• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future SUFC up for sale

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the whole point of enabling development....one finances the other

oh well .... whatever happens, or does not happen, with these possible speculative developments it wont involve Ron Martin.

It wont involve RM because he has no money.

He can't get the grass cut - he can't pay the tax man - he cant pay his staff ...

there is no FF, no stadium, no flats, no houses - there are some planning permissions and broke local property developer trying to empty the last few quid out of his golden goose - SUFC

Ron will sadly outlive Southend United at this rate.

You all laughed at me when I said he wouldn't sell. I truly believe it's in his best interests for the club to fold so he can use the land.

No one is going to spend millions on a National League South side
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the land on Fossetts Farm had to be used for a stadium for Southend United and couldn't be used for anything else, without approval I'm guessing. Again, I could be wrong

Actually it's the Archbishop of York. Trust you to get it wrong.
He’s better known as a columnist in All At Sea.

Please clarify - I believe you mentioned it would cost at least £10m to flatten Roots Hall and redevelop? Happy to tailor my thoughts once I understand what exactly you are referring to.
I don’t think he’s disagreeing with you. Someone said it would cost maybe £10m (plucking a number out of the air) and he said it would cost at least that, as in he expects it to be more. He wasn’t giving an estimate but rather saying it would be north of that.

Forget moving the pitch - I can tell you that it would be possible to complete a sympathetic and relatively soft touch redevelopment of Roots Hall by building over the existing stands. If you want to know more, have a look at what we just finished at Fratton Park on the North and South Stands...

Give me half an hour with a new owner, and I'll have an option in front of them to redevelop Roots Hall in its entirety for about a quarter of what it will take to build FF.
There is no room to redevelop Root Hall, with Flats on both side.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s better known as a columnist in All At Sea.

I don’t think he’s disagreeing with you. Someone said it would cost maybe £10m (plucking a number out of the air) and he said it would cost at least that, as in he expects it to be more. He wasn’t giving an estimate but rather saying it would be north of that.
Hence my question as to what that was based upon - there are a lot of people on forums who pluck information from thin air (or a mate who purports to be 'ITK') and ends up creating widespread misinformation...

The other problem with that is how would it be funded? I have no idea how much that would cost but as a complete guess at least £10million to completely re-build Roots Hall (maybe more).

FF funds itself with all the money from the housing. A redevelopment would have to be funded entirely by a new owner. I’m not sure why someone would make such a significant investment when they’re unlikely to get a return, unless they were a Southend fan.
One of the three "opportunities" Ron is offering is a combined sale of the club and the FF stadium. Why is it considered feasible for a buyer to purchase the club and fund the building of FF stadium but considered impossible for a buyer to purchase the club and fund a new stadium at Roots Hall?.

One of the three "opportunities" Ron is offering is a combined sale of the club and the FF stadium. Why is it considered feasible for a buyer to purchase the club and fund the building of FF stadium but considered impossible for a buyer to purchase the club and fund a new stadium at Roots Hall?.
Because planning would have to go back to square one probably..

Anything is possible on any site - it just depends on the bigger picture, and in this instance the bigger picture is that FF is the keystone for Ron to unlock the development potential of that wider site and make his fortune.
FF stadium was only the keystone because it allowed him to generate funds from building on Roots Hall. He had to generate these funds because HE NEVER HAD ANY MONEY TO START WITH. If he sells Roots Hall to the buyer of SUFC then the funds he receives from the buyer become the new keystone to unlock his housing development at FF. He gets his millions and we get our SUFC and Roots Hall back.

Apologies for the shouting CAPS.

Because all the planning at Roots Hall and Fossetts would have to start again, as kentblues said, and also Flats would be sold at a higher price at the Roots Hall location, as the City Centre is only a shortish walk up Victoria Avenue. So they would really want to build flats on the Roots Hall site especially. Money and profit always talks.

Forget moving the pitch - I can tell you that it would be possible to complete a sympathetic and relatively soft touch redevelopment of Roots Hall by building over the existing stands. If you want to know more, have a look at what we just finished at Fratton Park on the North and South Stands...

Give me half an hour with a new owner, and I'll have an option in front of them to redevelop Roots Hall in its entirety for about a quarter of what it will take to build FF.
If I was the new owner that's exactly what I would do, 2 new stands East and West lower pitch level to address south stand lower pitch views, North stand just for away supporters so get what they get!

Because planning would have to go back to square one probably..
Once a new owner is in place at Roots Hall there wouldn't be the planning urgency for SUFC. The owner could spend enough money to keep the old stadium going and then sit down with a blank sheet of paper and start rebuilding this club from scratch. Ron would have some planning changes at FF, i.e. replacing the stadium footprint with housing. But while he is doing that he can get on with building the housing at FF that he already has planning permission for. The time pressure will be off both SUFC and Ron Martin. Win-Win.

I don't see FF stadium as an asset. It's the big millstone that is taking both SUFC and Ron down. We have all spent so long under Ron's spell that we can't see the wood for the trees. Ditch FF stadium, sell Roots Hall and all these problems become manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back