to the punter is happening all the time.
If it is done right particularly pricing and stewardship everyone wins.
The basic premise of using the Roots Hall car park better is very true, especially the area near the ticket office/shop that was part of a factory unit from Roots Hall Drive.

BUT imo many of the fans, especially the younger fans, who would be the core market for the new enterprise are located in the West Stand and there is no practical way for them to access or egress the car park and stadium .
And what about loos?

The basic premise of using the Roots Hall car park better is very true, especially the area near the ticket office/shop that was part of a factory unit from Roots Hall Drive.

BUT imo many of the fans, especially the younger fans, who would be the core market for the new enterprise are located in the West Stand and there is no practical way for them to access or egress the car park and stadium .
And what about loos?
Those core fans won’t use the fan zone anyway. The whole idea is to create a family friendly area pushing up matchday spend.

Roots Hall is limited in what can be done but there needs to be something there to begin that journey to a new home and not just act as a shock at the new stadium that all of a sudden there’s a fan zone with people never having been to one before.

Oh and loos? Portaloos aren’t exactly expensive to hire.

I think we could easily average 10k with a new stadium and this could rise to 15k if we were to get into the first division.
I used to be a season ticket holder and year on year I have been going to fewer games. This has been due to various reasons but one is the poor state of Roots Hall. The food and drink is terrible and it's extremely uncomfortable (especially if like me you are over 6ft). It's almost impossible for me to drag my 10 year old son to Roots Hall on a cold January afternoon...
I would definitely buy both my son and I a season ticket if we were to move to a new ground under new ownership and I think so would many more.

I think we’ve drifted massively off topic talking about food trucks and portaloos!

Let’s keep this one for matters directly related to the sale of the club - feel free to start another one about the potential for a better match day experience!
I agree though there are a lot of good ideas mentioned. I quess until the announcement and clarity about the new owners plans and Ron's involvement with FF and any agreement fans will fill in the gaps. We really don't know apart from rumours what the future plans are. Ron or at least his companies are not going away even if there is the offer of a free ride to the outskirts of town. I can't wait to hear the detailed plans. Hopefully this week.

Last edited:

And what about loos?
I don't think we want food vans in the loos

I agree though there are a lot of good ideas mentioned. I quess until the announcement and clarity about the new owners plans and Ron's involvement with FF and any agreement fans will fill in the gaps. We really don't know apart from tumours what the future plans are. Ron or at least his companies are not going away even if there is the offer of a free ride to the outskirts of town. I can't wait to hear the detailed plans. Hopefully this week.
As typos go, that's a pretty bad one!

I agree though there are a lot of good ideas mentioned. I quess until the announcement and clarity about the new owners plans and Ron's involvement with FF and any agreement fans will fill in the gaps. We really don't know apart from rumours what the future plans are. Ron or at least his companies are not going away even if there is the offer of a free ride to the outskirts of town. I can't wait to hear the detailed plans. Hopefully this week.

I believe the new owners will want to openly engage with supporters and answer as many questions as they can, regarding the process of moving the club forward. SZ will be (one of) the place(s) for that. Communication between the hierarchy and the fans will be a lot different than what we’ve been used to.

Watch this space….

For speed of getting out from under Ron completely I wouldn't mind us moving asap into the three sided ground if all passed and yhe new owners having free rein on the 4th side, amending how they see fit.

Just got back from a stag do in cologne and a couple of the chaps I went with used to work for Gary Petitt. They sung his praises, said he was a good boss operated a tight ship but was very fair etc. The sort of guy they think would be successful in anything he turns his hand to. This is only their opinion, but the thing that gave me the most confidence in the new ownership team is that they were sure he wouldn't be involved unless there was substantial investment and a real chance to come in and lead a successful project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back